Page 4 of 134 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Re: ***The Official MMA Thread***

Buentello Wants To Fight Kimbo At His 'Taco Shop'

"People want to see it. I think everybody wants to see it. Me and Kimbo should lace up the gloves," said Buentello. "Everybody wants to see it and I think it's time. He's fighting all the guys I've already knocked out and I've already exposed. He needs to get off that buffet line I put out there and come over to my Paul Buentello taco shop and see if we can get to work."

"Everybody asks me `when are you going to fight Kimbo? You should fight that Kimbo guy,'" said the American Kickboxing Academy fighter. "Just give him much respect, he's been training and accomplished a lot in a year or so. He's really putting his hands together, he's really putting his game plan together."

Buentello says he respects Kimbo's growing MMA game and guarantees a slugfest would ensue.

"I give him much respect. He stepped up. He went from street fighting to MMA and everybody thought he couldn't produce, but he's doing it," stated Buentello.

Fighting Tyson now would be pointless. Let him fight some real competition.

MMA News:

Machida vs Tito is now set for UFC 84.

Werdum vs Vera also set for UFC 85.

Dan Henderson Media Day Interview:

PRIDE middleweight champion Dan Henderson held an open workout on Wednesday at his Team Quest training center in Murrieta.

Henderson has spent six weeks, including the past three weeks in Big Bear, preparing for his showdown against UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva at UFC 82 on March 1 at Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio.

Henderson talked about his thoughts on Silva, moving down to 185 pounds and many other topics.

Here is what Hendo had to say:

On striking with Silva:

"I'm going in there hoping to knock him out. I'm not going to out-slick him on his feet, but I'm definitely going to land the harder shots."

On his wrestling skills vs. Silva's Jiu-Jitsu:

"I'm not nervous about his ground game at all. Wrestling-wise I feel I can put him on the ground whenever I want. Sometimes you can't finish them quite as easy on the ground, so I'm definitely going to stand on my feet with him and striking ... it will be a good mixture of mixed martial arts. It's not going to be just on the feet. It's not going to be just on the ground or in the clinch. It's going to go all over. I'm ready for a 25-minute fight against him. I'm hoping for a 25-second knockout."

On what he expects from the crowd in Columbus, Ohio:

"From what I hear they are pretty rowdy and they are gung-ho on MMA. It's a big wrestling community, so hopefully with my wrestling background it will be a pretty warm welcome. But again, being that they are so energetic over there, it's definitely something that I feed off of in fights. It just gets you a little bit more pumped up when you are out there."

On whether it will be a home-field advantage for him:

"Well, home-country advantage for sure. We'll see. He's fought in Ohio before when he beat up a hometown boy (Rich Franklin). I don't know how well liked he is there. I think most of the fans enjoy the sport and watching the top guys. They might be rooting for somebody but first thing they are rooting for a good fight. I think both of those will be accomplished. It will be a good fight and their home-country boy should win."

On whether he is better at 185 pounds than at 205 pounds:

"I'm the same fighter. My skills don't get better when I cut weight. I enjoyed fighting at 205, just as much as 185. I think for me it doesn't make too big a difference. I don't feel I'm weak at 205. In my mind, it doesn't matter to me. It's just the opponent that I'm fighting is a big challenge and that's what I go for."

On his training camp in Big Bear compared to his previous camp:

"Training camp went really well. I actually went away to Big Bear for three weeks. There were no distractions. That was the main reason of going up there was to get away from everyday duties. With three kids and being here training, there is a lot going on at home. It was good to get away. My wife's been great as far as letting me do that. She doesn't complain at all. It's tough for her to take care of three kids by herself. She understands and supports me."

On his training partners:

"I had quite a few of them (Team Quest teammates) up there. It has varied. Some of them have been going back and forth. But for the most part I've had (Rameau Thierry) Sokoudjou, Brian Harper came up, Krzysztof Soszynski is up there. I had Cyril Diabate, 'The Snake,' and two of his top guys this whole training camp. It will be six weeks total for them."

On this being his first training camp in Big Bear:

"I've never gone to Big Bear for my training camp. I've gone up there in the past, maybe, when Tito (Ortiz) was training up there or some other guys that I've trained with in the past to help them out, but never for my training camp. The biggest reason why I always stay home (at Team Quest in Murrieta) is because I do have more training partners here. Everybody can't always get up there. If I didn't bring in three French guys and some other guys that came in from out of town, maybe, I would have stayed down here. But it's been good having them. I would definitely consider going back up in the future."

On Silva being considered the top MMA fighter pound-for-pound in the world by a number of publications and Web sites:

"I think that's great. I've already said my piece about it. I think he is a tough guy and very skilled but I wouldn't consider him the top pound-for-pound fighter, just because I've seen more of his past than what the U.S. crowd has in the UFC. The guys he's fought in the UFC really compliment his style. I expected him to walk through most of those guys. He's very skilled on his feet. The guys he's fought aren't very good wrestlers."

On UFC president Dana White saying it was like pulling teeth to get Henderson to come down to 185 pounds:

"It wasn't pulling teeth. I already lost my teeth. He couldn't do much of that."

