Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member OU4LIFE's Avatar
    vCash

It's time for some perpective

No one likes losing, but too many of you people are attaching too much of your self worth to winning football games. Yeah, winning all those games would be great, yet boring. If you knew in advance you'd win, you'd complain about not winning good enough, and you'd be bored with it.

As a fan base we have been spoiled. Spoiled by winning the vast majority of football games we've participated in. When you win as much as this program has, it's easy to lose sight of the fact that there still about 100 other programs that would trade places with us in a heartbeat. Why do you think Boone State is spending so much money to try and bring their FB team up to snuff?

Unfortunately winning them all just isn't a reality. Perfection isn't really an option. No program, team or person is perfect and never will be. So we strive to do the best that we can, and to that end I'm happy with an 11-3 season. I have no doubt that everyone on that field last night did the best they could. Mistakes were made, great effort was given, what more do you want from a team?

If you are standing on a ledge today, step back for a minute and be thankful, get some perspective and realize that when you play in big games against big teams, you are going to lose a few. It's just part of being there.
    I taste terrific.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member crawfish's Avatar
    vCash

Re: It's time for some perpective

Loser.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner_Bob's Avatar
    vCash

Perpective?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Gandalf_The_Grey's Avatar
    vCash

Holy Crap, the sun is rising, i was certain God was going to come like a thief in the night!!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

The only "perpective" I have is seeing Noel Divine destroy our defense and getting embarresed for the 3rd straight time in a BCS bowl.

I, for one, will think twice before pulling the trigger on following OU to a bowl game until this staff can prove once more that they can indeed prepare for a bowl game.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OklahomaTuba
    The only "perpective" I have is seeing Noel Divine destroy our defense and getting embarresed for the 3rd straight time in a BCS bowl.

I, for one, will think twice before pulling the trigger on following OU to a bowl game until this staff can prove once more that they can indeed prepare for a bowl game.
    I came with in a hair of going to this game .
    I wish I had
    Hell for that Matter I wish I had gone to OB in 04
    I had that chance
    Would have Cost me a few bucks , a Little Pride But I could have Said
    Dayum I was there !
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner_Bob's Avatar
    vCash

Last night was a prime example of why I hate the time off between the end of the season and the bowl games. It is very apparent that some teams can handle it way better than others.

Plus, with a playoff I honestly believe that teams would see that there's just a little bit more to play for than some bowl trophy. You win or you go home.

I think a lot of teams really become complacent after they win their CCG or finish their season and then have a month off before they play again.

I think we would've seen a different OU team had this game been played the week after the CCG.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OklahomaTuba

see, that's what I mean. We lost...so? It WAS a BCS bowl. 3 out of the last 5 were BCS bowls. Would you rather be in the Holiday bowl against a 23rd ranked school just to get a win?

I'll keep taking the BCS beatings, we can't lose all of them, and even if we lose 1 out of every 6, that one will likely be for the title and I'm ok with that.
    I taste terrific.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OU4LIFE
    see, that's what I mean. We lost...so? It WAS a BCS bowl. 3 out of the last 5 were BCS bowls. Would you rather be in the Holiday bowl against a 23rd ranked school just to get a win?

I'll keep taking the BCS beatings, we can't lose all of them, and even if we lose 1 out of every 6, that one will likely be for the title and I'm ok with that.
    Would you please quit tryin to make since . Its confusing the rest of the Board
    Plzkthx
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

SoonerFans.com Elite Member TUSooner's Avatar
    Inside your monitor. Hit it with a hammer to release me and get 3 wishes.
    vCash

Good point in the great scheme of things, but this not a philosophy board, it's a football board.

The Sooners and the University WANT us to invest our hearts and emotions (not to mention time and money) in them, so we do. It's not wrong for us to resent disappointment when we wear our crimson hearts on our crimson sleeves. Yes, defeat comes with the territory for any team, but we don't have to accept it glady, especially when it comes like it has for us in recent years.
    You tell me it's the institution. Well, you know, you'd better free your mind instead.
    (Shoo-bee doo-wah)

Allegedly Pokish
    vCash

Here's some perspective.

WVU's 525 yards of total offense were the most allowed by a Sooner defense since 1999.

WVU'S 48 points were the most given up since the GOWWDNS.

Against the Sooners, West Virginia produced its two longest runs and its longest pass in the school's bowl history.

Edited to add: my point being, I don't expect us to win every BCS bowl game. I do expect us to show up.

vCash

On a positive note at least we have provided levels of emotional joy to the last four BCS teams we have played. Views like the "win of my life" , "we came together as a team" " and the proposal of marrige after a win have all been provided by us losing.

We have provided other teams the opportunity of a life time by the victory of playing a team like OU...............we spread the love throughout the entire NCAA.......we should be proud.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 cccasooner2's Avatar
    vCash

Stoops Re: It's time for some perpective

Quote Originally Posted by OU4LIFE
    ....and even if we lose 1 out of every 6, that one will likely be for the title and I'm ok with that.
    So much time, so little to do. - WW

SoonerFans.com Elite Member IB4OU2's Avatar
    vCash

Wow Hairy! Playing Texas Holdem has tought you a great lesson in humility and life. Well said...

Big Pimpin' stoops the eternal pimp's Avatar
    vCash

I agree with 4life. I used to lose my mind over losses but realized the only thing it does is make me bad to be around. Why lose it over something you have no control over? If the OU players and coaches don't perform well, it really doesn't have anything to do with me. When they win, it really doesn't have anything to do with me. I m just ready for the red-white game.
    Bazinga

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TUSooner
    Good point in the great scheme of things, but this not a philosophy board, it's a football board.

The Sooners and the University WANT us to invest our hearts and emotions (not to mention time and money) in them, so we do. It's not wrong for us to resent disappointment when we wear our crimson hearts on our crimson sleeves. Yes, defeat comes with the territory for any team, but we don't have to accept it glady, especially when it comes like it has for us in recent years.
    In a broad sense I agree, but just exactly what do you expect for your investment? 11-3 and a BCS game? 13-0 and a title? A big XII title? I mean, what you are getting for your investment seems, at least to me, to be a pretty damn good return.
    I taste terrific.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member JohnnyMack's Avatar
    vCash

I know I'm not getting **** for my golf forum dues you told me I had to pay. I call shenanigans.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Leroy Lizard's Avatar
    vCash

Last night was a prime example of why I hate the time off between the end of the season and the bowl games. It is very apparent that some teams can handle it way better than others.

Plus, with a playoff I honestly believe that teams would see that there's just a little bit more to play for than some bowl trophy. You win or you go home.

I think a lot of teams really become complacent after they win their CCG or finish their season and then have a month off before they play again.
    I have seen rotten reasons for wanting a playoff, but this one gets the prize. We need a national playoff because OU can't play well after being off a month?

This team was not going to win a playoff.
    At least I'm not Jersey Sooner.

Emma's Daddy! SoonerStormchaser's Avatar
    vCash

Right on OU4LIFE...and that's why I didn't even watch the game folks (that and a flight back to San Antonio during that time).

My blood pressure is thanking me today.

At this point, other than to update the bowl predictions thread, I'm out of this forum for the next few days/weeks/however long it takes for the modadors to clean up/bane all the half-cocked commentators that come out of the woodwork at times like this.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

there is more to life than OU football. The hardest part is living around those that beat us. Thank God that doesn't happen any more.

Hairy, my only beef is we look like a high school team these days in bowl games. It truly looks as if we've never played or coached the game before.