Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member Collier11's Avatar
    vCash

Good thing Shaq doesnt get a vote cus he doesnt like OKC

Shaq shares in fans' dismay

By JIM MOORE
    P-I COLUMNIST
    THE PHOENIX SUNS beat writer said Shaquille O'Neal didn't usually talk to reporters before games, so I walked into the visiting locker room thinking he wouldn't have much to say, if anything at all.

Grant Hill was seated next to O'Neal, and I thought, well, if I ask Hill a few questions about the Sonics and their situation here, maybe the big fella would join the conversation.

Sure enough, he did. Want to know what Shaq thinks about the Sonics' possible move to Oklahoma City? He feels like most Sonics fans.
    "It's dumb, it's stupid," O'Neal said. "They should have to wait from the bottom like everyone else."

I'm not sure what that meant, but since Shaq said it, I wrote it down. I'm assuming he thinks Oklahoma City should have to wait for an expansion team instead of taking someone else's.

"Seattle has tradition, the Space Needle, and there's water here," Shaq said. "Oklahoma City's a college town. You're not going to have the TV market there."
    He was just getting warmed up.

"When I think of Seattle, I think of G.P., the Reign Man, Sikma, Lenny Wilkens," Shaq said. "The Oklahoma City Sonics? When my son asks me about that, I'll say there's no such thing."

He said he'd rather play in Seattle than Oklahoma City any day of the week, month and decade.

But Wednesday night's game might have been the last in Seattle for the Big Aristotle, an NBA legend who was acquired by Phoenix from Miami on Feb. 6. He is asked if he can recall his greatest game here, and he doesn't think he had any.

"But I had a lot of good ones," Shaq said.

Like most of the Suns, he is unfamiliar with the problems that have led to the possible end of the Sonics' 41-year history in Seattle, but it sounds like he'd back Mayor Greg Nickels in his verbal battles with NBA commissioner David Stern. He thinks if the Sonics had a better team, there would be more support from the community.

"If you don't have the players, people aren't going to pay," Shaq said. "If LeBron was here, you wouldn't have these issues. The young fella (Kevin Durant) has the potential to be like that, but (it's going to take) three to five years."

When you listen to Hill and Shaq, you determine that most NBA players prefer Seattle to Oklahoma City.

"That's a bad road trip," Hill said of Oklahoma City. "It's cold. This shouldn't happen. Seattle's a great market, a great city, and I would think there's a lot of money in this city. It's a shame. They had a good product.

"When I think of Seattle, it's hard to see what's going on now. When I came into the league, it was rockin'."

Hill and Shaq remember playing at the Tacoma Dome during the 1994-95 season while KeyArena was being renovated, and now it's considered obsolete. Eddie Johnson has a hard time believing that.

"This was the best arena I ever played in at playoff time," said Johnson, who was here when the Sonics had some magical seasons in the early to mid-'90s.

"I'm sad," said Johnson, now an analyst on the Suns TV broadcasts. "You look at this city and see that the Mariners have a new facility, the Seahawks have one, and the only team that's won a championship has got to get a remodel. I don't get it. I don't understand that part. This city deserves a basketball team."

He walks into KeyArena and the memories always come back to him. The 1992-93 team that lost to Phoenix in Game 7 of the Western Conference finals was "by far the most talented team I've ever played for," Johnson said.

And now? A team that mails it in from time to time, especially of late, giving up 168 points in Denver last Sunday night. Clearly the Save Our Sonics folks are trying to save the franchise, not this team. Hill is asked if he can believe an NBA team allowed 168 points.

"Hopefully they'll do it again tonight," he said.

Suns coach Mike D'Antoni sat on the bench an hour before tipoff while Steve Nash worked on his perimeter game. Asked if he thinks it will be the Suns' last game here, D'Antoni said: "I hope not. My mother-in-law lives here, and my wife's family is all from here. Hopefully it will all sort out. It's a great place to play, a great city, and traditionally, they've been great fans."

After hitting his last warm-up jumper, Nash left the court and expressed the same sentiments. Nash grew up in Victoria, B.C., and there were no teams closer than the Sonics after the Vancouver Grizzlies left for Memphis in 2001.

"I'm sorry for the fans," Nash said. "It's a great basketball city. They deserve a club here. ... Obviously, I'm not privy to all the reasons, but it doesn't make sense on the surface."

Hill summed it up better than anyone, saying, "The people who get shortchanged here, of course, are the fans."

P-I columnist Jim Moore can be reached at 206-448-8013 or [email protected]. His columns appear Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.

I Survived Drunkytown with OleVet and all I got was this rash!

With a record of 109-23 (.826) and six Big 12 championships in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
    ~ Ivan Maisel

http://sportslife11.blogspot.com/

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Ton Loc's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Good thing Shaq doesnt get a vote cus he doesnt like OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Collier11 View Post
    "That's a bad road trip," Hill said of Oklahoma City. "It's cold. This shouldn't happen. Seattle's a great market, a great city, and I would think there's a lot of money in this city. It's a shame. They had a good product.
    It's cold in OKC but not in Seattle???? What's this guy smoking?!

vCash

This just in: Seattle is a bigger city than OKC. Get used to players and coaches slamming the move.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bri View Post
    This just in: Seattle is a bigger city than OKC. Get used to players and coaches slamming the move.
    Sacramento gets hyped up all the time, they could show a little restraint until they visit here more than once or twice
    Ranger Reese of OVJ country, Patrollin tha hood.