On how it's been cutting to 185

"I haven't started cutting weight, yet. I don't know where I'm at, probably 190-197. I'm probably 12 pounds over. Yesterday I weighed out at 8 pounds over after practice. I haven't started cutting."

On what it was like training with Bob Anderson's JETS wrestling team in San Clemente as a teenager:

"He was my coach in wrestling since the third grade up through two Olympic teams. He's been a big part of my wrestling career. He's a great coach.

"My dad was one of the coaches as well with Bob. Every weekend, well not every weekend, but a lot of weekends we'd come down (from Apple Valley) for Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

"Randy (Couture) was a little bit later, but he would come down for two or three weeks at a time from Oregon. When I was little and up through high school is when we would drive down to San Clemente. Once I got into college I was living in Fullerton for a couple of years. I traveled to Europe for half the year for two years straight and made the Olympic team because of that. That was through our club team with Bob."

On who is the top pound-for-pound fighter if it's not Silva:

"After this fight it will be me. But it's hard to say. I would argue against it being Fedor (Emelianenko) because he's a heavyweight. Heavyweights are tough to give that pound-for-pound ranking. He hasn't fought a top heavyweight for a while. So I don't know. It's those guys that have beaten guys a little bit heavier than them and beaten everybody at their weight as well. I would argue that Matt Lindland should be in there as well. He's gone up in weight and done well. There are a lot of guys. (Georges) St. Pierre is right up there and B.J. Penn."

On the new DREAM promotion in Japan which was put together by Fight Entertainment Group and former PRIDE staffers:

"I think there are two promotions starting. There's DREAM and World Victory Road. I think it's great for the sport. I think a lot of fans miss having PRIDE and that production, not necessarily the fighters and they fights they put on. There are top fighters in most of the organizations now, but the production is what I miss most. It will be good to watch that just as a fan now. I'm in the UFC for a while."

On the possibility of competing in DREAM's Middleweight Grand Prix:

"I won't be fighting in it unless the UFC sends me over. I think that's good for the sport. It gives fighters another avenue to go out there and make some money and make a name for themselves. It's tough with so many fighters and only one big organization in the world.

"I'm not overly fond of fighting in tournaments anymore. I've been there and done that. My first nine fights were tournaments and multiple fights in a night. A lot of the fights in my career have been tournaments. I'm not fond of those. I'd rather focus on one guy, especially at the point of my career where I am right now. It enables me to really focus on that one opponent. When you fight multiple times in one night, you are not able to be specific to an opponent when you are training. There is a greater chance of losing a fight that way. I've got a little bit more to lose than I did in the past. We'll see. It's not necessarily about that. It's about fighting twice in one night that I'm not fond of."

On life in the UFC:

"It's been great. I've got no complaints whatsoever. They've been great to me. I've always had a good relationship with Dana White as well in the past, so this is the firstt time having to do business and deal with him and I've got no complaints and nothing bad to say."

On Randy Couture being sued by the UFC to keep him from cornering his fighters at the IFL event on Feb. 29 and whether the UFC has told him that he's not allowed to corner fighters in different promotions:

"No. But I don't know the language of Randy's contract either. That's his employment contract, that's not his fight contract. I don't know what that states. It's ridiculous that they are trying to stop him from cornering. I think it's a little bit more than just that. That his name, Xtreme Couture, is on their team names and fighting in another promotion. I think that's what they are concerned with more than him being there to coach. But we'll see. I don't know. I haven't followed that too much.

"It (cornering fighters in other promotions) has never been an issue. I've never been told not to (by the UFC), and I've never had a problem with that."

On the PRIDE vs. UFC argument:

"The consensus now is that the PRIDE guys aren't doing so well in the UFC, but in my opinion my last fight with Quinton Jackson was two PRIDE guys fighting for the title. Anderson came from PRIDE. Obvioulsy, he's improved a little bit since then. (Antonio Rodrigo) Nogueira has the interim title now. I think there is a little pride with that, but for me it's about myself and my team. That's it. I'm not going to win for a company that went belly up. I'm just going to do the best that I can out there for me and my team and my fans."

On the fight he would put together as a fan if he could pick any two fighters in the world:

"This one right here. I don't know. I mean, right now, this is the only one on the horizon that has that. I would like to see ... I would have liked to see Wanderlei (Silva) against Quinton Jackson in the UFC. Quinton lost in PRIDE, but it would be different here. But that probably won;t happen now that he (Wanderlei) lost to Chuck."

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner_Bob's Avatar
    vCash

I have a feeling Hendo will surprise some folks in this fight . . .

Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic Vows Return to the UFC

Although the recent news that Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic had been released from his UFC contract at first appeared to be a case of the UFC cutting its losses, the Croatian heavyweight vows that he’ll return to the organization.

Last week the upstart DREAM promotion, which was created by former PRIDE staffers and the MMA division of FEG’s K-1, announced that Filipovic had been released from the remaining three fights of his UFC contract and had signed with them. The UFC reportedly wanted Filipovic to restructure his lucrative deal (he was paid $350,000 for his debut at UFC 67) but ultimately allowed him to walk. Both sides maintain that the split was amicable.

