SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

More than 3 million of you won't get your tax rebate check in February

because this numb-nutz Congress decided to jack around with the "alternative minimum tax" right before they spilt for the holidays.

Personally, I'm on record as taking the position if you are getting any rebate at all, you need to adjust your withholding so you don't. I do recognize, however, many of my hillbilly brothern and sistern treat their tax return like some kind of savings account (which doesn't pay them interest.)

Anyway, if you don't get that check in time for Valentine's Day, thank those doofusses on the Hill.

That is all.
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Petro-Sooner's Avatar
    vCash

Re: More than 3 million of you won't get your tax rebate check in February

I'll be interested to see if and how much I have to pay this year. Started my new job this past year.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Widescreen's Avatar
    vCash

So if they don't do anything, there won't be a delay. Right?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Widescreen
    So if they don't do anything, there won't be a delay. Right?
    No, that's the thing. They changed the tax code, so the IRS will need extra time to figure out all the implications and permutations, which will no doubt have a ripple effect on all the "tax preparer" shysters who fill out poor folks' 1040EZ for them. Thus, delayed rebates.
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

SoonerFans.com Elite Member sooner_born_1960's Avatar
    vCash

Why are they "tax preparer" shysters? They are only charging what people are voluntarily willing to pay.

vCash

i don't usually get my crap from my employer until the end of January anyway

SoonerFans.com Elite Member TopDaugIn2000's Avatar
    vCash

Hopefully I"ll get a good return this year since I have a real deduction for a change (mortgage interest). THEN I can adjust my withholdings accordingly for the next year.

They rape us single folks. DANG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Missouri's Coach Stein
    "When I heard Shaq had been traded, I was hoping it had been for the Paris twins because they are ridiculous," Stein joked. "They're probably the two toughest post players to guard in the country."
    CLICK HERE ----->http://www.myartvideo.com

OR HERE------>http://www.myartvideo.com/forums

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 LilSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Unfortunately I am expecting a 5 figure refund check. I have got to figure how many I need to claim so that I don't do this any more. My mom claims 15 or some such nonsense and still got back 8.
    "Yea, and the shins of the wicked were smote."-Lil 22:18

and behold I looked in the sky, and saw a rider on a pale horse, the rider's name was death, and Lil Sooner followed after,....Revalations

vCash

If I am not mistaken, the AMT has more to do with the amount of tax owed before you subtract the amount of money paid in than with the amount of the refund.

It was created so that the rich (now the middle middle class) could not use all of the deductions and exemptions and end up owing very little tax, thereby getting almost the entire withholding amount back as a refund. Since the 1040EZ is for those who do not itemmized deductions, they should be able to file away.

I always try to plan to have my return end up being near zero. Why should the government hold my money for me.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member SanJoaquinSooner's Avatar
    vCash

I'm glad they are fixing the ATM, albeit temporarily. I hate it when I get hammered by the ATM... not being able to take full tax advantage of all my dependents who live in Mexico.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jerk's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by LilSooner
    Unfortunately I am expecting a 5 figure refund check. I have got to figure how many I need to claim so that I don't do this any more. My mom claims 15 or some such nonsense and still got back 8.
    Do you have a litter

Oh wait, I see what you're saying now. Nevermind. sorry.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by sooner_born_1960
    Why are they "tax preparer" shysters? They are only charging what people are voluntarily willing to pay.
    Because, commonly, they offer to give a guy a check today, in exchange fro his signing away his rebate to the preparer. They fill out the couple page return, e-file it, and cut the customer a check on the same day. Problem for the pathetic customer is, say that rebate is estimated to be 600 bucks. The check Mr. Tax Preparer/Shylock gives Bubba and Wanda or Demarius and Laquisha is usually about 50 cents on the dollar of the expected rebate. Thus, on the 600 dollar rebate, all they get is 300 bucks. That is an absurdly high charge, but it is nevertheless legal in most locales. The shyster is taking advantage of the fact his ignorant customer needs cash right now.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerTerry's Avatar
    vCash

I try to run mine right on the jaged edge
    I fly fake airplanes

SoonerFans.com Elite Member 1stTimeCaller's Avatar
    vCash

I don't understand this paying taxes thing. They always cut me a check at the end of the year.
    one day

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Mjcpr's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 1stTimeCaller
    I don't understand this paying taxes thing. They always cut me a check at the end of the year.
    I wasn't going to mention this to anybody, but ME TOO!!

I never send them a dime! Suckers.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Widescreen's Avatar
    vCash

By the way, this delay only affects those who have to file AMT-related forms. Everyone else can file as soon as they need to.
    Last edited by Widescreen; 12/28/2007 at 02:49 PM.