Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Earl Campbell, an old, hurting man at 52

God bless Earl Campbell.I think this may be very common among players as they age.My wifes brother was a lineman on a very good Abilene Christian team in the early 70's, he also is 52 and has battled with his weight for years causing back, leg and feet problems.
    Last edited by redblood; 12/10/2007 at 03:44 PM.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jason White's Third Knee's Avatar
    [loh-key-shuhn] noun-a place of settlement, activity, or residence: This town is a good location.
    vCash

I remember pretending to be Earl Campbell as a kid. If you grew up the same time I did, you were wearing the biggest shoulder pads you could find, dipping your shoulder running over anything you could and high kneeing in to the end zone. And man those thighs were super human.

Great guy. Even my dad liked him, and he hates everything that isn't OU.

Great hot links. Wish we could get 'em in Illinois.
    I'm working up a Rondo thirst.

The Summer before college, I saw Earl play in the Texas All-State game. After the game I went into his dressing room with Jerry Pettibone. I was astonished by Earl's physical build.

vCash

One of my all-time fav running backs. Loved watching him on those 'Luv Ya Blue' Houston Oiler teams of the late 70's/early 80's.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner24's Avatar
    vCash

Greatest running back I ever saw play against OU. One of the greatest running backs in NFL history. What a shame. God bless you Earl.
    Sooner Legends Inn & Suites

Voted #1 Hotel in Norman, OK - 2009
    Voted #2 Overall Restaurant in Norman, OK - 2009
    Voted #1 Catering in Norman, OK - 2009

1 Corinthians 1:18---For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White's Third Knee
    Those are some good eatin...and we can get 'em here in the texas panhandle.
    Think I got some in the freezer right now...course it's colder outside then it is in the freezer so I want be grillin any up anytime soon.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

I loved watching him play and hate to hear he's down right now. And I really, really hope I'm not reading about AD in similar circumstances in 25 years. As much as I love football, it's hell to see guys my age who are, in all physical senses of the word, 'old men'.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Crucifax Autumn's Avatar
    vCash

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jason White's Third Knee

Those are some good eatin...and we can get 'em here in the texas panhandle.
    Think I got some in the freezer right now...course it's colder outside then it is in the freezer so I want be grillin any up anytime soon.
    Damn right they're good! They keep ya regular and all, but it's well worth it!

Anyone remember what the brand was all us okies were eating back in the 70's? those were even better...made summer with the grandparents even better!

When the Shooting Starts, We Kill What Moves
    Roland Deschain of Gilead
    ________

- Olevet Posse Gunslinger -

vCash

Isn't it amazing when you see an old school player like Campbell who was built so bulletproof, but didn't life weights at all. It's crazy to think of that. I played college football, and you always have some physical freaks who are just genetically "up there", but we still all worked out a lot too. You could literally take 22 year old Earl Campbell, drop him in as a RB at any time or era in football, and he would dominate.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SOONER STEAKER's Avatar
    vCash

Earl was something to watch. Man, could he destroy jerseys, seems like when someone grabbed him his shirt ripped off. Seems like Texas could afford shirts that didn't rip away?

I forgot, tear away jerseys. Just think what kind of yards AD would have gained if he wore tear away shirts?

Love ya Earl, may God give you many years of good health.
    Here I sit just a flexin, giving birth to another UT grad.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member birddog's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Earickson
    Coolest nickname too.

I hope his back heals up. I'm a nurse, and whenever I have patients who are young(by young, I mean 45-60), but hopelessy screwed up with pain and disability, it's always the back. Take care of yer backs people, because apparently, if it breaks, you can A)never really fix it completely, and B) there's a good chance you'll end up being an opiate addict. Anyway, good luck to Earl the Pearl, he was a machine.
    yep, when earl said he stopped taking his pain meds i wondered what exactly that meant. it's not something you take for a few years and then just stop altogether. the withdrawal is horrendous and takes a few weeks/months to recover.

Sooner Starter
    Football's godforsaken wasteland -- ACC country!
    vCash

I met Earl Campbell once, outside the Cotton Bowl at the TX State Fair -- must have been about 86 or 87. My father saw him standing there and walked over to give his best wishes.

I said "Who's that?" He said, 'That's Earl Campbell." So I turned around and shook his hand also.

That guy was just a man. Hard to hear what's happened to him.

I'll hope for the best.
    OU is about winning championships!!! osu is about whining about OU winning those championships!!! -- SoonerKnight, 10/31/2007

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Scott D's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TripleOption14
    This is one of the main reasons you see guys play for 7,8,9 years make their money and simply retire. A la Barry Sanders, Jim Brown, Robert Smith etc etc. They don't wanna end up like Earl. Man thats bad.
    well to be fair, their reasons for leaving weren't exactly related to Campbell.

Sanders - tired of the joke that is the Lions franchise (Even moreso when he retired)
    Brown - retired to make movies..was purely a business decision
    Smith - heart wasn't in football as much..but hey, this is a guy who quit the Ohio State team because he wanted to go to Med School.
    "The mark of a great player is in his ability to come back. The great champions have all come back from defeat." - Sam Snead