SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

RIP Entertainment Original Porter Wagoner

Porter Wagoner 1927-2007

Passed away over the weekend at age 80. Porter Wayne Wagoner was born August 12, 1927 of Irish-German heritage in the Ozarks of Missouri near the Arkansas border.

Porter Wagoners’ broad smile, flashy costume and memorable songs are the very image of a country music star. Indeed, he is an icon in the music industry. The “Thin Man From West Plains” (Missouri), is among the most recognized names and images in all of country music.

Porter, his band the Wagonmasters and the little gal with the big voice, (among other things) on the set of his weekly television program popular in the 1970's.

His grand showmanship, his rhinestone suits, his loyalty to the Grand Ole Opry, his TV leadership, his championing of Dolly Parton, his unique singing voice, his exquisite recitations, his songwriting, and especially, his record production, have all culminated in the legacy that is Porter Wagoner.

"Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

SoonerFans.com Elite Member TUSooner's Avatar
    Inside your monitor. Hit it with a hammer to release me and get 3 wishes.
    vCash

Re: RIP Entertainment Original Porter Wagoner

I used to cringe whenever my beloved GM and GP used to watch that show.
    I'm a lot more appreciative of different things now.
    You tell me it's the institution. Well, you know, you'd better free your mind instead.
    (Shoo-bee doo-wah)

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Actually got to see ol' Porter at the Opry, which mainly was fun because of the story my folks told me of getting to see Porter with Ms. Dolly backing at the old OKC Ballroom when they were attending OU.

"How did you find me?"

"I'm the man."

Thrill as Bob Stoops turns the knobs and adjusts the dials of his latest killing machine...

-Dr. Saturday

SoonerFans.com Elite Member bluedogok's Avatar
    vCash

He replaced my cousin on a TV show that he hosted for six years at the start of TNN called Opryland on Stage. Wagoner lobbied to get the show and it was canceled about a year later.