1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WR K.J. Young commits to OU

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by 8timechamps, Jan 13, 2013.

1. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

jkm the stolen pifwafwi SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Exactly.

In high school, you can get away with a lot of things because the guy next to you may not have the talent to stop you. If you are faster than the kid guarding you than you can get away with rounding your routes or looking back for the ball early. In college, you have to learn how to run a square in that is 90 degrees instead of 60 degrees or the defender will cut under you and knock the ball away. How you do this is to make sure you get your body low on the break so that you don't have as much force acting on your upper body forcing you out of the break (which saps speed and balance). The other thing you have to learn when you are used to rounding routes is how to keep your head stationary forward and then whip it around and find the ball. Because it is a new skill, getting used to your head moving 180 degrees and refocusing takes a ton of reps. That was supposedly why Spurrier Jr used the tennis balls instead of a football. The color and size helped to build the skill faster than just using a football since he had to teach a bunch of DBs how to catch the ball.

2. cleller

cleller SoonerFans.com Elite Member

3. picasso

picasso SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I remember Ben Cavil.

4. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

I saw that.

It wouldn't be surprising to know that a team like Idaho State or Northern Arizona did things like that (just because they lack the resources of an Oklahoma or Alabama), but Miami?! Crazy.

5. Scott D

Scott D SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I think I had a class or two with Ben