Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Emma's Daddy! SoonerStormchaser's Avatar
    vCash

Great...now my plane is gonna be refueled by a ****ing FRENCH PLANE!!!

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/02/29/air...ers/index.html

Let's recap.
    France hates us...Germany hates us...France and Germany own the majority of Airbus. So how do we repay their backstabbing us over Iraq? BY BUYING THEIR PLANES FOR OUR MILITARY!

This decision is sickening! And I'm royally ****ed (in case you couldn't tell).

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jerk's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Great...now my plane is gonna be refueled by a ****ing FRENCH PLANE!!!

You do realize that both France and Germany have recently elected right-wing leaders who are more pro-American?
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Fred Bastiat

SoonerFans.com Elite Member AlbqSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Actually the DOD would be buying planes from Northup Grumman, a very American company. NG would be buying planes from EADS and fitting them to the appropriate specifications.
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with ketchup.

vCash

I don't care that we're buying from NG...the only way Airbus had a prayer of this contract was to get into bed with either NG or LM. NG being part of this deal doesn't take away from the fact that it's a POS airplane!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerStormchaser
    I don't care that we're buying from NG...the only way Airbus had a prayer of this contract was to get into bed with either NG or LM. NG being part of this deal doesn't take away from the fact that it's a POS airplane!
    I heard they use Elmer's Glue to glue the verticle stab on the tail.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Fred Bastiat

vCash

That would explain AA587.

vCash

I assume that's the one I'm talking about, too. The one that went down in NYC circa 2002. Did the NTSB ever figure out why the vertical stab broke off?

Can you imagine being the PIC of an airplane that has had a total catastrophic structural failure? It would be teh suck, because pilots are control freaks, and when you're 'in for the ride,' it's time to convert to the Baptist Church.

That's why I would not fly hot-air baloons. I'm not a Baptists.
    - Fred Bastiat

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

A misunderstanding of certification standards regarding maneuvering speed and the rapid stop-to-stop deflection of control surfaces would explain AA587.
    I'm not happy until you're not happy.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by mdklatt
    A misunderstanding of certification standards regarding maneuvering speed and the rapid stop-to-stop deflection of control surfaces would explain AA587.
    Speaking of verticle stabs, did 'they' ever figure out what was going on with the 737's? I recall one crash in Penn. and another in Colorado as a result of tail/rudder failure.
    - Fred Bastiat

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 reevie's Avatar
    vCash

NG being part of this deal doesn't take away from the fact that it's a POS airplane!

That's why the 767 is disappearing from the commercial world in favor of the A330...

The aircraft will be finished (militarized) in Mobile, AL. The economic impact to the Bay Area is going to absurd. That noise you hear in the Southeast is their property values doubling right now. This deal would have no real economic impact to Seattle, maybe a some to Wichita.

Boeing made a strategic mistake in choosing the 767 over the 777 and it the end, that may have cost them this contract. But keep in mind, the KC-X is step one. In about 10 to 15 years the Air Force will send out a Request for Proposal on the KC-Y and then the KC-Z a few years later. I would expect Boeing to get their act together and win at least one of those.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jerk
    Speaking of verticle stabs, did 'they' ever figure out what was going on with the 737's? I recall one crash in Penn. and another in Colorado as a result of tail/rudder failure.
    The two theories are an uncommanded full-scale rudder deflection, and turbulence (a rotor cloud in CO, and wake turbulence outside of PIT). I don't remember what the NTSB finally concluded, but you can look it up on their web site.

vCash

Yep, I think they figured that out. Had to do with screw threads or something like that coming out of alignment in certain conditions. They put in some plug to keep it from happening.

vCash

The two theories are an uncommanded full-scale rudder deflection, and turbulence (a rotor cloud in CO, and wake turbulence outside of PIT). I don't remember what the NTSB finally concluded, but you can look it up on their web site.
    I can only imagine that an 'uncommanded full-scale rudder deflection' would happen in a fly-by-wire system. But my mind is soaked with alcohol.

When flying RC airplanes, if the control surfaces 'flutter,' it is bad news, and usually results in the airplane ripping itself apart.
    - Fred Bastiat

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by reevie
    Yep, I think they figured that out. Had to do with screw threads or something like that coming out of alignment in certain conditions. They put in some plug to keep it from happening.
    These would be screws on the hinges of the rudder/vert. stab?
    - Fred Bastiat

vCash

I assume that's the one I'm talking about, too. The one that went down in NYC circa 2002. Did the NTSB ever figure out why the vertical stab broke off?
    Pilot action. I don't say error, because the pilots did what they were trained to do. Every pilot knows that if you're below maneuvering speed you can't break the plane no matter how hard you yank on the controls, right? It turns out there's some fine print in the certification standards. Rapid full-scale rudder deflection from one side to the other is one of those exceptions. The pilots of AA587 hit some wake turbulence as they were climbing out, and did what there were trained to do, which is to use whatever control deflection is necessary to maintain control. Airlines have modified their unusual attitude training due to this accident. You can't break the wings below Va because the plane will stall first, but that's not necessary true with the tail surfaces.

vCash

AA587 was a combination of the co-pilot (the PIC at the time) using some unusual rudder deflection maneuvers to get through the wake of a JAL 747-400 that had taken off right before it. Unfortunately for him and the rest of the passengers, the A300 tail wasn't built to withstand those stresses (later tests showed all Boeing widebodies would've withstood those same stresses)...thus the new definition to OH SNAP!

vCash

These would be screws on the hinges of the rudder/vert. stab?
    Screws that turn/move the actuator that controls the rudder/stab

vCash

I can only imagine that an 'uncommanded full-scale rudder deflection' would happen in a fly-by-wire system.
    Nope. It was documented on Boeings other than the two that crashed, but the pilots were able to regain control. I'm not sure if they could determine for sure that's what happened with the 737s. Boeing did come up with a fix for the rudder problem.

Soonerfans.com Elitist sooneron's Avatar
    vCash

I can only imagine that an 'uncommanded full-scale rudder deflection' would happen in a fly-by-wire system. But my mind is soaked with alcohol.

When flying RC airplanes, if the control surfaces 'flutter,' it is bad news, and usually results in the airplane ripping itself apart.
    YOu fly RC planes?
    Oh sweet jesus. Its like watching the special olympics in high definition on here now.
    Soonerinabilene

vCash

Pilot action. I don't say error, because the pilots did what they were trained to do. Every pilot knows that if you're below maneuvering speed you can't break the plane no matter how hard you yank on the controls, right? It turns out there's some fine print in the certification standards. Rapid full-scale rudder deflection from one side to the other is one of those exceptions. The pilots of AA587 hit some wake turbulence as they were climbing out, and did what there were trained to do, which is to use whatever control deflection is necessary to maintain control. Airlines have modified their unusual attitude training due to this accident. You can't break the wings below Va because the plane will stall first, but that's not necessary true with the tail surfaces.
    OK, gotcha. You'd think the tail surfaces would be alot more stout simply because they are much shorter than the wing.
    - Fred Bastiat