1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why we all love Mike Stoops

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by swardboy, Feb 7, 2008.

1. swardboy

swardboy SoonerFans.com Elite Member

One thread is enough.....

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  2. swardboy

Sure he had to apologize...but what cajones to say it!

Stoops sorry for calling Arizona St. 'a J.C.'

Associated Press

TUCSON, Ariz. (AP) - Arizona coach Mike Stoops apologized on Thursday for saying that Arizona State has "turned into a J.C."

"Yesterday in my annual signing day news conference I regretfully made some comments about sister institution Arizona State University," Stoops said in a statement. "These remarks were dutifully reported by the media, and not necessarily taken out of context — which was within some of my heartfelt observations about the recruiting process and what it entails for individuals and college football programs. But it was a personal mistake and one for which I apologize."

Stoops was not available for further comment.

Stoops apologized for a comment made during a football signing day news conference on Wednesday in Tucson. He said some recruits had told him that it was easier to earn acceptance at ASU than at Arizona.

"Each school has to recruit to that school and what type of academic requirements there are," Stoops said then. "Obviously, Arizona State has turned into a J.C. and we are a four-year college. According to all the players, they say it is easier to go to school there, easier to get in. I thought we had the same requirements. It is news to me."

Even with the apology, Stoops' remarks are sure to turn up the intensity in one of the Pac-10's most bitter rivalries. Tensions between the football programs, located 90 miles apart, grew last month when highly touted tailback Ryan Bass of Corona, Calif., backed out of an oral commitment to Arizona and said he would attend ASU. Bass was among the 27 signees announced by the Sun Devils on Wednesday.

Arizona signed only two players from the state — seven fewer than Arizona State. The disparity could be a byproduct of ASU's three-game win streak in the Territorial Cup series. Stoops is 1-3 against Arizona State.

Stoop conceded on Wednesday that the Wildcats' recruiting might improve if they defeat ASU more often.

"I am disappointed we didn't sign more kids from the state of Arizona," Stoops said. "When you don't have the success it hurts you probably the closer you are to home.

"They have beat us three years in a row," he said. "We have to go out and beat them and play better than they do, and hopefully we will have a better year recruiting."

BigRedJed likes this.
  3. SOONER STEAKER

SOONER STEAKER New Member

I miss Mike. We had some great conversations about football at Flips Bar and Grill. I wish Mike the most success in AZ!

4. BigRedJed

BigRedJed Mmm... ...ribs.

No.

Sooner_Havok likes this.
  5. BigRedJed

I predict this thread will outperform the other one.

6. BigRedJed

Wait a minute. I just remembered that this isn't the SO.

7. BigRedJed

Of course, I could always make it outperform the other thread, BY MYSELF.

8. BigRedJed

We are TOTALLY pwning that other thread.

9. BigRedJed

YOU HEAR ME, WEAKASS IMITATION THREAD??!?!

10. Sooner_Bob

Sooner_Bob SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Step away from the computer . . . moderation has made you crazy, but this is the best thread evar.

11. BigRedJed

You got that right. On all points.

12. swardboy

BRJ...the threadmeister!!!!

13. BigRedJed

See? Even YOU like this thread better. PWNAGE!!

14. BigRedJed

All across our fine state and the nation, I hear the collective sound of SF football board posters and lurkers mumbling, "what the **** is this crap?"

15. BigRedJed

Please note that the other thread has but one reply. Suckage.

16. Curly Bill

Curly Bill I'm a shootist

I just want to be able to say that I posted in this, the greatest thread ever.

BigRedJed likes this.
  17. BigRedJed

Another convert!!

18. BigRedJed

As much as I'd like to take credit for the whole thing, you've gotta give it up to swardboy for a great title.

I'm not sure why it didn't work for the other thread, which is stinking it up, however.

19. Big Red Ron

Big Red Ron SoonerFans.com Elite Member

This thread kills the other one.

;)

Civicus_Sooner likes this.
  20. BigRedJed

Whistling past the graveyard, pal. Whistling past the graveyard.

Big Red Ron likes this.