With a record of 109-23 (.826) and six Big 12 championships in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
    ~ Ivan Maisel

vCash

Dude, I hate to side with Shaq, but when you're used to major metropolitan centers and all the myriad things they have to offer a young millionare with decidedly urban tastes, OKC just isn't gonna do it for you. It doesn't matter if you've only made one trip, five trips, or a million. It's not like OKC is an infinite onion of exciting nightlife options, one layer more awesome than the last.

Mmm... ...ribs.

vCash

It is colder in OKC than Seattle during the NBA season. Go look at a climatological map.
    Well, crap.

vCash

Science, FTW!
    "If you don't become an actor you'll never be a factor" - Lupe Fiasco

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bri View Post
    Dude, I hate to side with Shaq, but when you're used to major metropolitan centers and all the myriad things they have to offer a young millionare with decidedly urban tastes, OKC just isn't gonna do it for you. It doesn't matter if you've only made one trip, five trips, or a million. It's not like OKC is an infinite onion of exciting nightlife options, one layer more awesome than the last.
    Understandable, but hell! They have to go to Houston and all its sh*ttiness.

~ Ivan Maisel

Mmm... ...ribs.

vCash

Shaq and those guys just haven't paid attention to how the city of Seattle has treated that franchise, even before these guys owned it. The facility and lease are the worst in the league from a business standpoint, and it causes the owners to lose tens of millions per year. The position they will be in here will be far better from an owner's perspective, but that's not what the players are concerned about.

Plus, they really don't know anything about OKC, so it's easy to see why the automatic reaction is to assume it will be a lousy trade. On the surface, to people who don't concern themselves with the financial end of things in Seattle and who know not a lot about OKC, it surely looks like a really bad move. But it's not, and they'll become educated at some point.

As for comparing the cities, there's no comparison. I am a professional OKC lover, and even I realize that Seattle is one of the greatest cities in America, and has a vitality that we can only aspire to. The thing we have working for us right now is a hunger and collective vision that I think few cities in America can match. One day we will be spoken of in the same breath as most of the cities now in the NBA. One place we will never be able to compete with Seattle: geography. One place we might be able to outdo Seattle and other cities in the long term: they have precious few Oklahomans.
    Well, crap.

Mmm... ...ribs.

vCash

Most people don't think deep enough to understand the advantages of being the only major league team in a market (the same reason the NBA works better here than say, Kansas City), or the advantages of a city having a debt-free state-of-the-art facility. No other facility in the NBA is debt-free. It's a HUGE advantage.

So, from the outside looking in, it's easy to see how even some NBA players see it as a bad choice, but after a little digging, they'll see that it's not what they think it is.

Still doesn't change the fact that, at least for the forseeable future, Seattle probably makes for a better road trip from a player's point of view.
    Well, crap.

vCash

The big fella was just in a bad mood. Besides Seattle is a cool place.

Mmm... ...ribs.

vCash

I don't think he was just in a bad mood. He's said it more than just this once. He obviously thinks it's a bad idea. At some point I believe he'll be convinced otherwise, and even if not, oh well.
    Well, crap.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 soonermix's Avatar
    vCash

did shaq ever play in okc while the hornets were visiting?
    maybe he shouldn't be quite so negative until he does imo
    < this space reserved for something clever >

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Charles Barkley was once negative about OKC also. Unlike some groups's and area's responses to criticism, Oklahoma leaders and Oklahoma City chose to respond differently - by inviting Barkley to visit and change his perception.

Either Shaq wants a similar invite...

...or more likely, he was like Charles Barkley, relying on general perceptions of Oklahoma and OKC, which can lead to jokes about whether or not we have electricity and running water

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    Charles Barkley was once negative about OKC also. Unlike some groups's and area's responses to criticism, Oklahoma leaders and Oklahoma City chose to respond differently - by inviting Barkley to visit and change his perception.

Either Shaq wants a similar invite...

...or more likely, he was like Charles Barkley, relying on general perceptions of Oklahoma and OKC, which can lead to jokes about whether or not we have electricity and running water
    we live in T-pees also

~ Ivan Maisel

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Oklahoma is one of those places you have to spend some time in to really appreciate. For me, it is the people that really set it apart. Some of the Hornets players really seemed to like it, and I don't think they were just being diplomatic. Besides, I don't think Sacramento or Memphis have much on OKC.

vCash

cowbells and gang violence

~ Ivan Maisel

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Consider the the source:a grown man with a girls name.I of course can say this from a position of saftey and anonymity .I ain't stupid enough to say it to his face.
    Owen '05-'26 122-54-16 .677 (Foundation)
    Wilkinson '47-'63 145-29-4 .829 (DYNASTY 1) 3 NC
    Switzer '73-'88 157-29-4 .837(DYNASTY 2) 3 NC
    Stoops '99- PRESENT 179-46.793 (DYNASTY 3) 1 NC and still WAITING

At OU tradition is about more than just one coach 861-319-53 .720

Scattergun toting Posse member

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 soonermix's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stoopified View Post
    Consider the the source:a grown man with a girls name.I of course can say this from a position of saftey and anonymity .I ain't stupid enough to say it to his face.
    what do you call Shaq with no arms and no legs???

anything you want lol
    < this space reserved for something clever >

vCash

If Grant Hill can handle 6 years in Detroit, he can handle 5-6 visits to OKC a year.