Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

I listened to BHO's speech today.

Nice speech. Some very inspiring rhetoric. The guy has a gift.

Here's the part that bothered me. BHO said he didn't agree with his preacher's screeds demonizing white folks, but he could not disown Jeremiah Wright any more than he could disown the black community.

Now, here's the way I see this kids.

Fred Phelps is a white preacher in Topeka KS who preaches hate just like BHO's preacher does. Of course, Phelps rails against gay folks, while BHO's pastor hates white folks, so it's not a precise fit in that sense.

However, it works to make the following point. I'm a straight white d00d but I have no compunction about disowning and villifying Fred Phelps as a dangerous extremist. Therefore, I fail to see why BHO feels incapable of disowning Jeremiah Wright. Or, in the alternative, is the presumptive presidential nominee trying to have it both ways?

what do you guys think?

"Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

Re: I listened to BHO's speech today.

I think you make a great point. I also think that BHO took speech lessons from The Rock.
    Quote Originally Posted by OU4LIFE View Post

I'm almost positive i'm not gay, and I'm 100% not a poke fan.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Pricetag's Avatar
    vCash

I'm thinking that Wright has said and done a lot of stuff that Obama agrees with in an agenda of advancing the black race. This latest deal, however inflammatory and off-base, was just a part of that (a part he would have done well to drop, IMO).

I don't see how Phelps' stuff could be seen as part of an agenda to advance the white race, or any other thing, for that matter. Apart from the fiery rehetoric, I don't see how they're similar.

Personally, I'm impressed that Obama has responded the way he has. It disgusts me to see politicians ditch anything and everything that becomes a political liability (flip-flop, anyone?). He's chosen to stick with this, and we'll see how it affects him. Personally, I think the people making the most noise about this are the ones who never would have voted for him anyway.
    La ola es mía.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Flagstaffsooner's Avatar
    vCash

I say BHO is full of bull$hit.
    posse member

SoonerFans.com Elite Member crawfish's Avatar
    vCash

Obama did as good as he could have possibly done; but it may not end up being nearly enough. While I think whites will vote for a black man, I don't think they'll vote for an angry black man. If he can't shake that image then he probably won't win.

Soonerfans.com Elitist sooneron's Avatar
    vCash

I think he should drop the preacher like a bad habit, but first you must ask yourself. "Do I agree with and/or believe in everything my preacher/clergyman says?" Maybe someone should have Hill grill him on it. She got him to reject Farkhan's endorsement.
    Oh sweet jesus. Its like watching the special olympics in high definition on here now.
    Soonerinabilene

SoonerFans.com Elite Member JohnnyMack's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Okla-homey View Post

Here's the part that bothered me. BHO said he didn't agree with his preacher's screeds demonizing white folks, but he could not disown Jeremiah Wright any more than he could disown the black community.

Fred Phelps is a white preacher in Topeka KS who preaches hate just like BHO's preacher does. Of course, Phelps rails against gay folks, while BHO's pastor hates white folks, so it's not a precise fit in that sense.

However, it works to make the following point. I'm a straight white d00d but I have no compunction about disowning and villifying Fred Phelps as a dangerous extremist. Therefore, I fail to see why BHO feels incapable of disowning Jeremiah Wright. Or, in the alternative, is the presumptive presidential nominee trying to have it both ways?

what do you guys think?

Fred Phelps isn't your pastor nor has he been for 20 some odd years, so that comparison doesn't fly with me.

If your Uncle/Father/Preacher or some other person you considered a close mentor said something off-color would you disown and villify him? Would you blow 20 years of a relationship out of the airlock over a series of soundbytes?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Okla-homey View Post

what do you guys think?

BHO will have to totally renounce the preacher of hate at some point, or he will alienate the white dems, and the extremist black vote won't be anywhere enough to win him any national election.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
    Fred Phelps isn't your pastor nor has he been for 20 some odd years, so that comparison doesn't fly with me.

If your Uncle/Father/Preacher or some other person you considered a close mentor said something off-color would you disown and villify him? Would you blow 20 years of a relationship out of the airlock over a series of soundbytes?
    ****-poor analogy dude.

My uncle/father/preacher could say something "off-color" and I wouldn't disown him. However, if my uncle/father/preacher was an avowed racist, bigot, and hater who has spent the past couple decades or more preaching the evil of the black race then yeah, I would. Even you can see how crappy your analogy is, no?