After a successful career in PRIDE, Filipovic signed with the UFC and defeated Eddie Sanchez but then suffered upsets to Gabriel Gonzaga and Cheick Kongo. He stated that his decision to leave before a fourth fight took place in the UFC was partially because he was ready to fight now — but the UFC couldn’t schedule him for a bout anytime before May.

“I have already mentioned that I will take part in three fights for DREAM and that then I will return to the UFC,” Filipovic told the website javno.com. “And to all Internet know-it-alls, I say to put gloves on and to enter the ring or the cage themselves before insulting (any) fighter. I repeat, I am not avoiding the UFC, and will come back by the end of the year.“

Although Filipovic expects to go 3-0 before returning to the UFC, at least one opponent could present a problem: Fedor Emelianenko. Filipovic says he wants to fight the highly ranked Russian before returning to the UFC.

The two fighters met once before — at PRIDE Final Conflict 2005 — and Emelianenlo scored a unanimous-decision victory to snap Filipovic’s seven-fight win streak.

Although there’s been no official announcement about the fight, Emelianenko is signed to a non-exclusive deal with M-1 Global, and the organization at least initially seems open to the idea of allowing him to compete in DREAM — possibly in a co-promoted show.

Regardless, Filipovic says he just wants to get back on the winning track and redeem himself in the UFC.

“For the last two years I’ve been in some kind of mental blockade,” Filipovic said. “I was empty before fights, depressed, I hated myself.

“I’m sorry to have disappointed my English fans who welcomed me like a king. That’s why I want to come out in front of them again. I can’t turn back time, but my time will come again.

I'm thinking this is a real bad idea. He wants to go fight in Dream to get back on track and get his mental game back, but at the same time fight Fedor? If he were to fight Fedor and get crushed he would never get his mental game back let alone ever return to the UFC.

I say fight your three fights in Dream, come back to the UFC and actually beat some quality fighters and then go take on Fedor.

Thanks,

Internet know-it-all

vCash

Heh . . . Before they go to sleep, Internet Know-It-Alls look under their bed for CroCop.

I hope he does well with Dream . . . I'd like to see him fight Fedor again, but definitely think he needs to get some confidence back before he does that.

Big Pimpin' stoops the eternal pimp's Avatar
    vCash

I dvr'd HDNET fights with Bob Sapp vs the Giant...looking forward to watching it:

And I didnt know it would go over 3 hours and the DVR cut off right after the Maurice Smith fight...
    Bazinga

Rampage visits the Marines. Gotta love Rampage.

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance...nes-at-c_sport

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stoops the eternal pimp
    I dvr'd HDNET fights with Bob Sapp vs the Giant...looking forward to watching it:

And I didnt know it would go over 3 hours and the DVR cut off right after the Maurice Smith fight...

I guess I'm gonna hafta go find that some where . . .

vCash

Its funny because this the only thing the wife will watch with me is MMA..SHe was more mad than I was that we missed the main event..I DVRd the fast and furious finishes and we watched it last night..
    Bazinga

vCash

I've got it on my computer at the house and may try to watch it tonight.

I can not wait to watch dan henderson face off against the spider.

vCash

I watched the Strikeforce event last night. I'll give it a solid meh . . . it was good to see Bob Sapp get KO'd though.

Don't forget about the IFL event on HDNet tonight or tomorrow.

Chuck Liddell Wants To Fight Fedor Emelianenko

Yet another challenge made to Fedor.....

Chuck Liddell recently conducted an interview with SunSport and during the interview he discussed fighting Fedor, moving up to Heavyweight, and other things:

On fighting Fedor:

"I'd like to fight Fedor because I think he's overrated. He matches up stylistically with me. Fedor's a good ground-and-pound guy, he doesn't have one-punch power from his feet, so it'd be fun to fight him."

"Fedor's someone I want to fight because he's someone I match up well with. He's a ground and pound guy that doesn't have a great shot. He doesn't have a great game plan. I think I could take him. I think I match up well with him. As far as I know he's never knocked anyone out from his feet and I think he'd have a hard time taking me down."

On moving to Heavyweight:

"A move to heavyweight is a possibility for me. If I'm done with everything at light heavyweight I might move up. The top guys up there aren't all that big heavyweights. Randy was but I knocked him out twice."

NyQuil is a helluva drug!!

vCash

oh chuck
    Bazinga

vCash

I heard that about Chuck . . . needless to say I'm a little surprised by it.

Anyone watch Buzz KO Ken Shamrock the other night?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KC//CRIMSON View Post

Hendo didn't look at all like himself in that fight. Its amazing how Anderson can take guys out of their comfort zone.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner_Bob View Post
    I heard that about Chuck . . . needless to say I'm a little surprised by it.

Anyone watch Buzz KO Ken Shamrock the other night?
    Yeah....And that pretty much kills the Kimbo-Shamrock fight
    Bazinga

SoonerFans.com Elite Member tbl's Avatar
    vCash

Poor Ken... I wish he had hung up the gloves after the first Tito loss.

vCash

The Xtreme Fighting League out of Tulsa is coming on NOW on HDNet.