Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash

Re: Electoral College Map

Quote Originally Posted by OklahomaTuba View Post
    I'd vote for Zell any day. Ditto for Leiberman (sans Mr. Global Warming).
    Zell Miller is absolutely fantastic and I wish to God we had 98 more guys just like him. Miller is decidedly liberal/progressive in his politics, but the man understands the differing constitutional responsibilities of the states v. the Federal government. He was accused more than once on flip-flopping on the issues when he was in the Senate since he opposed programs that were similar to and/or mirrored programs he himself had championed in Georgia. Zell Miller never flip-flopped on many of those issues he just just understood what was appropriate on the state level was not appropriate on the national level.

Lieberman on the other hand is an absolute horrid decision. Why the hell would you ever vote for the guy? You agree with him on one thing and one thing only, the war. You do realize there's a thing called "domestic policy" and on domestic policy he's decidedly liberal, right?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by CORNholio View Post
    A man who has been tested by the pits or war garners much more respect than a woman who has never known anything but luxury, and is more capable of leadership.
    I agree it garners more respect, but how does an accumulation of respect=a better President?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SicEmBaylor View Post
    First of all, the electoral college was not designed to be the best means of ensuring every individual vote is of equal weight -- it was designed to give the states power and input on the national level. I couldn't care less about every vote carrying equal weight and personally believe that the expansion of suffrage is one of the greatest evils and threats to the Republic.

My concern with eliminating the Electoral College is the effect it'll have on the delicate balance between the constitutional responsibilities of the states and Federal government. More important than "checks and balances" among the Federal branches, in my opinion, is the ability of the states and Federal government to "check" one another's power. The constitution attempts to delicately balance both vertical and horizontal checks, and unfortunately those vertical checks have been systematically dismantled and eliminated.

People who advocate to dissolution of the electoral college either don't understand or don't care the brilliant but delicate complexity of playing branches and levels of government off on one another.

The Constitution has been shredded enough -- let's not continue to find new ways of continuing to do so.
    I don't argue the systematic dismantling of states rights that have gone on for over a century. Greedy federalists have been advocating the dismantle of states rights behind the scenes for 150 years. The electoral college on the other hand has done nothing to preserve the rights of states only to privilege the states who have attracted more population and make the votes of the outspoken in the conservative portions of the country obsolete.
    405>580>1-900>918

vCash

The dismantling of the states rights was the first step towards the dismantling of local liberties and the eventual downfall of this country by greed and authoritative federal regulation.
    405>580>1-900>918

vCash

I agree it garners more respect, but how does an accumulation of respect=a better President?
    The man is wiser than hillary. basically. the man has proven his medal and hillary has proven nothing. Why would I hire an idealistic man straight out of college when I can hire a grounded man with 20 years of successful experience and a proven record? Does the man who has lived it not deserve more than the person who talks about it?
    405>580>1-900>918

vCash

Just call it intuition if nothing else. A natural judge of character.
    405>580>1-900>918

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

I'm not sure how anyone who thinks it's witty, funny, and/or intelligent to playoff someone's middle name as a form of commentary on the man's politics can seriously roll their eyes at someone else for personal attacks.
    Oh no, I used BHO's evil middle name.

And somehow, that = a personal attack on a poster???

vCash

Lieberman on the other hand is an absolute horrid decision. Why the hell would you ever vote for the guy? You agree with him on one thing and one thing only, the war. You do realize there's a thing called "domestic policy" and on domestic policy he's decidedly liberal, right?
    I agree with him on a couple of things. He is not a left-wing liberal at all, but a moderate, which is why the extremist left HATES him.

He is very pro-Religous liberty, which is counter to the left's vision of enforced state sponsored humanism and censorship of Judeo-Christian thought and heritage.

But his stance on national security is the primary reason I would ever vote for him for anything. That is the #1 issue in my mind.

vCash

IMO, we are going to get a democrat for president. I think Obama would bring down the USA the fastest of all 3 people left running, and am delighted that somebody has been able to bring his likely racism to the forefront. We can likey get through 4 yrs of Hillary with some of the greatness of America intact. Not so much with Obama. Hillary, you go, girl!
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member sooner_born_1960's Avatar
    vCash

Good call, Sicem.