Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 KingDavid's Avatar
    vCash

The Five Ways We Beat Ourselves

1. Stoops calls destroy momentum. When we pulled it to 20-15, we were in control of the game. There was very little up-side to going for two points. And much less to going for the onside kick. That sequence was the back-breaker IMHO. Going for it on 4th down in the first half, in our own territory was questionable, at best.

2. Key missing players: Malcolm Kelly, Auston English (played very little due to flu, leg, etc.), Demarcus Granger, Lendy Holmes, Reggie Smith. This is a huge factor. The late losses of Kelly, and especially Granger's stupidity, had to contribute to the lack of fire we showed in the first half.

3. Penalties. Penalties. Penalties. We shot ourselves in the foot over and over and over.

4. Beaten on the edges. Very surprising to see Loadholt getting routinely abused like that. It looked like something was wrong with him. He was bending at waste and reaching all night.

5. Lack of killer instinct. Despite our pyss poor play in the first half, we STILL had the ball three times near or in the red zone, only to emerge with a paltry two field goals.

My last bytch-and-moan comment: I absolutely HATE giving this type of ammunition to the press: four BCS losses in a row. Pardon me while I gnaw my own arm to a nub at the elbow.

Moving on to greener (Crystal) pastures:

It will take some mental poise and commitment to bury this one and play through the skepticism when we play for the National Championship next year in Miami. BUT I BELIEVE WE CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND WE WILL DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BOOMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Crucifax Autumn's Avatar
    vCash

Re: The Five Ways We Beat Ourselves

Hell yeah!

Boomer Sooner!

When the Shooting Starts, We Kill What Moves
    Roland Deschain of Gilead
    ________

- Olevet Posse Gunslinger -

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Leroy Lizard's Avatar
    vCash

Pretty much spot on.

I cannot understand the two-point conversion. That is almost never a good idea unless it looks like that will be the last TD of the game. And the play call was the only one all night that I seriously questioned on offense. That was just ugly.

The onside kick was just abominable. If the other team is outplaying you, then I can understand it. But OU had the momentum and it looked like they were coming back in a big way. Even if it had worked, I still would have questioned it. This was a Les Miles moment from our coach.
    At least I'm not Jersey Sooner.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 KingDavid's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Lizard
    This was a LUCKLesS Miles moment from our coach.
    The difference is that, because of Lester's Faustian deal with the Devil, he would have:

a) converted the silly fourth down call and gone on to score.
    b) converted the two point conversion by recovering a fumble in the end-zone; and
    c) recovered the onside kick.

ok we really need to look on the bright side. If Malcolm Kelly decides to comeback do you know how loaded we'll be at receiver. Quentin Chaney looked like a freakin all-american. He's the only one who showed the balls to go down field and try to keep us in the game.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Crucifax Autumn's Avatar
    vCash

I love the idea of looking at the bright side. Our future looks pretty damned good if you ask me.

When the Shooting Starts, We Kill What Moves
    Roland Deschain of Gilead
    ________

- Olevet Posse Gunslinger -

my #1 is: we couldn't stop the run

vCash

The difference is that, because of Lester's Faustian deal with the Devil, he would have:

a) converted the silly fourth down call and gone on to score.
    Wrong. The play would have been stuffed, but the defense would have been called off-sides.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member AlbqSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by mburton71
    1. Stoops calls destroy momentum. When we pulled it to 20-15, we were in control of the game. There was very little up-side to going for two points. And much less to going for the onside kick. That sequence was the back-breaker IMHO.
    Going for two points was the correct call. If we take the one point, that leaves us down by 4 and we need a TD. If, as happened, we fail on the two point try we still need a TD. If we make the two points we are down by 3 and need only a field goal to tie. The onside kick was a hero or goat play. If we pull off the onside at that point, with momentum already shifted, we really demoralize them.

