Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We can't win

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner_Havok's Avatar
    vCash

We can't win

And no, I am not talking about the "war on terror"

Biofuels are Bad

If we keep using foreign oil, we are killing the environment and feeding terrorists. If we grow our own fuel, we are killing the environment and starving the poor. WTF?!?!

And last I checked, not much rain forest in the US or UK. And again, last I checked, corn grown in Iowa is grown in the US, and thus is ours to do whatever we want to with. I don't see the problem here, let the US and UK grow their own fuel, that will lower the demand for oil, hence lower the price of oil. If the US "goes green" then the world will have greatly reduced it "carbon footprint" and the rest of the developing worl can continue to use arab oil until the figure out who to balance food production and biofuel production.

Blaming the US and the UK for causing deforestation by switching to biofuels seems pretty nearsighted to me
    If I am right, then religious fundamentalists will not go to Heaven, because there is no Heaven. If THEY are right, then they will not go to Heaven, because they are hypocrites.

-Isaac Asimov

SoonerFans.com Elite Member sooner_born_1960's Avatar
    vCash

Re: We can't win

Not that I give a damn about carbon footprints, but doesn't ethanol have a similar one to petroleum?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by sooner_born_1960 View Post
    Not that I give a damn about carbon footprints, but doesn't ethanol have a similar one to petroleum?
    Yeah. But, in theory, if you continue to replant the biofuel crop year after year, it will reabsorb the same amount of carbon that cars burning fuels derived from previous crops emit.

So, again in theory, carbon levels would level off instead of continuing upward.
    If I am right, then religious fundamentalists will not go to Heaven, because there is no Heaven. If THEY are right, then they will not go to Heaven, because they are hypocrites.

-Isaac Asimov

vCash

OK. Whatever. If it's cost effective for the producer to grow corn for fuel, he should go ahead and do it.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member tommieharris91's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner_Havok View Post
    And no, I am not talking about the "war on terror"

Biofuels are Bad

If we keep using foreign oil, we are killing the environment and feeding terrorists. If we grow our own fuel, we are killing the environment and starving the poor. WTF?!?!

And last I checked, not much rain forest in the US or UK. And again, last I checked, corn grown in Iowa is grown in the US, and thus is ours to do whatever we want to with. I don't see the problem here, let the US and UK grow their own fuel, that will lower the demand for oil, hence lower the price of oil.
    What your assumpition misses here is that, while oil demand is falling because people are using a substitute, demand for corn, and thus the price of corn, corn products, and livestock that eat corn, rises due to finding a new use for it. Farmers will plant more corn to bring down the price of corn, crowding out other crops, driving their supply down and their price up.
    "If your dream ain't bigger than you, there's a problem with your dream." -Deion Sanders

vCash

I like Ethanol , Just sayin
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jerk's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    I like Ethanol , Just sayin
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Fred Bastiat

vCash

Do the same people who buy into the ethanol scam also fall prey to Nigerian emails?
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Fred Bastiat

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tommieharris91 View Post
    What your assumpition misses here is that, while oil demand is falling because people are using a substitute, demand for corn, and thus the price of corn, corn products, and livestock that eat corn, rises due to finding a new use for it. Farmers will plant more corn to bring down the price of corn, crowding out other crops, driving their supply down and their price up.
    Yeah, corn is a **** poor crop for biofuels. Algae on the other hand...

seems that it might offer the biggest bang for the buck. Only problem, kicking the corn producing farmer of America of the government subsidy teat.

-Isaac Asimov

vCash

Hey, as soon as I send that nice Nigerian banking offical 300 more dollars, we'll see who's falling prey to what.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jerk View Post
    Do the same people who buy into the ethanol scam also fall prey to Nigerian emails?
    If ya drink enough of that ethanol . you will prolly get drunk enough to drink that Nigerian Cool aid .
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

vCash

All I know is that until we can build more nukes, or until photovoltaic cells efficiency increases, biofuels seem like a good idea. I'm "mad as hell" and I don't want other countries to continue to leach of America. Us US Americans do enough leaching as it is, we don't need any more help.

-Isaac Asimov

vCash

The only thing good that can come from this is if corn gets so expensive that it's cheaper for the soda makers to go back to using real sugar.
    - Fred Bastiat

vCash

All I know is that until we can build more nukes, or until photovoltaic cells efficiency increases, biofuels seem like a good idea. I'm "mad as hell" and I don't want other countries to continue to leach of America. Us US Americans do enough leaching as it is, we don't need any more help.
    Yeah! I think we should drill for our own oil instead of buying it from that commie punk Chavez.
    - Fred Bastiat

vCash

Yeah! I think we should drill for our own oil instead of buying it from that commie punk Chavez.
    Still kind of short sighted. Think of all the oil used in the US from 1950 to now. Think there is that much oil still buried under US soil? We gots to find something else to sever the ties to the middle east permanently.

-Isaac Asimov

vCash

Think there is that much oil still buried under US soil?
    We have more oil than Saudi Arabia in the rocky mountains and dakotas. As metioned in another thread, it is now economical to drill for it (shale oil). We also have 10.4 BILLION barrels under ANWAR but we can't drill for it without the hippies crying. There are enormous reserves offshore, like in the Gulf of Mexico.

http://www.doi.gov/news/030312.htm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14678206/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/5318776.stm

http://www.americanfreepress.net/htm...ssive_oil.html
    - Fred Bastiat

vCash

We have more oil than Saudi Arabia in the rocky mountains and dakotas. As metioned in another thread, it is now economical to drill for it (shale oil). We also have 10.4 BILLION barrels under ANWAR but we can't drill for it without the hippies crying. There are enormous reserves offshore, like in the Gulf of Mexico.

http://www.doi.gov/news/030312.htm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14678206/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/5318776.stm

http://www.americanfreepress.net/htm...ssive_oil.html
    Kay, but presently the US burns through about 7,154,000,000 barrels of oil a year, that is 7.154 Billion barrels of oil per year, and that is a low number.
    Last edited by Sooner_Havok; 4/15/2008 at 07:41 PM.

-Isaac Asimov

vCash

When the rest of the World runs out....we'll get the price we truly deserve.

Quit being a bunch of "I want it now" types.

We need to build 9 more Nimitz Class Carriers IMO.

Then even the Chinese will fall in line at the Boone Pickens Filling Stations World Wide.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

Okay, here's my suggestion.

Lets go completely nuclear for public electricity ASAP.

At the same time, lets convert to hybrid gas-electric for cars and trucks. Since the car batteries will be recharged from safe, clean, efficient nuclear public utilities, we should save beaucoup on the carbon emissions.

There. Now, when may I claim my Nobel prize please?

Oh, and please, no anti-nuclear talk. Even France is building reactors as fast as it can. It is the "progressive" way of the future for public utilities. As far as the nuke waste goes, heck, we got lots of big square far-western states. We just pick one, dig a very deep hole and drop that stuff into it. Or, there is this thing called the Marianas Trench in the middle of the Pacific where the ocean is several miles deep. El Dumpo into no problemo.
    Last edited by Okla-homey; 4/16/2008 at 05:54 AM.
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

vCash

Shoot that **** into Outer space .