1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Word on the streets is that Prater decomitted from USC...

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by tommieharris91, Jan 8, 2010.

1. tommieharris91

tommieharris91 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I have no link regarding this news, but with Carroll leaving USC, I would expect more of his recruits to bail out. Any chance we get any of their guys?

2. ratherthanlater

ratherthanlater New Member

I'd like to get Xavier Grimble.

3. Soonerus

Soonerus SoonerFans.com Elite Member

USC going on probation...

4. OULenexaman

OULenexaman New Member

I will be talking to his Dad on monday....I see and talk to him 3 to 4 times a week....this changes everything....plus his mom and dad were not that excited about him going to USC from the get go.......I know....His dad has expressed this to me many times....stay tuned...:pop:

5. oudavid1

oudavid1 @DavidLeake

Golly i hope we get him

6. DakotaSooner

DakotaSooner New Member

This opens up a couple of doors for us. You would certainly think that USC would have some shaky commitments with everything that is going down.

7. BillyBall

BillyBall Well-Known Member

I think that if Grimble decommits, we would be in great shape. We were in the final 2 when he committed originally.

Prater on the other hand, I have a hard time believing he ends up in Norman.

8. boomersooner28

boomersooner28 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

According to USC peeps, Prater has been trying to get a hold of anyone on the coaching staff and they won't return his calls.

9. DakotaSooner

DakotaSooner New Member

Grimble and Prater and Henderson would be welcomed with arms wide open.

10. Desert Sapper

Desert Sapper New Member

I'm thinking many of their recruits would be welcome with WIDE OPEN arms...Petey has been recruiting like a MFer for years.

11. boomersooner28

boomersooner28 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Speaking of Henderson, they say they lost him to tOSU? I haven't seen anything about him committed anywhere? :confused:

12. IronHorseSooner

IronHorseSooner New Member

This may have second-order effect with guys still considering them. The one that comes to mind is Jackson Jeffcoat. I know that SUC was one of his finalists. He might be another that where it comes down between us and UTerus, if SUC gets eliminated.

Whereas Grimble is a top-tier talent, I don't know if we would necessarily go after him. We already signed a Top 10, home-grown TE with Haywood, and a really good TE/H-Back type with Millard. To me, Prater would be more likely, now that he knows that White isn't coming here.

13. jonclarkx

jonclarkx New Member

Did Prater take a visit to Norman? Sounds like he was down to ND and USC until Weis left, which left him to strengthen his verbal to USC. The only other contending teams he was considering before was Illinois (his home state) and Alabama.

Grimble on the other hand was down to USC and OU - if he were to decommit it would pretty much be us unless he wanted to consider Florida again.

14. jonclarkx

jonclarkx New Member

Here is a quote from Brennan Clay from back in September

"I think were going to get (Kyle) Prater," Clay said. "He backed off his USC commitment and I think we have a great shot at him. To be honest, I think we can get Prater and Darius White"

Obviously we didn't get White, but if Prater were to decommit, sounds like Clay thinks we might be next in line.

15. trwxxa

trwxxa New Member

There is a blurb on ESPN.Com. It only stated his 5th official visit was going to be to Miami. He had already tripped to USC, ND, Florida and tOSU.

16. pappy

pappy Well-Known Member

Kyle Prater is going to be an early enrollee too. If he were to decommitt and pick us we'd have him and kenny stills at wr in the spring.

17. Collier11

Collier11 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Apparently usc assistants never called back a group of commits when the commits called regarding what Carroll was doing, completely ignored them but called today asking if their commitment still stood or not. Real Classy

18. IronHorseSooner

IronHorseSooner New Member

That's funny that they would call back to today, since Prater is playing in an all-star game in San Antonio today! SUC got some recruits today, but they were defensive. The commentators stated that a coaching move like this is more important for offensive versus defensive guys. If let's say, Coach Leach went to SUC, then Grimble might look elsewhere because Leach's offense doesn't use TEs. If they get a more run-oriented, SEC-type guy, then Prater would probably want to move. However, if I were any one of those guys, I would want to un-arse the AO and get away from that sinking ship. BTW, some of those guys committing to SUc are SoCal guys who are SUC fans, so I wouldn't read much into this.

19. delhalew

delhalew SoonerFans.com Elite Member

That means Henderson has eliminated us. I heard him say he was trying to decide between us and Miami for his final visit.

20. Desert Sapper

Desert Sapper New Member

Henderson would be smart to come here. He would have a very good shot at starting from jump street and receiving the messiah-like love from the press (and the fans) for solidifying our O-Line. Our O-Line is going to be better in '10, anyway. Henderson would give it that extra boost to put it in a top-5 status, IMO.

I would like to see George Uko reopen his recruiting. We really need a top DT.

Prater would be nice. I think he would have a very good shot to play early for us, and would be playing on a national stage.

Grimble would be excellent. We really missed having that playmaking ability at the TE spot this year.

Ultimately, I'd be happy with whatever we can win out of this. It seems like USC has been winning several recruiting battles with us recently.

The only thing that would be better than Pete Carroll leaving USC for us would be a tactical nuke (figurative of course ;) ) going off in Austin.