Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Navy Reserves or Air Force Reserves?

Anyone on here in either of these reserves? If so can you help me make a decision on which one to join?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KABOOKIE's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Navy Reserves or Air Force Reserves?

Sorry. I was in the Marines. I'd imagine your choice would be like chosing which summer camp you want to go to.

Emma's Daddy! SoonerStormchaser's Avatar
    vCash

I can maybe help answer a few on the Air Force side. Whatcha got in mind?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 rufnek05's Avatar
    vCash

do you really want to be a seaman? but I hear that the navy pays a little better.
    Thats what the internet is for--slandering others anonymously.

Lakeland, Fl - Where hurricanes cross paths.
    vCash

I was in the Navy for 6 years.
    If I had it to do over, I'd have joined the Air Force.

2 years stationed in Thailand mountains (my best friend Air Force)
    vs 2 years attached to a 5000 person floating carrier.

No brainer in retrospect.
    An Education is what you get when you Read the Instructions,
    Experience is what you get if you don't...

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Well, I am 31 married with 3 small children. I really would like to avoid deployment for awhile anyways. I have a pretty good civilian job however I just do not like it. I am looking for something in one of these branches that would help me in the long run with a great civilian job.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member critical_phil's Avatar
    vCash

i was in the usnr for a few years after active doody. imo, reservists are the biggest waste of carbon ever put on god's green earth.

my guess is that 9/10 people in the usnr had never been on active duty, which made it very difficult for me coming from the active duty side. i'd be surprised if most of them could find their asses with both hands, a map, and a garmin shoved up their rectum.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by critical_phil
    i was in the usnr for a few years after active doody. imo, reservists are the biggest waste of carbon ever put on god's green earth.

my guess is that 9/10 people in the usnr had never been on active duty, which made it very difficult for me coming from the active duty side. i'd be surprised if most of them could find their asses with both hands, a map, and a garmin shoved up their rectum.
    There is no way I could go active duty and still support my family. It just does not pay enough.

Emma's Daddy! SoonerStormchaser's Avatar
    vCash

Ok...would you go as an officer or would you enlist?

If officer, here's what you've gotta put up with thus far (and you wanna be a flyboy):
    1. OTS...16 weeks at lovely [barf] Maxwell AFB, Alabama...get your commission
    2a. Pilot training...anywhere from 12-18 months (maybe longer if there's a backlog and then you're put on casual for up to a year) at one of four locations: Vance AFB, OK; Columbus AFB, MS; Laughlin AFB, TX or NAS Whiting Field, FL
    2b. Nav school...12-18 months (again, depends on the backlog)...at Randolph AFB, TX
    3. After you get your pilot/nav wings, it could be up to another 6-8 months at your Replacement Training Unit (RTU) learning and getting certified for your particular airframe.
    4. As soon as your qualified, you start your weekend gig...only yes, you can and will get deployed...prolly more so Navy than Air Force.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb
    There is no way I could go active duty and still support my family. It just does not pay enough.

i wouldn't suggest that you did. i'm just saying that, in my experience, you couldn't find a bigger gathering of know-nothing, do-nothings on the planet if you tried.

except maybe at the post office or DMV.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

i wouldn't suggest that you did. i'm just saying that, in my experience, you couldn't find a bigger gathering of know-nothing, do-nothings on the planet if you tried.

except maybe at the post office or DMV.
    LOL

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerStormchaser
    Ok...would you go as an officer or would you enlist?

If officer, here's what you've gotta put up with thus far (and you wanna be a flyboy):
    1. OTS...16 weeks at lovely [barf] Maxwell AFB, Alabama...get your commission
    2a. Pilot training...anywhere from 12-18 months (maybe longer if there's a backlog and then you're put on casual for up to a year) at one of four locations: Vance AFB, OK; Columbus AFB, MS; Laughlin AFB, TX or NAS Whiting Field, FL
    2b. Nav school...12-18 months (again, depends on the backlog)...at Randolph AFB, TX
    3. After you get your pilot/nav wings, it could be up to another 6-8 months at your Replacement Training Unit (RTU) learning and getting certified for your particular airframe.
    4. As soon as your qualified, you start your weekend gig...only yes, you can and will get deployed...prolly more so Navy than Air Force.
    I am looking to go in the computer field, electrical, or administrative.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Harry Beanbag's Avatar
    vCash

That's why I wanted no part of the reserves after I got out. I was tired enough of some of the idiots on active duty.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Beanbag
    That's why I wanted no part of the reserves after I got out. I was tired enough of some of the idiots on active duty.

well, i joined the usnr to get away from the gd marines.

i thought people couldn't get any dumber. man was i wrong.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb
    I am looking to go in the computer field, electrical, or administrative.

Active duty, Navy is the best for technicians. I have no idea about the reserves.

vCash

well, i joined the usnr to get away from the gd marines.

i thought people couldn't get any dumber. man was i wrong.

I worked with the smartest group of people I've ever met in the Navy, but I also had to put up the dumbest group of people I've ever met on the same ship, just different jobs. Seriously, I would guess the IQ range between the most intelligent and least intelligent dude on my ship was at least 100 points.

My experience is the bright ones just want to get as far away as possible, the others think it's best life could possibly get so they hang around as long as possible.

vCash

I betcha they could find Houston though!

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Beanbag
    Active duty, Navy is the best for technicians. I have no idea about the reserves.
    This is what I have been hearing allot along with it being easier to move up in rank in the Navy.

vCash

I was active duty only but I'll agree with your characterization of reservist 100%. It could have just been the field I was in (cryptology) but the ones that came and spent time with us were as useful as a potted plant.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

vCash

one of the biggest problems i had in the reserves was how different the makeup of the units were as far as rank. it seemed like all enlisted people are E4 or E5 and all officers are O3.

as a result, it was all chiefs and no indians. that's not the way the military is intended to operate.