I do agree that sequence turned out to be the back-breaker.
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with ketchup.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

1. Going for the second two points, I think was just chasing the points we had previously lost. (IE, not a good call.)
    2. The onside kick call was fine. Not kicking it the required number of yards was not fine.
    3. I think you're missing the #1 killer -- blown defensive plays. The fullback broke free and ran it in for 57 yards. A 43 yard run, followed by a 30 yard run for a TD. Player goes for the ball and whiffs instead of going for the tackle, 79 yard TD pass. Safety bites on play action, leaving WVU player wide open to walk it into the end zone after the catch. Three or four defensive guys in the area, no blockers left, but our guys fail to contain, 65 yard run for TD. That's what, 5 touchdowns that shouldn't have happened.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerKnight's Avatar
    vCash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuePqhjmpNA

Sometimes it works out! Just saying!

Quote Originally Posted by mburton71
    1. Stoops calls destroy momentum. When we pulled it to 20-15, we were in control of the game. There was very little up-side to going for two points. And much less to going for the onside kick. That sequence was the back-breaker IMHO. Going for it on 4th down in the first half, in our own territory was questionable, at best.

2. Key missing players: Malcolm Kelly, Auston English (played very little due to flu, leg, etc.), Demarcus Granger, Lendy Holmes, Reggie Smith. This is a huge factor. The late losses of Kelly, and especially Granger's stupidity, had to contribute to the lack of fire we showed in the first half.

3. Penalties. Penalties. Penalties. We shot ourselves in the foot over and over and over.

4. Beaten on the edges. Very surprising to see Loadholt getting routinely abused like that. It looked like something was wrong with him. He was bending at waste and reaching all night.

5. Lack of killer instinct. Despite our pyss poor play in the first half, we STILL had the ball three times near or in the red zone, only to emerge with a paltry two field goals.

My last bytch-and-moan comment: I absolutely HATE giving this type of ammunition to the press: four BCS losses in a row. Pardon me while I gnaw my own arm to a nub at the elbow.

Moving on to greener (Crystal) pastures:

It will take some mental poise and commitment to bury this one and play through the skepticism when we play for the National Championship next year in Miami. BUT I BELIEVE WE CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND WE WILL DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BOOMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Even with all the goofy plays that went wrong, the defense just didn't come to play.

Nearly 400 rushing yards hung on this D! That is unforgivable, even with 3 starters gone. With the talent we have back there, we should NEVER give up that much rushing yardage.

vCash

In the long run, I don't think the failed 2 pt conversion meant much, but in a game where you've just seized the momemtum, I think missing it really took something away from the touchdown drive..

Another key missing guy was Murray. I sure would have liked to see him play yesterday.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

I'll give you five:
    1- No touchdown taht end!
    2- Too much running up teh middal!
    3- Didn't fire chuck "third and" long.
    4- Nate Hybl!!!
    5- No more years of Jason White eligibility.

There you have it. These reasons are always the reasons why we lose and last night's game is no different

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Widescreen's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger
    I'll give you five:
    1- No touchdown taht end!
    2- Too much running up teh middal!
    3- Didn't fire chuck "third and" long.
    4- Nate Hybl!!!
    5- No more years of Jason White eligibility.

There you have it. These reasons are always the reasons why we lose and last night's game is no different
    Don't forget about Eric Bassey. The dude can't cover. At all.

vCash

The missing players wasn't a factor. All the replacements stepped up and played great. IT WAS THE PLAY CALLING. Why wait and throw the ball on 3rd down? Throw it on 1st or 2nd down. Don't be so obvious.

Very poor coaching. Really is a shame too. The guys worked so hard all year round to be embarrassed on national TV because they were told to run the ball, when time was running out.

And why can't we run a 2-point conversion? I know some simple plays that work great. Mizzou ran one on us in the Big 12. Steal their play. Its a good one!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jacie's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by dominationStation
    ok we really need to look on the bright side. If Malcolm Kelly decides to comeback do you know how loaded we'll be at receiver.
    MK not playing was his way of saying goodbye to Oklahoma, hello to the NFL.

vCash

Also, why did Bob select to receive the ball at the opening kick rather than play defense?

And then OU gets the ball, runs three running plays up the middle, and punts. Set the tone for the whole night.

vCash

And then OU gets the ball, runs three running plays up the middle, and punts.
    Not true. OU got a first down on the first series with the three straight running plays.

vCash

OK, so OU got a first down. Then went out and threw a 6 yd completion and had two sacks. But again, why choose to receive? Set the tone for the whole night.