1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will 2 New Bowls to the Majors Dilute the Need for Further Conference Realignment?

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by alabama sooner, Jun 26, 2012.

1. alabama sooner

alabama sooner New Member

I was surprised that at least one, but probably 2, of the existing bowls will be upgraded to become one of the 6 rotating "Majors" playing for Semi-Final sites toward the first Playoff Championship.

I had come to believe that the Fiesta Bowl was on its last legs and would be replaced by Jerry's World (Cotton Bowl) as the site of the Champions Bowl between the B12 and SEC. However, the announcement of 6 rotating Majors gives new life to the Fiesta. I still think B12 leaves the Fiesta and goes to Dallas. However, the idea of 6 Majors, rotating 2 every year for the semi-final games gives me pause about conference realignment.

Specifically, now the ACC can team with Big Least or Conference USA or the Mountain West even, and retain their status as a big conference player (even if we laugh!). If they do so at the Orange Bowl, they could bring in Boise State every year (good luck with that, Florida State) for a game that the fans might actually be interested in. Or they could tread water and link up with the diluted Big Least. Regardless, each year the ACC is still at the table quacking about how important they are. "See, we're part of the Process!" says Swofford.

So, I'm now uncertain what the pressure will be to force everyone into 4 Super Conferences. Seems that the apparent approach (that all 12 Conference Commissioners agreed to) gives every one at least a small bite of the apple. Could be why Boise is waffling. Could be the reason Dabo Swinney didn't mind popping off about leaving for the B12. Could be the reason why FSU might be staying put. I'm not saying there was a giant conspiracy to keep the public from a decision that everyone in coaching ranks or all Presidents and BOTs for every major FBS university knew about. But the ones in power were talking behind the scenes; and I bet that bits and pieces could have leaked to engender discussion of possibilities, if not probabilities.

I think until the dust settles on how this whole thing works out, not the format, but especially the revenue sharing for the playoff, conference realignment could be a ways off. Certainly, Notre Dame has more reason to stay put.

The only driver for the B12 is to get to 12 teams for a conference championship, but Oklahoma and Texas don't really want another game from getting them to the Playoff. What am I missing?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  2. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

Re: Will 2 New Bowls to the Majors Dilute the Need for Further Conference Realignment

Hmm...

They're selling the big bowl to the highest bidder. I'm holding out hope that it's someplace with tons of snow and no dome.

So long as the Fiesta doesn't have buy-the-legislator problems again, heh. Then again, eff the Fiesta Bowl. Not only do we usually lose it, but it's forever tainted now that the Pokes have been there. After they had TCU versus Smurf Turf, they can be the mid-major championship game. Lord knows the "BCS conferences" will do everything they can to omit the mid-majors from the four-team playoff, undefeated or not.

If travel were no object, we could invite some of the better teams to the Big 12 today. Think there's any chance train travel will make a comeback?

The numbers don't need to make the conferences "super" (unless you're the SEC and sink so low as to invite Mizzou just to get an even number), the quality does. Even with less teams, we're better than most conferences in many sports.

If they continue to suck, will anyone still want a mediocre Notre Dame? Sure why not, give us another Baylor to beat up (because Baylor will go back to being Baylor now that RG3 is gone)

If more than one team from a conference has a chance to make this four-team playoff, then a conference championship hurts. If it's limited to one-per-conference, then another game helps. It basically comes down to that.

3. alabama sooner

alabama sooner New Member

Re: Will 2 New Bowls to the Majors Dilute the Need for Further Conference Realignment

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/19427810/new-playoff-setup-eliminates-havenots-doesnt-quite-solve-the-problem

CBS Sports Dennis Dodd seems to have hit what I was saying in yesterday's post, BUT WITH A TWIST.

My original post reflects my sudden realization that the addition of 2 major bowls to the current 4 BCS Bowls might actually halt or slow down conference realignment for awhile. All that crazy revenue for the playoff ($5 Billion alone for several years) would get even the little guys in one of the six (6) major bowls, noting that 2 of the 6 would become a semi-final location that would rotate every year.

Dodd argues, like me, in his article that the revenue is the big deal in the upcoming evolution of the 4 Team Playoff. However, he portrays the money as "hush money", simply to give the "have-nots" something to quiet them when 90% of the time, only members of the 4 major conferences (yes, it does NOT include the ACC) get teams into the playoff. Of course, the major conferences are Big 12 (12-2), SEC, PAC10 (10+2), and Big 10 (10+2).

So, if that is the case, then this new tweak will possibly accelerate conference realignment because all historically good teams, like Florida State, want to go to the playoff, NOT be a frequent flyer to his conference's designated landing site (e.g. Orange Bowl, baby, for the ACC). FSU fans will get tired of going every year to Miami, just to see half of the stadium empty while knowing that the semi-finals will have fans standing in their seats and partying outside in the parking lot!

Sorry for Boise, but they now stand a good chance for a routine upgrade to one of the 6 Major Bowls (2 undecided but probably includes Jerry's World). However, they will still be on the outside looking in.

After 5 years of watching the fans pack the semis and the national championship, then those designated landing sites for the minor conferences (e.g. Orange Bowl or whatever but it won't be the Champions Bowl) will lose their relevance and their seats. Those Bowl sponsors will be giving away tickets just like the Orange Bowl does now.

But with the difference that if Dodd is right, and this is "HUSH MONEY", then the Big 12 might really become 12 teams again by landing FSU and someone else (I hope it ISN'T Notre Dame).:bi_polo:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  4. ouflak

ouflak Oh wow! Oh wow! Oh wow!

I have a feeling that expansion on the part of this conference is permanently shelved, and has been for some time. These bowl alliances are not giving me any confidence that the Big XII ever intends to expand.

5. Sooner95

Sooner95 Well-Known Member

I, for one, do not see the Big12 expanding. No reason for it now. A conf title game would hurt more than help at this point. Also with the SEC/Big12 Bowl it would not be needed again.

Big12 has set themselves up pretty good for this Final 4 scenario and I don't know if they'd want to expand to 12 now. Maybe for scheduling but we do a pretty good job year in and year out with that.

win and your in.