Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

The Oklahoma City "_______'s"

According to ESPN, we f'in billhillies are gonna hafta come up with an NBA team name (Report: Sonics willing to leave name, history behind)

So where do we go from here? Let's get the obvious out of the way:

Better Nate than Lever

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: The Oklahoma City "_______'s"

vCash

vCash

vCash

Ad Age ran a story on this a few days ago, and was pretty typical of the coastal mentality and no sense of history or background. http://adage.com/article?article_id=125849 (their site is down for maintenance at the moment, however)

Here's the thing, even with the Sonic Drive-Ins aside, OKC is more deserving of the name than Seattle, and here's why:

Seattle named their team because Boeing got the SST contract. But the SST was scrapped and never got off the ground. Why? Well in part due to the results of Operation Bongo II, where OKC was subjected to 400+ sonic booms over a 6 month period. Meanwhile, OKC has plenty of planes out at Tinker capable of Mach 1.

But the name is just a bargaining chip at this point, a bone to toss in return for Bennett being allowed to move the team.
    The Oklahoma City Blazers of the 1990's could not have done a worse job with their accounting if they had kept their ledgers on Big Chief tablets...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GoOwls View Post
    According to ESPN, we f'in billhillies are gonna hafta come up with an NBA team name (Report: Sonics willing to leave name, history behind)
    Yeesh... the idiocy of the comments on there is bordering on obscene. No hoops history in this state? Ever heard of the Phillips 66ers? They were better than most NBA teams in the 1950s, and were actually offered NBA membership at one point (the idea that Bartlesville could have been in the NBA in 1953 is an interesting one, but the 66ers paid better than most NBA teams). Ever heard of Hank Iba)? Ever heard of Abe Lemons? Marques Haynes? Alvin Adams? Wayman Tisdale? Bob Kurland? Cripes I'm leaving lots of people out, but the point is the ignorance of other never surprises me.

Or maybe we should hack off Duke and the Utah Jazz and call them the Blue Devils.
    The Oklahoma City Blazers of the 1990's could not have done a worse job with their accounting if they had kept their ledgers on Big Chief tablets...

vCash

Oklahoma City Christians:

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerTerry's Avatar
    vCash

CHARLIE!!

very nice. Spek
    I fly fake airplanes

How about the Panhandlers? Takes care of the state geography AND the NBA.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 NewAZTiger's Avatar
    vCash

How about picking a name that doesn't end in a s so you can add to the trivia question regarding team names that don't end in an s.

How about "Boomers." It can be in reference to Sonic Boom....or to the Boomers who made the run. Or, "Sonic Boomers."

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Heavyrunner View Post
    How about "Boomers." It can be in reference to Sonic Boom....or to the Boomers who made the run. Or, "Sonic Boomers."
    Sooners!

Oh wait...

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SteelClip49's Avatar
    vCash

what was BBJ thinking when he came up with the Land Run?
    Land Thieves Legend

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by FmrEmpOUathdept View Post
    what was BBJ thinking when he came up with the Land Run?
    That's a name that's been floated with other efforts, such as the CBA team that became the Cavalry, IIRC.

It's not, however, a name that lends itself easily to marketable imagery. Boomers does (I'm thinking a cannon), but I think OU would get upset with the name, not that they have any right to it.

Which reminds me, Bennett better have the name already picked out and the trademark filed, or someone's going to squat a bunch of names and make a pest of themselves. Similarly, checking trademark records is a good way to see what a team is up to, though many have gotten smart and put out dummy filings. The Houston Texans did - they had a lot of us thinking the team would be the Toros.

Mmm... ...ribs.

vCash

Oklahoma City Stampede. Running bison in the logo and a buffalo mascot. You're welcome.
    Well, crap.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SouthFortySooner's Avatar
    vCash

After the bombing, the "Terror in the Heartland" banners on the national news seemed to bond us with the nation. Something with that theme in mind. uhhhh , "The Centers". i gt nutn
    " Ok children put your hands on your heart... and face Norman."

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SouthFortySooner View Post
    After the bombing, the "Terror in the Heartland" banners on the national news seemed to bond us with the nation. Something with that theme in mind. uhhhh , "The Centers". i gt nutn
    Well here's your logo if you're going to call them the Heartlanders...

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SteelClip49's Avatar
    vCash

Several people mentioning Gunners, Gunslingers on WWLS....listen people, there is a reason why Washington is not the BULLETS anymore.

BBJ thinks Slickers is not a good name buit I think it fits. Roadrunners, Waving Wheat (ghey, i know), Rumble or Rumblers, Dust Devils, Dirt Devils are some other ideas. I know the 89ers was baseball but why not basketball?
    Land Thieves Legend

vCash

Oklahoma City Tulsans.