Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member BudSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Oh ****ing great....

Oil sets new record high above $113.

If it weren't on the other side of town, I would get a bike to ride to work.
    This sucks.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 r5TPsooner's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Oh ****ing great....

I really feel bad for those who use diesel fuel in there vehicles.
    "The true genius shudders at incompleteness and usually prefers silence to saying something which is not everything it should Be."
    -Edgar Allan Poe

Ride the bus

vCash

...but just think if you owned a couple of oil wells how happy you'd be.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member NormanPride's Avatar
    vCash

I carpool with badger, and it's the best thing ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by badger
    I'm changing your sig while you're not looking while I borrow your computer.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member BudSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by kbsooner21 View Post
    Ride the bus
    Bus service on this side of town is pathetic, to get near a bus stop you must walk close to a mile away. And then there is the issue of the bus getting there on time.

Meh, in 1 1/2 months it won't matter anyway since I won't have a need to go to the shop unless it's to pick up parts, that should be the beginning of my home start program...driving a company vehicle has it's perks.

vCash

time to increase the service rates
    “If a team is to reach its potential, each player must be willing to subordinate his personal goals to the good of the team.”

Bud Wilkinson

vCash

until people decide it sucks to drive 30+ minutes to work, it's not really going to change

where's Jed?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

The Bakken oil reserve is now estimated at about 3.5 billion barrels (North Dakota). Some were thinking it would come in at 200 billion barrels. While 3.5 billion is nothing to sneeze at, the 200b number would have changed everything for the better. As I understand it, it's under a lake in N.D., and horizontal drilling has made feasible to go for....that plus the ungodly price of oil today....
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

SoonerFans.com Elite Member tommieharris91's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by r5TPsooner View Post
    I really feel bad for those who use diesel fuel in there vehicles.
    And on top of this news, inflation this month was higher than expected. I wonder why...?
    "If your dream ain't bigger than you, there's a problem with your dream." -Deion Sanders

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tommieharris91 View Post
    And on top of this news, inflation this month was higher than expected. I wonder why...?
    I'm not sure but I bet either Hillary or Obama are to blame.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OklahomaRed's Avatar
    vCash

It's going to the highest bidder. The oil companies are typical corporate for profit owned companies that are going to sell to the highest bidder. The issue is the fact that you have other countries coming on line with their economies (i.e. China, South America, India, Africa). Their demand is starting to push into the US's demand for oil. Thus the erosion of the US dollar to match the world market. The only answer is to either pay more, use less (which the price will still remain high as long as world demand stays high), or come up with alternative energy sources (you see where the dude that started Greenpeace now says nuclear energy is okay). The US mistake is to think that we can still control the world economy like we did 10 years ago. Not going to happen. The best thing we can do is attempt to stay one step ahead of everyone, or get ready to go the way of France and Europe and start forming alliances with other countries on an economical level.
    The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
    Theodore Roosevelt

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
    I'm not sure but I bet either Hillary or Obama are to blame.
    I blame all politicians for everything. I wanna make them get me rich and I don't wanna pay no taxes!!
    "If your dream ain't bigger than you, there's a problem with your dream." -Deion Sanders

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OklahomaRed View Post
    It's going to the highest bidder. The oil companies are typical corporate for profit owned companies that are going to sell to the highest bidder. The issue is the fact that you have other countries coming on line with their economies (i.e. China, South America, India, Africa). Their demand is starting to push into the US's demand for oil. Thus the erosion of the US dollar to match the world market. The only answer is to either pay more, use less (which the price will still remain high as long as world demand stays high), or come up with alternative energy sources (you see where the dude that started Greenpeace now says nuclear energy is okay). The US mistake is to think that we can still control the world economy like we did 10 years ago. Not going to happen. The best thing we can do is attempt to stay one step ahead of everyone, or get ready to go the way of France and Europe and start forming alliances with other countries on an economical level.
    Please, preytell how you come to the conclusion that more oil demand overseas is causing the US$ to depreciate.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    Wishing I was moving to Monroe, Oklahoma...
    vCash

The just finished loading a tanker here, I think it was 1.3 million barrels. Heading to California I believe.
    Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jerk's Avatar
    vCash

We should drill for our own oil and build more refineries...but our own government seems to get in the way...why is that?
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Fred Bastiat

Mmm... ...ribs.

vCash

1. High oil prices are eventually going to make people re-examine where they live, and how they get to work. Lots of people will move closer to the center of communities, which will cut the infrastructure cost for cities, allowing for better quality of life. Other people will use public transit, or find jobs closer to home, or telecommute, etc. Some people will choose vehicles with better fuel economy. All of these things will to some extent reduce fuel consumption, which will have positive enviromental effects.
    2. High oil prices are especially good for the economy in Oklahoma, and specifically Oklahoma City.
    3. I live downtown, work downtown, and when I drive I'm either in a company vehicle with a corporate gas card, or I'm on my scooter, which gets 80+ MPG.
    I hope oil goes to $200/barrel.
    Well, crap.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    Wishing I was moving to Monroe, Oklahoma...
    vCash

BRJ - I do think you are correct, the insurgence of inside the beltway living is beginning and living in the city will become the norm. Suburban living I belive will be on the wane.
    Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.

Mmm... ...ribs.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TheHumanAlphabet View Post
    BRJ - I do think you are correct, the insurgence of inside the beltway living is beginning and living in the city will become the norm. Suburban living I belive will be on the wane.
    Yeah, the suburban lifestyle is just not sustainable. I mean, it has been around for over half a century, but at what cost? It has been subsidized for years through a number of means, including billions in income tax dollars that pay for national defense (needed to protect our oil interests in the middle east). In the case of a city like Oklahoma City that is very spread out, people who live in the inner city and consume far fewer resources (there is an economy of scale for roads, emergency services and the like), and yet they pay for spread-out services in far-flung parts of the city. All a result of bad planning and a mid-century snowjob that convinced everyone that suburban life was "the American Dream."

I could go on and on about how expensive our car culture is in many, many ways (most of which have nothing to do with the environment or spending money on gas).

Lots of people are waking up to the idea that suburban living can be a pretty empty existence, and people moving downtown (all over the country) is an example of the current generation of adults rejecting their parents' idea of said "American Dream." This was happening before oil became outrageous, and high fuel prices will only hasten the migration.

I think America will look like a pretty different place in another couple of decades.
    Last edited by BigRedJed; 4/15/2008 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Decade, century, what's the difference?
    Well, crap.

Mmm... ...ribs.

vCash

And when I say "moving downtown," I really just mean moving into the center of a community, where goods, services, employment etc. are close by and convenient. It doesn't have to be in a super-dense urban environment, although the logical extreme is to be able to walk to work, to the store, to the coffee shop, to the doctor.

But there are lots of ways to skin a cat. Living in a near-center historic neighborhood with yards, sidewalks, and all of the charm of the ORIGINAL suburbs (without a lot of the suburban blight and mindless, unneccessary sprawl) is one way that might be more palatable to some. Living in a "new urbanist" part of town, with new construction, denser buildings, connected services and transit links is another method. Places like Mockingbird Station in Dallas are an example of this. There are far better examples, but that's one a lot of people on this board have probably been exposed to.
    Well, crap.