Sooner Starter
    vCash

You are hurting your own point. My family went to a church close to the house a couple of months ago. The preacher came across as somewhat of a nut, so we never went back. Any normal person would quit going to a church that espoused things you found wrong or unacceptable. Obama chose to go to this church for 20 years, yet he is now trying to disassociate himself with the pastor. And if you believe this was the first time that his pastor said something to that effect, you are truly in denial.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Whet's Avatar
    vCash

Barry has accepted the racist minister for over 20 years, although he "claims" to have never heard Wright spew his venom (yea, right). The radicalism preached by Wright follows the radicalism espoused by Barry and is wife. If you look at Barry's past associations, you can see where his loyalties and beliefs are derived. Nothing much has been said about Barry's relationship with two unrepentent Weathermen, nor is connections with the democratic socalist society.

Barry may speak with a velvet voice, but that does not cover up his beliefs or his past. Rather than listening to the talk, look at his walk - if he walked two miles, he would walk in a complete circle, since he is so left of center!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by C&CDean View Post
    ****-poor analogy dude.

My uncle/father/preacher could say something "off-color" and I wouldn't disown him. However, if my uncle/father/preacher was an avowed racist, bigot, and hater who has spent the past couple decades or more preaching the evil of the black race then yeah, I would. Even you can see how crappy your analogy is, no?
    You don't know any more about the preacher that what you've seen in 60 seconds worth of soundbytes. BHO's 20 year relationship with him versus your 60 second Sportscenter analysis are two different things. So I think I'll have to trust his opinion in this matter instead of yours.

Administrator
    vCash

You don't know any more about the preacher that what you've seen in 60 seconds worth of soundbytes. BHO's 20 year relationship with him versus your 60 second Sportscenter analysis are two different things. So I think I'll have to trust his opinion in this matter instead of yours.
    Go ahead. It wouldn't be the first time you took the stupid train.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Whet View Post
    Barry has accepted the racist minister for over 20 years, although he "claims" to have never heard Wright spew his venom (yea, right). The radicalism preached by Wright follows the radicalism espoused by Barry and is wife. If you look at Barry's past associations, you can see where his loyalties and beliefs are derived. Nothing much has been said about Barry's relationship with two unrepentent Weathermen, nor is connections with the democratic socalist society.

Barry may speak with a velvet voice, but that does not cover up his beliefs or his past. Rather than listening to the talk, look at his walk - if he walked two miles, he would walk in a complete circle, since he is so left of center!
    Dude, you said Barry like a hundred times in this post. Jeez.

Of course the "people" don't care what type of character, morals, values, or anything meaningful a prez has got going on, all they care about is "do he look good and do he talk good?" "People" are ****ing idiots.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by C&CDean View Post
    Go ahead. It wouldn't be the first time you took the stupid train.
    This one stops at presumptive-judgmental-ville.

Whooo whooo!!!!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerProphet's Avatar
    vCash

Is anyone asking McCain to distance himself from John Hagee?

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerProphet View Post
    Is anyone asking McCain to distance himself from John Hagee?
    Was John McCain a member of his church for 20 years? Did Hagee marry Mcain and his wife, and baptize his kids?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 shaun4411's Avatar
    vCash

i think obama's point is that this guy is his friend, and he wont simply just disown his friend for saying things he doesnt agree with. doesnt mean they'll still hang out and have a beer everyday after work. his other point is that these statements arent what he preaches at every sermon every week. that the statements on the radio/tv/internet are the most extreme from his most extreme speeches.

at the same time...he could have disassociated himself in public with this guy the minute the decided to be a public figure on a national stage. amazing it hasnt hit him harder. i guarantee if mccain's pastor for 20 years had been outwardly saying the exact same things, mccain would be taking an 8 month vacation in the caribbean instead of wasting another penny on his campaign.
    I'm tired of chasing my dreams. I'm just gonna ask where they're going and catch up with them later.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Condescending Sooner View Post
    You are hurting your own point. My family went to a church close to the house a couple of months ago. The preacher came across as somewhat of a nut, so we never went back. Any normal person would quit going to a church that espoused things you found wrong or unacceptable. Obama chose to go to this church for 20 years, yet he is now trying to disassociate himself with the pastor. And if you believe this was the first time that his pastor said something to that effect, you are truly in denial.
    Not so much as you might like to think.

And I don't go to church so I wouldn't know. I spend my Sunday mornings drinking coffee, eating bagels, reading the paper and worshiping Satan in all his dark glory.

And if you bothered to watch the speech (which I'm sure you didn't, as you've already made up your mind) you'd know that he didn't disassociate himself from Wright.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerProphet's Avatar
    vCash

No and no. Does this alter the point for either? Just because someone has recieved the endorsement of, or been affiliated with does not mean that they hold the same beliefs of that person.

I find Hagee's ideology deplorable, but that does nt mean I think McCain is some how intertwined with his dispensationalist views.