Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2013 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS Osce0la's Avatar
    vCash

Do you agree with this?

The woman that works with me turned in her 2 weeks notice last Wednesday (2/27)...The following Monday (3/3) she called in, Tuesday she called and told them she wouldn't be here until around noon, and yesterday she came in and worked until 11...Now she is mad because she was told this morning that she will not be listed as 'eligible for re-hire'. I don't agree with our managers on very many things, but I don't think she has any reason to be mad - hell, if we could just take time off whenever we felt like it during our final 2 weeks I'd never even show up...
    Quote Originally Posted by C&CDean View Post
    Besides, a bitch gotta party, yo.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: Do you agree with this?

Pretty common short-timer's disease. I'm guessing she wasn't particularly valuable before giving notice.

vCash

She is a good worker (annoying and a little stupid, but still a good worker)...Pretty much all 3 of us over here are viewed as 'bad employees' by our manager - biggest part of why I am glad I am getting the hell out of here. I just can't believe she is surprised that when she has only been here for a total of 7 hours during the first 3 days of this week (during her 2 week notice) they won't list her as eligible for re-hire...

vCash

I am not starting my new job until the 24th, but will be leaving here on the 19th...I will get paid for the vacation days I was not able to use, so I figured I could just sit at hom Thursday and Friday and then start the new job on Monday...

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Hot Rod's Avatar
    vCash

So, she does want to have an option to come back to place where she doesn't seem to care about....makes sense.

Congrats though Osce0la!
    Ahahahaha...I like it!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    Wishing I was moving to Monroe, Oklahoma...
    vCash

So why would she care if she is "eligible for rehire" if she has been slacking like that...I don't get. Oh, BTW, I can think of only one job my entire life that I went to after I quit. It was my chicken frying job at Krystal's hamburgers in high school.
    Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.

Mmm... ...ribs.

vCash

That's why a lot of managers let someone go the moment they give notice. Unless it's a pretty special/critical employee, there's not a lot to be gained by letting someone work out their two weeks, and often a lot to be lost by doing so.
    Well, crap.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member sooner_born_1960's Avatar
    vCash

I think it's best not to burn bridges.

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TheHumanAlphabet View Post
    So why would she care if she is "eligible for rehire" if she has been slacking like that...I don't get. Oh, BTW, I can think of only one job my entire life that I went to after I quit. It was my chicken frying job at Krystal's hamburgers in high school.
    Policy at my current employer is to not hire anyone who has a reference listing "Not eligible for rehire" within the last five years.

But yeah, calling in sick during your final two weeks is a no no. Heck, you want revenge-get everyone in your office sick in those last two weeks and cash in the extra leave!
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedJed View Post
    That's why a lot of managers let someone go the moment they give notice. Unless it's a pretty special/critical employee, there's not a lot to be gained by letting someone work out their two weeks, and often a lot to be lost by doing so.
    She does have a critical job here (corporate actions)...If she just quit today (or if she had just walked out instead of giving a notice) there's not very many people here that would be able to take over for her (everyone else that knew how to do that desk has been run off by the current manager as well). About the only people that really know that desk are our manager and our supervisor (who still doesn't know it very well)...

It isn't that she doesn't like the company, she doesn't like the people we work for (same goes for me)...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rich View Post
    Policy at my current employer is to not hire anyone who has a reference listing "Not eligible for rehire" within the last five years.
    But yeah, calling in sick during your final two weeks is a no no. Heck, you want revenge-get everyone in your office sick in those last two weeks and cash in the extra leave!
    A lot of businesses have policies like that - that is why I wouldn't want it listed with this job...Not to mention, I love the company, there's just not anything open for me right now here and I do not want to have to work for this manager/supervisor anymore...

Our manager has run off a lot of people since he started. Nobody in our are was here when he took over - they all left. Another area he is over also has a completely different staff than when he started - because they all left as well...

vCash

Great scare tactics for the ones who stay.

If any of you sumbeaches leave and you act like Roseanne Roseanna Danna did...

vCash

Always give proper notice.

Rules of proper notice

Mmm... ...ribs.

vCash

I've shown the door to some employees who gave notice, and let others work it out. Depends on the situation, and the employee. And by "show the door," it typically hasn't been as negative/confrontational as that sounds. A lot of times people really don't want to work the two weeks, and are just giving notice so as not to burn bridges. A lot of times when I've asked if they'd be OK leaving immediately, they were actually relieved.

I also have learned to not be inclined to re-hire people who leave once. It almost never turns out well. There are a number of people who have worked for me who I continue to be friendly with, and happy to see when they drop in for a visit, but who I would never consider re-hiring. Generally when people quit the first time, there's a pretty good reason for it.

The people I'm most likely to re-hire are the ones who left for personal, non-professional reasons (relocation, family health issues, school, etc.). People who leave a job because of dissatisfaction and then when they get out in the real world and decide that their situation working for me wasn't that bad after all? They typically don't make good rehires.
    Well, crap.

vCash

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    Wishing I was moving to Monroe, Oklahoma...
    vCash

Is this a common policy? New? I haven't heard of that, in fact I was only aware that most companies (and mine) will only acknowledge employment and dates of employment.
    Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.

Soon to be Memphibian

vCash

Last job I was at I gave two weeks and they said to go ahead and walk. I told 'em that I wanted those two weeks paid and they agreed.

Mainly had to do with access to confidential information and such, though.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

Soon to be Memphibian

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TheHumanAlphabet View Post
    Is this a common policy? New? I haven't heard of that, in fact I was only aware that most companies (and mine) will only acknowledge employment and dates of employment.
    Most companies will give dates of employment, confirm last salary, and whether a former employee is eligible for rehire with no commentary on why.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 toast's Avatar
    vCash

If she worked where I do and took off that much after giving notice, they would have given her more than just a "non-eligible for rehire" - she would have been showed the door and told her services were no longer needed.

vCash

Most companies will give dates of employment, confirm last salary, and whether a former employee is eligible for rehire with no commentary on why.
    If their smart...that's exactly how they should handle it.

If your gonna state that you would or wouldn't rehire an employee when approached for a reference, I'd say you'd want a few witnesses and make sure you gave the leaving employee a written statement they can or can't use you as a refence.

Question....

Don't most employers in Oklahoma have 6 months to decide whether or not an employee should continue to stay employed?