Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sooner Spectator Editor Jay C. Upchurch's Avatar
    vCash

OU Ends Streak, Takes ******

No, this isn't football, but it is noteworthy

No. 17 Oklahoma upsets in-state rival No. 3 Oklahoma State, 18-15

NORMAN - For the first time since 1995, the Oklahoma Sooners are ****** champs.

In front of the largest crowd to view a wrestling match in Norman this season (1,734), No. 17 Oklahoma upended the No. 3 Oklahoma State Cowboys at the Howard McCasland Field House by an 18-15 final. The upset snapped a streak of 19 straight victories by the Cowboys.

"This is not just another victory," head coach Jack Spates said. "It was against a great and historic program in Oklahoma State. I couldn't be prouder of the fight and the effort of our team."

The dual between the in-state rivals began at 184 pounds after Oklahoma State decided to draw instead of the traditional start at 125 pounds. The opening bout could not have started better for the Sooners, as No. 6 Joshua Weitzel put six on the board with a pin over Jack Jensen. The senior needed only the first period to record the fall at 2:18.

Two-time All-American Joel Flaggert, ranked ninth nationally, then posted a decision over Clayton Foster at 197 pounds. After dominating the first two periods and leading 7-2, the Choctaw, Okla., native scored two escapes in the third for a 9-6 final.

Oklahoma State bounced back after the two wins by Oklahoma seniors, as No. 8 Jared Rosholt won in an 8-3 decision over Nathan Fernandez at heavyweight. After a scoreless first, Rosholt recorded three takedowns in final two periods to take the victory and inching Oklahoma State back to within six, 9-3.

No. 17 Joey Fio continued his recent success with a 3-2 upset decision over No. 14 Tyler Shinn of OSU at 125 pounds. The true-freshman, who was named Big 12 Wrestler of the Week on Feb. 11, was tied with Shinn after two periods, 2-2. After choosing down, Fio managed an escape at 1:50 and held on for the 3-2 decision.

It was No. 1 Coleman Scott for the Cowboys who then took control of the 133 pound bout with a 7-2 decision over Oklahoma's Brian Shelton. Scott used two takedowns in the first to distance himself, narrowing the OU lead to 12-6.

Nathan Morgan, ranked third nationally, posted another Oklahoma State win at 141 pounds with a 5-4 decision over No. 16 Zack Bailey. After a tie to begin the third, Morgan recorded a takedown and an escape to post the victory.

No. 17 Will Rowe stopped OSU's momentum with a 7-2 decision over Ryan Freeman. The 149 pound match was close after two, with Rowe hanging on to a 3-2 advantage. The junior from Arlington, Texas, scored an escape, a takedown and a riding time point in the third to record the win, pushing the Sooner lead back to six, 15-9.

An important match at 157 pounds pitted Oklahoma's No. 17 Chad Terry against Neil Erisman. After a scoreless first, Terry scored an escape and a takedown in the second to go up 3-0. After Erisman chose the down position to begin the third, Terry rode him out without giving up an escape to win 4-0 with the help of a riding time point.

With the lead of 18-9, the Sooners simply needed to hang on to post the Big 12 upset over their arch-rival. No. 5 Jake Dieffenbach made the team score 18-12 after posting a victory at 165 pounds over senior Max Dean. The Cowboy recorded three takedowns and Dean was only able to manage escapes in the 7-3 loss. No bonus points were awarded with the decision, so Oklahoma State could only manage a tie in the match.

It would take a pin at 174 pounds for Oklahoma State to tie the Sooners at 18. An unfamiliar face was wrestling for OU because of year-long starter Jeff James out for the year due to injury. It was up to the junior Chris DeVilbiss with a 7-2 record on the year to be the hero for Oklahoma and fend off OSU.

DeVilbiss came through for the Sooners, keeping No. 8 Brandon Mason from recording the fall. Mason won 7-0, but the defeat was lost on the Oklahoma team, realizing the huge upset-win over the Oklahoma State Cowboys.

"This is a huge, huge win," Spates said. "All of the cheers, all of the hugs--I couldn't be prouder."

The Sooners will take their momentum into the postseason, as they will travel to Stillwater, Okla., on Saturday, March 8 for the Big 12 Championships.

