Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Late Hit?

Late Hit?

How did we dodge a late hit penalty on Austin English? It looked awfully late because the play was blown dead at the snap. Whether he heard a whistle or not shouldn't be an issue. I dont' think it changed the outcome of the game but I sure cringed when he didn't pull up.
    Last edited by Redshirt; 10/8/2007 at 05:18 PM.
    ...Oh, you were finished? Well then, allow me to retort...
    Jules
    www.MyTulsaHouse.com

SoonerFans.com Elite Member colleyvillesooner's Avatar
    Out back...in the hot tub, you know, hanging out
    vCash

Re: Late Hit?

I agree. I don't think he heard the whistle, but we still should have gotten a flag. He could have REALLY hurt Colt on that play.
    Sometimes I think I drink alot, then I see, like, the Motley Crüe behind the music, and realize I'm a huge *****.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

I bet Colt has nightmares about that guy!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by colleyvillesooner
    He could have REALLY hurt Colt on that play.
    He's REALLY hurt on every play.

vCash

yeah, we were trying to figure out what was going on there... "why is McCoy just standing there?"

lol

i didn't hear the whistle either

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Collier11's Avatar
    vCash

I was told by someone there that only one or two of the refs blew the play dead, also many of the texas guys kept playing as well. Maybe im wrong but what ive heard
    Ranger Reese of OVJ country, Patrollin tha hood.

I Survived Drunkytown with OleVet and all I got was this rash!

With a record of 109-23 (.826) and six Big 12 championships in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
    ~ Ivan Maisel

http://sportslife11.blogspot.com/

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by colleyvillesooner
    I agree. I don't think he heard the whistle, but we still should have gotten a flag.
    could it be that the ref for that portion of the field didn't hear it either, thus thinking the play was still live.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Widescreen's Avatar
    vCash

If you look at the replay, all the UT players kept blocking and all of our guys kept rushing. Hardly anybody seemed to notice the whistle - except for Doug Flutie, of course.

I was pretty close to the play from my seats, and I heard no whistle at all. Up untill after the play, most everyone in my section had thought that it was a live play and a sack. Watching the game on dvr yesterday, I don't remember backfield ref ever doing anything to signal that the play was dead. If I'm Mack (and thank the Lord that I'm not), I'd give the ref more than a verbal lashing. If there was any wrong-doing, it was the ref and not English. You've got to stop the play at least four or five seconds before it gets to the point where English is eating Colt 4-2's soul.

I thought we were going to get a flag. But it would have just offset the false start wouldn't it?
    Sooner born, Still being bred...

Awesoministrator

vCash

You could see it pretty clearly from where I was sitting. The ref on our side blew his whistle and waved his arms just as the ball was snapped.

The ref on Auston's side and the back judge never signaled anything from what I saw. The play on our side of the field and it was very loud.

Watch the clip again and tell me if there is anyone not playing like it's a real play until Colt stiffens up a split-second before Auston hits him.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

IIRC, the play was blown dead ONLY on the side opposite of English; everyone on the other side was acting as if the ball was live, refs included.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 CtheB's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger
    I thought we were going to get a flag. But it would have just offset the false start wouldn't it?
    No, it would have been a dead ball foul. They would have marked off the false start 5 yards, then marked forward the ball 15 yards and given UT an auto first down.

Ready for Baseball Season tulsaoilerfan's Avatar
    vCash

Hell we were watching at my house and none of us realized the play was blown dead before he blew him up

Ready for Baseball Season tulsaoilerfan's Avatar
    vCash

But i think the refs made up for it with all the holds we got called for later on

SoonerFans.com Elite Member colleyvillesooner's Avatar
    Out back...in the hot tub, you know, hanging out
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino
    You could see it pretty clearly from where I was sitting. The ref on our side blew his whistle and waved his arms just as the ball was snapped.

The ref on Auston's side and the back judge never signaled anything from what I saw. The play on our side of the field and it was very loud.

Watch the clip again and tell me if there is anyone not playing like it's a real play until Colt stiffens up a split-second before Auston hits him.
    The key in this clip is the only players English could see is an OL/DL still locked up, a Colt looking down field with the ball.
    Sometimes I think I drink alot, then I see, like, the Motley Crüe behind the music, and realize I'm a huge *****.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member JohnnyMack's Avatar
    vCash

The referee is the one who ****ed up here and that's why he didn't (couldn't) flag English. As loud as it was on the field English isn't the only one who didn't hear the whistle, it's obvious the referee doesn't either. One of the main functions of the referee in fact is to protect the QB. The ref is turning his head to see that the side judge has blown his whistle, then his head snaps back and sees English pop McCoy. If the referee called the false start OR heard the whistle, he would have been blowing his whistle (directly towards AE), waving his arms and moving in to protect the QB.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SouthFortySooner's Avatar
    vCash

It is being painted by some hornfans we are all rah rah about this play. What I see overwhelmingly is it just happened. Everyone is standing around like, what? A lot like the texis players were at the end of the game, whut? where?
    " Ok children put your hands on your heart... and face Norman."

SoonerFans.com Elite Member JohnnyMack's Avatar
    vCash

And the audio you hear of the whistles blowing is deceptive. The sound booms are on the sidelines, nearer the side judge who was blowing his whistle. So on TV you can pick up the whistle, but on the field if the whistle is being blown from the other side of the field and you add in the crowd noise and I'd bet a nickel English didn't hear it.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Anyone who has been to the RRS knows you can't hear yourself think. I heard the whistle on television and the other announcers pointed out to Flutie that he heard it through his headset. I guess that's what all those dish microphones on the sidelines do.

I thought we would get the penalty regardless of the Tejass o-line continuing to block and McCoy still winding up. Breathed a huge sigh of relief for no flag and that McCoy wasn't hurt - that time, anyway. English could have hurt him but didn't so that's enough for me.