1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WR K.J. Young commits to OU

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by 8timechamps, Jan 13, 2013.

1. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

K.J. Young (6'0". 183 lbs - Perris, Calif ) - 3 star wide receiver according to Scouts, Inc.

ESPN Analyst

This guy has some of the best hand-eye coordination and ball skills in this class and has fallen under the radar to some degree. Young is a wiry prospect with a lean build and adequate height. Is best from the slot and is a savvy player that may actually possess better top end speed than he does sudden explosiveness which is unique. He possesses big play ability as an offensive weapon. He is used as a go-to, big play guy.

He has great hands, runs adequate routes and is very reliable as a short-to-intermediate player, but will surprise you with the occasional acrobatic catch, and he has a sneaky second gear to get over the top on deep routes. He has a penchant for making the spectacular grab look simple and easy. Body control and sideline awareness is exceptional. Will make a lot of plays on the jump ball despite not having great height. He shows the ability to pluck on the run and away from his frame.

Is natural when catching over his head. Also adjusts well to the poorly-thrown ball. He is primarily used on slip screens or as a deep threat and lacks route running experience in the short-to-intermediate game. He has a tendency to round off his routes. Needs to learn to drop his weight in order to get in and out of his breaks quicker. Young is an intriguing guy that should be seeing a ton of non-BCS action and some BCS conference attention from some.

2. Soonerjeepman

Soonerjeepman SoonerFans.com Elite Member

drop his weight? really...I'd think his size is a plus.

8time, where are we on the kid that was headed to Cal on Monday? 6'5 receiver? from Tx I think...we offered like really late. Had already committed to Cal.

3. jk the sooner fan

jk the sooner fan loved by all

i'm glad we got this kid - but i wonder about a recruit when i see that the other schools considering him were Colorado, Boise St, and Iowa St

just sayin...

4. 8timechamps

Dannon Cavil is the kid you're thinking about. He wasn't part of the group that visited over the weekend, so not much news out there. He made a comment yesterday (to a reporter) that the "verdict is still out", so it looks like he's not sure. He's going to be an early enrollee wherever he ends up, and OU starts Monday, so if he's coming to Norman, we'll know probably in the next 24 hours.

5. 8timechamps

If it makes you feel any better, once OU offered, Washington, Washington State and UCLA were all over him.

6. Curly Bill

Curly Bill I'm a shootist

Yep, the kid may turn out to be the best receiver to come though OU, but it is concerning.

7. Curly Bill

Not really! LOL

8. 8timechamps

You guys put too much into who else is recruiting someone. There are the big names that everyone recruits, but there are a ton of good players that aren't on the radar. Like I said, once OU offered this kid, the PAC-12 came calling. His pops told 'em "thanks, but it's too little, too late".

Interestingly, this is a Tim Kish recruit.

9. Curly Bill

You're the one who tried to make it look better saying after we offered, so did those Pac-12 schools.

10. Fraggle145

Fraggle145 Drunky Town Limnologist

Tim Kish needs to focus on the damn LBs. Quite possibly the weakest personnel group we have on the field...

11. 8timechamps

Nu-uh, you did!

Shut yer mouth!

12. 8timechamps

Yeah, he hasn't exactly been lighting up the recruiting trail this year. It's still early, so I'll give him another year.

13. BoomerJ

BoomerJ New Member

Saw KJ's highlight reel. The guy makes some insane catches and you're right 8Times about the second gear. Can't wait to see what he can do for OU.

Now would be nice to get one more OL, a couple LB's, and 2-3 DB's.

14. 8timechamps

I wouldn't be surprised to see K.J. redshirt next year. He has some insane ability, but needs some better position coaching.

15. Sooner Sig Ep

Sooner Sig Ep New Member

By "drop his weight", I think they are just referring to lowering his center of gravity"....

16. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

17. Scott D

Scott D SoonerFans.com Elite Member

There is a lot of weight in regards to who is recruiting a kid as to how it continues elsewhere.

For example, using my friend's son his initial interest was from NCState (legacy), Florida and South Carolina. Within weeks of that initial list of schools interested USC, UCLA, Washington, Penn St., Georgia Tech, North Carolina, and Miss. St came calling.

18. budbarrybob

budbarrybob New Member

seems to be said a lil too often lately...

19. OkieThunderLion

OkieThunderLion New Member

So many people want OU to be more like the "2000 team", but then they b--ch when the commits OU signs aren't at least 4-stars, or don't have 20 offers.

20. NorthernIowaSooner

NorthernIowaSooner New Member

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=5785271

Scout says he committed to OU.