1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WVU Might Be For Real

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by Eielson, Sep 13, 2014.

1. soonergirlNeugene

soonergirlNeugene New Member

Sounds about right. I don't think I'd recognize Tennessee's Worley w/o Striker sitting on his chest, but it sure seemed like WV was able to keep him contained for the most part.

2. aurorasooner

aurorasooner Well-Known Member

W VA, but that was at their place. Tennessee next year at their place could be a tough game, but they'll be breaking in a new QB.

That's what I like about college FB. Just look at the Oregon/Wash St game tonight. W. State hasn't looked worth a chite this year, yet they're playing tough tonight.

3. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Striker was still very active. Amazing, be got credit for his 1st full sack of the year and had the second one negated from Obo lining up offsides. Made some very good tackles too.

4. BlownGP

BlownGP Member

Agree again. I think Tennessee has a better defense overall. We just played into WV hands the first half by throwing it. Love TK but he's no Bradford or Jones and we only have ONE proven receiver.

We had to stick to the running game to win and we did...

5. Eielson

Eielson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

When WVU kicked it 5 yards deep in the endzone, Ross usually didn't return it. To me, that seems like an admission that returning it more than 25 yards is pretty unlikely. Otherwise, it's just a bad decision on our part. Trickett was really having his way with us for a while there, and if we had just skipped halftime, I was starting to wonder if we'd ever stop them. We answered fairly well most of the time, but that's the issue. We answered, and they were setting the tone. We also had to pull out a trick play just to score a 4 yard touchdown. I'm not saying they dominated us, and I felt like we'd still win, but I definitely felt out played. At the very least, we were outplayed for the first 28:40. We didn't have any breathing room until 44 minutes into the game, and we didn't seal it until 55:30. While I don't think they would have scored had Obo lined up onside, they still drove the ball down the field and scored on us. It wasn't luck (the penalty was, but not the other 70 yards), so I'm not willing to discount it entirely. I guess it comes down to what you mean by "beat them good." It was a solid win, and we definitely deserved it, but it wasn't a beatdown. Not even close by Oklahoma standards.

I still stand by everything I said in this thread (we could have trouble in Morgantown, but will probably still come out with the W, WVU is going bowling, WE'LL HAVE TROUBLE GUARDING SMITH)

Agreed. If we're both 1-loss at the end of the season, though, I don't know that we made enough of a statement in this game to make a difference in the playoff picture. If we win out, though, none of this matters.

6. Eielson

Amazingly, if he hadn't torn up Alabama (dream on Kouandjio and McCarron), Striker would be sitting at 5 career sacks. Really makes you question how good of a statistic sacks really is.

7. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I never said it was a beat down, someone else did. But I think it was a dominate win. I don't get your point about Ross and the 5 yards. I just watched the replay and it was about 2 yards deep, but that's not the whole story. It matters how far the coverage is down field and how the blocking is setup. Also, with 1:20 left in the half, you want the guy to return it more aggressively. If he only gets to the 20 it's not a big deal to lose a few yards and a few seconds compared to the chance for a big return. You need field position and a touchback is unlikely to yield points with only 1:20 left in the half. But looking at the game from a high level, it's pretty common for a lesser team to stay with the better team for a half of play. It's really hard to put a good team away. A good team plays 60 minutes, they make plays on offense, defense and special team and they make adjustments to shut down what's working (especially halftime adjustments). OUr guys did all of those things. As far as that garbage TD, WVU had clearly thrown in the towel. They were running the ball and throwing short and not trying to score quickly to get back in the game. At that point, it wisest to just let them do it since you don't care who has the ball as long as the clock is running - just don't let them hit a big play. But on top of that, some of our guys were just standing around and not hustling anymore. The score really didn't bother me, I was just bummed Striker didn't get his sack recorded as he played a great game.

Agreed there won't be much perceived difference between this game and Bama's game against WVU - they look very similar from a distance.

8. Okie35

Okie35 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

They are a legit team and I'm glad that game is over with.

9. Okie35

Okie35 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I think Alabama would've lost @ West Virginia. Especially if they had their same game plan without running the ball in the 1st half.

10. CatfishSooner

CatfishSooner New Member

WV is pretty darn good! they'll win some games this year...

11. PhiDeltBeers

PhiDeltBeers Finding the apex

I think WVU is deserving of a top 25 spot. Playing OU and Bama as well as they did speaks volumes for them. Going to be interesting to watch them host Baylor on Oct 18.

12. oupride

oupride New Member

Baylor is expected to be undefeated when they play Oklahoma on Nov. 8. To accomplish that, the Bears will also go through Morgantown, WV, Oct. 18.

13. soonergirlNeugene

soonergirlNeugene New Member

I think they will. Baylor looks to be at least as legit as they were last year. It's almost like they've switched places with Texas.

14. Eielson

I'm cool with that. Just as long as we're still OU and can win 5 in a row.