Page 2 of 134 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Re: ***The Official MMA Thread***

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner_Bob
    I wanna see Fedor vs. Arona II . . .
    Arona doesn't want any of that. He got pwnd by Soko and was never heard from again. Hope he shows up somewhere in a LHW division.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner_Bob's Avatar
    vCash

Don't you think that fight was over to fast to really call it a pwning . . . speaking of Soko, any idea who he might fight next?

Don't you think that fight was over to fast to really call it a pwning . . . speaking of Soko, any idea who he might fight next?
    Instead of pwnd how about "You just got knocked the **** out!"

I read somewhere his next opponent would likely be either Jardine or Wandy.

UFC has also confirmed Liddell vs Shogun in UFC 85 in June.

Good gawd, Rua better bring something more to this fight than he did with Forrest. That was pathetic, I still can't believe that happened.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerBBall's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KC//CRIMSON

I read somewhere his next opponent would likely be either Jardine or Wandy.

UFC has also confirmed Liddell vs Shogun in UFC 85 in June.

Good gawd, Rua better bring something more to this fight than he did with Forrest. That was pathetic, I still can't believe that happened.
    I love Forrest. He is the prototypical "more heart than talent" guy and his win over Shogun was so dominant that it had me on my feet. Flipping off the Chute Box team between elbows to the face just makes him that much more endearing.

That being said, I hope we get to see the Shogun I've seen videos online step up and start kicking ***. The LHW division is solid, but it seems like a whole lot of guys that beat up on each other without having some very clear top contenders.
    Why doesn't he ever drop to the turf and sizzle like bacon when he scores? Is that too much to ask? -CobraKai on Adrian Peterson

PRIDE's 2006 Open-Weight Grand Prix champion Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic has officially parted ways with the UFC and signed with DREAM - a new collaborative effort between FEG (K-1, HERO'S) and former DSE staff (PRIDE).

The new event is a drastic change following new creative leadership over HERO's. FEG is hoping to bring new life to their MMA show and the addition of former DSE staff is what they are looking for.

At an official press conference on Wednesday the promotion announced that "Cro Cop" had joined their ranks and would be fighting on their upcoming March 15 card. No opponent was named.

Specific details surrounding his departure from the UFC are currently unknown.

Filipovic (22-6-2) signed with the UFC following his first major championship - winning PRIDE's 2006 Open-Weight Grand Prix. He made his UFC debut against Eddie Sanchez in February of 2007. Following his TKO win he lost his next two fights - succumbing to a head kick KO from Gabriel Gonzaga and dropping a decision to Cheick Kongo.

Prior to his 1-2 run in the UFC, "Cro Cop" was considered the number two heavyweight in the world. The Croatian striker holds wins over former UFC heavyweight champion and PRIDE's 2006 Open-Weight Grand Prix finalist Josh Barnett, Olympic Judo gold medalist Hidehiko Yoshida, Aleskander Emelianenko, former PRIDE middleweight champion Wanderlei Silva, Igor Vovchanchyn, Kevin Randleman, Mark Coleman, Heath Herring, Kazuyuki Fujita, Japanese superstar and MMA legend Kazushi Sakuraba, and Ikuhisa Minowa.

vCash

Sad to see Mirko leave the UFC . . . I bet he hated fighting in the cage.

Sad to see Mirko leave the UFC . . . I bet he hated fighting in the cage.
    Totally hated it. He needs to get his mental game back.

Fedor Emelianenko will have his own reality TV show.

While UFC heavyweight champion Randy Couture (16-8-0) remains tied up in legal squabbles with the owners of the octagon, top-ranked Russian heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko (27-1-0) has decided to do his own reality TV show.

Coming off a win over 7-foot-tall 352-pound Korean giant Hong Man Choi (1-1-0), Emelianenko will star in "Fighting Fedor". Produced by M-1 Global, the show features 16 heavyweight prospects in a tournament-style competition. The winner gets a fight against Emelianenko.

"M-1 Global is embarking on a journey across four continents to find MMA's best young heavyweight contenders," the video narrator says. "16 fighters will travel to St. Petersburg, Russia's Red Devils Sports Club, where they will open their doors to American television cameras for the first time. From there, the fighters will spend the next several weeks living together, training together and fighting each other in a full-contact mixed-martial-arts tournament, the likes of which have never been seen on American television."

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNt5kZV2PS4

I don't know what to think about this. Looks kinda cheesy. I'm not a big fan of TUF either, so that goes out the window. I guess it makes sense if you're starting a new organization and want to get people interested and help bring in new fighters.

I don't think fighters like Barnett, Hunt, and a slew of others have found a home yet. So who knows?

vCash

I heard about that . . . I was a little surprised that they included the Fedor angle, but I'd be shocked if Dana White would let them do something similar to TUF, so maybe this is all they could do.

I imagine all this will do is continue to feed the argument about Fedor not fighting any "top 10 HWs".

I can only imagine what the mood on sherdog is like with this news.

I heard about that . . . I was a little surprised that they included the Fedor angle, but I'd be shocked if Dana White would let them do something similar to TUF, so maybe this is all they could do.

I imagine all this will do is continue to feed the argument about Fedor not fighting any "top 10 HWs".

I can only imagine what the mood on sherdog is like with this news.
    It's all in Dana White/Zuffa's court. If they weren't so greedy, these fights would be taking place already. They want full control over their fighters and it's just not going to happen with the best fighter in the world right now.

People need to realize the best fighters in the world are not all in one organization. MMA isn't like the NFL or the NBA. It's an individual sport and there are great fighters all over the world.

If they had any balls they would let their fighters/Randy fight wherever and whoever, just like everyone else.

I say they should just have one big giant OWGP overseas and let the fighters fall where they may. And then do it again the next year.

vCash

It's all in Dana White/Zuffa's court. If they weren't so greedy, these fights would be taking place already. They want full control over their fighters and it's just not going to happen with the best fighter in the world right now.

People need to realize the best fighters in the world are not all in one organization. MMA isn't like the NFL or the NBA. It's an individual sport and there are great fighters all over the world.

If they had any balls they would let their fighters/Randy fight wherever and whoever, just like everyone else.

I say they should just have one big giant OWGP overseas and let the fighters fall where they may. And then do it again the next year.

Yep.

I know why they don't do fight to fight contracts (not as much security), but there has to be a way to give the fighters a chance to float from one "promotion" to the next without totally messing up their potential with any promotion.

vCash

Don't forget about the Live WEC event tonight on Versus . . . and Versus HD.

Starts at 8:00 pm CST.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

where do you guys watch all this stuff all I ever see on TV is UFC. I like the UFC but I'd like to watch some of these other guys.

vCash

You're out of luck if you don't get the Versus channel . . .

We get Versus with basic cable. UFC on Spike. Pride on Fox Sports Midwest.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member critical_phil's Avatar
    vCash

Don't forget about the Live WEC event tonight on Versus . . . and Versus HD.

Starts at 8:00 pm CST.

DOH!

are they replaying it on the overnight?

vCash

Yep . . . @ 11:30

Big Pimpin' stoops the eternal pimp's Avatar
    vCash

anybody watching the elitexc on showtime tonight? I m in
    Bazinga

SoonerFans.com Elite Member critical_phil's Avatar
    vCash

Yep . . . @ 11:30

yeah, i DVR'd it and watched it this a.m.

those 35 pounders were getting after it. and it was good to see razor rob get beat. i don't like that dude.

vCash

I started the WEC event that night, but had to finish it this morning as well. Rob got spanked.

And yes I'll be watching Tank and Kimbo tonight.