1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who's our best LB?

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by NormanPride, Nov 7, 2011.

1. NormanPride

NormanPride SoonerFans.com Elite Member

In our D, LB play is about as key as it gets. Over the years we have gotten consistent play out of every other position, but LB is very hot and cold. So here's the question: Who is our best LB right now? I'm not talking about for next year or whatever. Right now, who do you put on the field first?

I say Bird.

2. OUNASH

OUNASH New Member

Corey Nelson hands down.

3. NormanPride

I haven't watched him as much as I should, but he's looked good as well. Needs to work on consistency when tackling, but he's a positive.

4. primetime43

primetime43 New Member

I know this...it aint Travis Lewis. I get annoyed with all the trash talking he does. There was a reason he came back for his senior year.

landrun likes this.
  5. delhalew

delhalew SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Travis single handedly gave up a TD against ATM.

6. cleller

cleller SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Couldn't pick. Not a Torrance Marshall, etc in the bunch. Bird sure looks the part, but hasn't had enough time on the field to prove anything. Hopefully, he'll be one of those backups that surprises when he gets his turn.

7. Pricetag

Pricetag SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I loved it when he was up yapping at the A&M guy yesterday after he had just been juked out of his shorts and had given up the first down.

8. SoonerinKC

SoonerinKC New Member

I don't know who the best one is, but I have been pleasantly surprised with Bird. Travis has issues with coverage across the middle.

9. Probably Tony Jefferson

10. lasooner123

lasooner123 New Member

tony jefferson?

11. landrun

landrun Well-Known Member

Yep! Not too long after he gave us one of those shark signals on top of his helmet too.

I couldn't believe it. ... not that he gave up the TD... but that he did the shark thing.

I was wondering the other day, I think the reason he leads us in tackling each year (and broke Boz's record) is because he is tackling all those backs and tight ends who are catching all those passes in his zone each game. :nightmare:

12. NormanPride

Two, actually. They had a TD run late in the game where their RB ran at Travis' lane, and he was too busy letting the pulling guard come five yards out of the hole to chickenfight with him to actually make any kind of move at the ball carrier. If he had attacked the lane like I'm assuming was his responsibility, the runner would have been forced to go outside, where we had unblocked defenders.

When jkm talks about the "little things" that Lewis doesn't do, this is a perfect example of one. Instead of hitting the lane and not making a tackle, he dogs the play and leaves a wide open lane for a TD.

I'm not saying he's always bad. He wouldn't be starting if he was. He's just so dang inconsistent and he's got so much potential that I get frustrated that he's not going 100% on every play.

Also, I don't consider Jefferson as a LB, but if I did he would be the best.

13. Brent Venables does so suck it!

14. meoveryouxinfinity

meoveryouxinfinity New Member

Travis cannot tackle a guy one on one. Go count how many times he's whiffed on a tackle or been dragged by a ball-carrier. It's embarrassing.

15. kbsooner21

kbsooner21 New Member

Tom Wort

16. Landthief 1972

Landthief 1972 New Member

Lewis is a leader on the field, and reads the field before the snap really well, but Wort plays smarter after the snap, and tackles better. From watching Bird for a few games, you can tell that kid just plays with complete, unbridled enthusiasm for the game. He looks like he's completely psyched to be playing for OU, and he plays pretty smart for a young kid learning the system.

17. Neath a Western Sky

Neath a Western Sky New Member

This poster's words echo my thoughts. Byrd has made a pile of tackles each time he's had significant PT, including Texas, Kansas, and A & M, and when he gets hold of a runner, he doesn't get shucked. Against A & M, he reminded me of Box, only stronger. He has that knack of finding the seam to the ball carrier. We were concerned a few weeks ago about his wheels, and some of us suggested his "half-step slows" would evaporate with some experience. His performance against the Aggies evidenced that to me. He stayed with a receiver on a crossing route and broke up the pass. Later, he spotted a receiver out in the flat that Tannehill hit on a crucial 3rd and 2 in the 4th quarter and nailed him for no gain. I'd like to see Byrd at MLB, Wort at WLB, and Nelson in there too in various capacities as they have done in some games. That's the future--and the present--in my opinion.

18. delhalew

delhalew SoonerFans.com Elite Member

That's bad, but not as embarrassing as leaving receivers completely unattended. Shark my ***.

19. CBUS_SOONER

CBUS_SOONER New Member

tough one. I think they are very average

20. cccasooner2

cccasooner2 New Member

I think Stoops threw Javon under the bus on the play you guys are talking about. Yeah, but what the hell does that guy know?