1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wine Tasting Party

Discussion in 'South Oval' started by BajaOklahoma, May 26, 2007.

1. BajaOklahoma

BajaOklahoma SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Somehow, an evening of wine tasting was offered as an item to bid on at our school's spring fund raiser. :eek: I don't know how that slid by the rules. The basket of wine the was offered was discovered - I was asked to keep it in my trunk until bidding was over as I don't park on school property. :D

A parent and two of the teachers went in together and won the wine tasting. Mr. Baja and I attended last night. It was in Dallas - a nightmare to get to due to the rain and the stupid traffic backup on 75. Kind of wierd to have the teachers at one table and parents at another.

I do not appreciate wine. I have an uneducated palate and it all tastes like vinegar - the best of it tastes like watered-down vinegar. :O I went to be around people.

I think someone needs to come up with a frozen margarita tasting party. Different tequillas, different recipes.

MamaMia likes this.
  2. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

Go with vodka.

The new and the old vodkas will RYFO.

3. GottaHavePride

GottaHavePride Brewmaster

What kind of wine are you trying? If it's white zinfandel get away from that crap. It's wine that couldn't decide what kind of wine it wanted to be when it grew up, so it just tastes like butt. I've never met a white zin I actually liked.

If they all taste like vinegar to you try the sweeter ones - better rieslings, or an auslese or spatlese. Maybe a lambrusco.

4. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

I was at a Tequila tasting with Lindsey Lohan last night...

She borrowed my mercedes to go to the store and I haven't seen her since...

Oh well...I'm too old for her anyway...

OUinFLA likes this.
  5. OUinFLA

OUinFLA Older Clique Member

I used to have wine tasting parties when I was in college.

One week it was Boone's Farm
    One week it was Ripple
    One week it was Annie Green Springs

just whatever was on sale by the case that week was the spirit of choice.

StoopTroup and Mjcpr like this.
  6. BajaOklahoma

We started out with a sparkling wine - probably the best of the 14.
    We had sweet wines, dry wines, woody wines, light wines.

I like vodka. :)

StoopTroup likes this.
  7. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

Woody wines....

heh.

8. VeeJay

VeeJay SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Night Train.

A buddy once told me, when staring at his empty bottle, "You gotta respect a wine with a locomotive on the label."

9. MamaMia

MamaMia Moderator

I love wine, especially red wine. You cant get fine wine in Woodward Oklahoma unless you pay way over what you can buy it for on the internet. The Oklahoma liquor laws are so backward that I cant have it shipped to me, so I have to have it shipped to my longhorn loving brother in law in Texas. I only buy one or two bottles a month, and just get it when we go down for a game or a family get together.

10. OKC Sooner

OKC Sooner New Member

I once went to a champagne-tasting. That's where I found out that champagne gets you drunk a LOT faster than wine. It was pretty funny... it started out with the host talking about champagne and everyone listening politely. Then he started uncorking the bottles, starting with the cheap stuff and working his way up to the good stuff. By the time everyone had had about three glasses, the host was slurring his words and there was a muted rumble in the room from people talking to each other. Six glasses, the rumble was a full throated roar with the occasional burst of maniacal laughter, the host had given up trying to talk to the crowd and was flirting with a waitress.

Learned some interesting things. The most useful was that cheap champagne should be served COLD. Like, a degree above freezing. I guess the cold numbs the palate or something. If you're having a dinner party with several couples, buy a case of Cooks, put it in the fridge the day before, then an hour before people start showing up, put in the freezer. When everyone gets there, start serving and keep glasses full for an hour. By the time you eat, it doesn't matter what you're serving or how good it is, everyone will be so hammered that they'll love it. :D

Octavian likes this.
  11. GottaHavePride

There are a couple of freakin' great little vineyards in Kansas that put out $10 bottles of wine that taste as good as $25 imports. I think one of them is around Wellington somewhere.

12. BajaOklahoma

I thought the rule was to start with the expensive stuff and work your way down. They'll be so drunk, they won't remember how bad the cheap stuff was.

Mama, save up your money & the next time you come down here, go to a couple of the local stores. Then you can be sure that your idiot b-i-l hasn't tampered with it.

13. fesperman58

fesperman58 New Member

It's actually very easy to find wine shops online that will ship to Oklahoma. The best way to do this is to google a winery that you like and three or four results down will be wine shops.....look around and you will quickly find one that is willing to ship to Oklahoma. I have done this several times.

14. GottaHavePride

Alternatively, if there's a wine shop somewhere in OKC that you like I'd be willing to bet they'd cut you a deal if you tell them your going to come in and do all your wine purchases for the next 6 months in one shot.

15. King Crimson

King Crimson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

places will almost always give you a per case discount.

16. proud gonzo

proud gonzo SoonerFans.com Elite Member

...there is good wine in Greece. we had "wine tastings" frequently.

17. OUinFLA

OUinFLA Older Clique Member

well, shoot, lets just jet over there anytime we want to get a classy buzz on.

18. royalfan5

royalfan5 Superbia in Proelio

My college roommates built an elaborate game around drinking Night Train. The main requirement was that you finish the bottle in less than 30 minutes. It worked well until 100lb sorority girls wanted to play.