FINAL SCORE:
    OKLAHOMA STATE: 15
    OKLAHOMA:18

125: No. 17 Joey Fio (OU) dec. No. 14 Tyler Shinn (OSU), 3-2
    133: No. 1 Coleman Scott (OSU) dec. Brian Shelton (OU), 7-2
    141: No. 3 Nathan Morgan (OSU) dec. No. 16 Zack Bailey (OU), 5-4
    149: No. 17 Will Rowe (OU) dec. Ryan Freeman (OSU), 7-2
    157: No. 17 Chad Terry (OU) dec. Neil Erisman (OSU), 4-0
    165: No. 5 Jake Dieffenbach (OSU) dec. Max Dean (OU), 7-3
    174: No. 8 Brandon Mason (OSU) dec. Chris DeVilbiss (OU), 7-0
    184: No. 6 Joshua Weitzel (OU) fall Jack Jensen (OSU), 2:18
    197: No. 9 Joel Flaggert (OU) dec. Clayton Foster (OSU), 9-6
    HWT: No. 8 Jared Rosholt (OSU) dec. Nathan Fernandez (OU), 8-3

OU SID Report

SoonerFans.com Elite Member tommieharris91's Avatar
    vCash

Re: OU Ends Streak, Takes ******

I shall now go to the osu message boards and enjoy the fireworks.
    "If your dream ain't bigger than you, there's a problem with your dream." -Deion Sanders

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

Thank you for spelling "dual" in dual meet correctly.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerus's Avatar
    vCash

Great week to be a Sooner !!!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Crimsontothecore's Avatar
    vCash

First win in bed-lam wrasslin in 13 years....so THIS is what it feels like to be an osu football fan.
    What knashing of teeth there must be in stoolwater knowing those "gooners" just beat 'em at the only sport they have to brag about.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SleestakSooner's Avatar
    In a cardboard box... down by the Dempsey Dumpster.
    vCash

Congrats Coach Spates. It's been a long time coming.

BOOMER!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Collier11's Avatar
    vCash

THis is Frickin Awesome!!!
    Ranger Reese of OVJ country, Patrollin tha hood.

I Survived Drunkytown with OleVet and all I got was this rash!

With a record of 109-23 (.826) and six Big 12 championships in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
    ~ Ivan Maisel

http://sportslife11.blogspot.com/

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 NYC Poke's Avatar
    vCash

Who cares about wrasslin'?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member tommieharris91's Avatar
    vCash

I still really don't.
    "If your dream ain't bigger than you, there's a problem with your dream." -Deion Sanders

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Collier11's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by NYC Poke
    Ranger Reese of OVJ country, Patrollin tha hood.

I Survived Drunkytown with OleVet and all I got was this rash!

With a record of 109-23 (.826) and six Big 12 championships in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
    ~ Ivan Maisel

http://sportslife11.blogspot.com/

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Ardmore_Sooner's Avatar
    vCash

I actually went, and was surprised by the fan support. Boomer Sooner!
    Nothing is true, everything is permitted...

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

I wuz lookin' up from my 2 hunnert and thirty secund review of our marviloso football 'crutin' class and saw somebody's done give us lots a stars.... you know ******, so I figured we must be livin' large in ye ol baskyball a-rena these days. Is those boys gonna do good by the foosball team this year an' whoop all them orangies, or what? Maybe it's them wrasslin' fellas....

(This message brought to you by Consolidated LoSuR Penis Envy, Inc.)

"How did you find me?"

"I'm the man."

Thrill as Bob Stoops turns the knobs and adjusts the dials of his latest killing machine...

-Dr. Saturday

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner_Bob's Avatar
    vCash

Cool

Soonerfans.com Elitist sooneron's Avatar
    vCash

Great news! Congrats to the team!
    Oh sweet jesus. Its like watching the special olympics in high definition on here now.
    Soonerinabilene

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 stonecoldsoonerfan's Avatar
    vCash

i do, among others. wrestling is a VERY hard sport. when i was in h.s., our football team took state twice and went to state the other year (kelly phelps was qb my jr. and sr. years). when the season was over, the f.b. players that went into wrestling were in worse overall shape than the wrestlers that had only been working out after school about 1 1/2 months. these are the football players that had been through 2 a days and been practicing all fall. they'd routinely get their butts kicked until they got into better shape.

i couldn't be more prOUd of OUr wrestlers. congrats to them.
    "Your argument based on the facts is not a valid one."-Hookem Horns, 3/7/03.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Do you have any old OU athletic events on video? i trade for them. Please email or PM me if you do.

OU game videos

I'm very happy for the OU wrestling team, and I must admit that I do feel a little giggly inside.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    Wishing I was moving to Monroe, Oklahoma...
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rich
    Thank you for spelling "dual" in dual meet correctly.
    How else would you spell it?

You don't mean people spell it duel - do you? If so they must be morans!
    Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    Wishing I was moving to Monroe, Oklahoma...
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by MamaMia
    I'm very happy for the OU wrestling team, and I must admit that I do feel a little giggly inside.
    A little? How about a lot.

As in the days of old and Dr. Death - Aggies Bite! (I almost got rushed by the aggie biter heavyweight when I screamed Aggies Bite real loud right after they introduced him - drunken stupors can be fun...I don't think I ever played in a wrestling pep band while sober...
    Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Crimsontothecore's Avatar
    vCash

I still don't. For you chokes it must feel like big brother just took that last cookie you were hiding.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 sooner n houston's Avatar
    vCash

I have always loved wrestling. I do admire the OSU tradition in the sport. As was mentioned above, you have never really been in shape unless you've been in wrestling shape. Congrats to the good guys!