Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 LilSooner's Avatar
    vCash

I'm going to LONDON!

England! This hillbilly princess is going across the big pond in October. Yes I'm going to miss the OU/Texas game, but the is a once in a life time trip with my mom.

Best part of all. ALL EXPENSES PAID.

Whoohooo so what do I need to see.
    "Yea, and the shins of the wicked were smote."-Lil 22:18

and behold I looked in the sky, and saw a rider on a pale horse, the rider's name was death, and Lil Sooner followed after,....Revalations

Mmm... ...ribs.

vCash

Re: I'm going to LONDON!

The tube is your friend.
    Well, crap.

Mmm... ...ribs.

vCash

Wha..?
    Well, crap.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Whet's Avatar
    vCash

The famous London Bridge! No, wait, that is here now!

vCash

Heh we are staying at this really cool hotel right by the palace. I am super excited. Although now I have to pay an extra 75 buck to get my stupid passport updated with my new married name.

and behold I looked in the sky, and saw a rider on a pale horse, the rider's name was death, and Lil Sooner followed after,....Revalations

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

London calling..
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    Wishing I was moving to Monroe, Oklahoma...
    vCash

London, ehh. (Just been there so much it is old hat...) Just hope the dollar isn't at .5 to the pound sterling.

And yes, the tube is your friend. And the Gatwick or Heathrow Express into London is also your friend.
    Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.

vCash

LilSooner...

I watched a show this morning about Queen Boudicca.

She was a Celtic Queen who led her people in a revolt against the Romans.

She sacked London and a few other cities.

Do you plan on doing some plundering while there?

Mmm... ...ribs.

vCash

Of all of the "touristy" stuff I did there, the Tower of London was the most interesting. I generally don't like doing the typical tourist thing, and prefer to try to blend in a city. But the Tower was pretty dang cool.

Also, I recommend the National Gallery. Simply amazing. Harrod's will blow your mind. Piccadilly Circus is cool. Madam Tussaud's is fantastic. Go hang out in one of the huge parks. Buy a sausage from a Croation street vendor who speaks no English. Check out SoHo. London has GREAT Indian and Chinese restaurants. Actully, the food there in general gets a bad rap. I had some great meals there.

But my favourite part of being there was hanging in out-of-the-way pubs, or going to grocery stores, and just doing things that Londoners were doing.
    Well, crap.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

By "the palace," I'm guessing you mean Buckingham. How long you going to be there? If you're a shopper, I recommend Burlington Arcade.

There's a lot of really neat stuff to see outside of London. In another life, I used to travel to England two or three times a year on business. Peem me if you're interested in specific places.

Windsor Castle (the "other" palace)
    Stratford-upon-Avon (Willy Shakespeare's stomping ground)
    The Cotswolds (if you have the time)
    Stonehenge

...the list goes on...

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner_Bob's Avatar
    vCash

Jolly good show . . .

Mmm... ...ribs.

vCash

Also, don't be afraid to use the black taxicabs. They're more heavily regulated than most U.S. cities, IMO, and are very consistently a clean, safe and reasonable way to get places you can't conveniently/quickly get on the Tube. Of course, there are precious few of those, so you should primarily be riding the Tube, IMO.
    Well, crap.

vCash

You can see Boudicca's statue by the Parliament Building in London.

Mmm... ...ribs.

vCash

If you're only going to be there a week, don't get too tempted to go see other places in England. There's enough to do/see in London to keep you really busy, and you'll feel cheated if you shortchange London too much. You should promise yourself that you'll go back and visit other parts of the U.K., and just commit to London for the most part.

My next trip is going to be to the Cotswolds, I think. I stayed a couple of days with friends who live in Abingdon (just outside of Oxford), which is on the edge of the Cotswolds, and we took a quick daytrip through some of the towns there. It's like a fairy tale time-warp. I also recommend Bath, FWIW, but you can knock that town out in a couple of days.
    Well, crap.

Mmm... ...ribs.

vCash

wolds. D'oh.
    Well, crap.

vCash

We will be there from the 9-15. I wonder if they will show the game over there?

Anyways my mom and I love our Indian food so we are going to have to check that out. We are also big shoppers so I already am planing on purchasing a Luella Bartley handbag.

We also like to drink (we are Irish/Cherokee shocking I know) so we are going to have to find a fun pub.

vCash

ouflak.

vCash

Like I told Rhino I am going on a fact finding mission. Next year we are going to try to take two weeks and basically go back packing across Europe like we couldn't afford to do in college.

Mmm... ...ribs.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by LilSooner View Post
    ...We also like to drink (we are Irish/Cherokee shocking I know) so we are going to have to find a fun pub.
    That won't be difficult. There will probably be a dozen fun pubs within walking distance of wherever you're staying. Try a number of them. And don't fear the pub food. It's the best food deal in the U.K., and usually pretty darn tasty.
    Well, crap.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member TUSooner's Avatar
    Inside your monitor. Hit it with a hammer to release me and get 3 wishes.
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedJed View Post
    Of all of the "touristy" stuff I did there, the Tower of London was the most interesting. I generally don't like doing the typical tourist thing, and prefer to try to blend in a city. But the Tower was pretty dang cool.

Also, I recommend the National Gallery. Simply amazing. Harrod's will blow your mind. Piccadilly Circus is cool. Madam Tussaud's is fantastic. Go hang out in one of the huge parks. Buy a sausage from a Croation street vendor who speaks no English. Check out SoHo. London has GREAT Indian and Chinese restaurants. Actully, the food there in general gets a bad rap. I had some great meals there.

But my favourite part of being there was hanging in out-of-the-way pubs, or going to grocery stores, and just doing things that Londoners were doing.
    WORD, except I never even did the cool touristy stuff 'cept Harrod's. I was traveleing with my wife and teen-aged daughters, so we HAD to go there. I did go to Churchill's underground war HQ in Whitehall; it was awesome. We stayed in a tourist flat in Notting Hill, near Portobello Rd. Great, great, great fun.

My best days were spent just walking all over the place, and riding the tube. I'd never turn down a trip to London, even though it's killer expensive (especially since the dollar IS prob'ly worth about 40 pence). I don't care how much people say things have changed, or how expensive it is, or that a huge stretch of the western part of Oxford St looks like the Gaza Strip, London is one fan-dang-frikkin-tastic city. I'm jealous; have fun.
    You tell me it's the institution. Well, you know, you'd better free your mind instead.
    (Shoo-bee doo-wah)