Thread: FYI HDTV Info

SoonerFans.com Elite Member 85Sooner's Avatar
    vCash

FYI HDTV Info

Sony announced this week that they will be ceasing the manufacturing of rear projection SXRD televisions. All of them.

Other companies cannot be too far behind IMO. Price margins have fallen so much that it is simply not worth the effort.

What it means? Flat panels will be the majority if not all that is available in the HDTV market. Remember, if you want one of the larger sizes (55" or up)

Your choices are going to be extremely limited and the prices will not be low.

So if you were planning on buying one. Grab it while you can.
    Merry Christmas to all.
    OBAMA= One Big A** Mistake America!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Widescreen's Avatar
    vCash

Re: FYI HDTV Info

Front projectors forever.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Harry Beanbag's Avatar
    vCash

That kinda sucks.

vCash

We went to get a nice big HiDef Christmas present a couple weeks ago, and were considering rear-projection, but the guy at Weather's TV warned us of that, so we came home with a smokin hawt 40" Sony Bravia LCD instead. No loss there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Handey
    I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our children's children, because I don't think children should be having sex.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerStud615
    We went to get a nice big HiDef Christmas present a couple weeks ago, and were considering rear-projection, but the guy at Weather's TV warned us of that, so we came home with a smokin hawt 40" Sony Bravia LCD instead. No loss there.

sweet deal

SoonerFans.com Elite Member IronSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Are they going to start implementing picture-in-picture or (like my rear-projector LCD has) side-by-side in the flat-panels? I was an inch away from buying a flat-panel Sharp, but none of theirs had PIP. I don't really understand why not, but that's a deal breaker for me. Watching 2 games at once is glorious.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by IronSooner
    Are they going to start implementing picture-in-picture or (like my rear-projector LCD has) side-by-side in the flat-panels? I was an inch away from buying a flat-panel Sharp, but none of theirs had PIP. I don't really understand why not, but that's a deal breaker for me. Watching 2 games at once is glorious.

Only on the upper end ones. PIP as we know it will be gone in two years anyway.

Lakeland, Fl - Where hurricanes cross paths.
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 85Sooner
    Only on the upper end ones. PIP as we know it will be gone in two years anyway.

Why?
    That would just pizz me off as I just bought a Vario HD because it had pip.
    Ive been enjoying watching two games at a time this year
    An Education is what you get when you Read the Instructions,
    Experience is what you get if you don't...

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OUinFLA
    Why?
    That would just pizz me off as I just bought a Vario HD because it had pip.
    Ive been enjoying watching two games at a time this year
    It's not cost-effective. It's costly to implement and it's not something that most consumers seem to want as much as you do.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Newbomb Turk's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rich
    It's not cost-effective. It's costly to implement and it's not something that most consumers seem to want as much as you do.
    I seemed to think I needed a two tuner PIP in my Sony tube TV when I bought it about 10 years ago, but I rarely use it.

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

Exactly. It's just not a feature that people are asking for anymore. At least, that's what the manufacturer's are saying. Cost competition on displays is so cutthroat that they just can't afford to throw in stuff that people aren't asking for.

Plus, it's getting to the point now where people are just buying two TVs for their living room if they're the kind of person who uses PiP extensively. I'm sure that's the solution that manufacturers would prefer anyhow.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Widescreen's Avatar
    vCash

My satellite receiver does PIP anyway so whether or not the TV supports it is irrelevant to me.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rich
    Exactly. It's just not a feature that people are asking for anymore. At least, that's what the manufacturer's are saying. Cost competition on displays is so cutthroat that they just can't afford to throw in stuff that people aren't asking for.

Plus, it's getting to the point now where people are just buying two TVs for their living room if they're the kind of person who uses PiP extensively. I'm sure that's the solution that manufacturers would prefer anyhow.

Boy you can say that again. Whew!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member tbl's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Widescreen
    My satellite receiver does PIP anyway so whether or not the TV supports it is irrelevant to me.
    Exactly. The Dish HD service is the bee's knee's... and I watch it on my Sony SXRD 50" rear projection LCD TV that is also the bee's knee's.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member JohnnyMack's Avatar
    vCash

You can have my DLP when you pry it from my cold dead....wait....what's that? A sale on Bravias? I'm in!