1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When do we crack the top 25?

Discussion in 'Sooner Basketball' started by shytnik, Jan 11, 2014.

1. shytnik

shytnik New Member

So realizing that we just lost to #18 Kansas this week, we just pulled the upset of #9 ISU. OU entered the week at #35 in the AP and #30 in the Coaches polls and #21 in the RPI which figures to continue climbing. We played MSU tough and had a shot to actually win that game. KU was not a blow out and they are returning to where people thought they would be this year, probably end up a top 10 team. In the end the loss to 13-3 LT may not turn out to be a bad one either. If we take down KSU (who looks to be on the road to losing #25 rank) do we get there, or will it take also upsetting #7 Baylor? What do you guys think, do we crack the top 25 this week or does it take a few more quality wins?

2. SoonerorLater

SoonerorLater Well-Known Member

I doubt we get in this week. The way our schedule works out we may never crack the top 25 and still get a decent seed in the NCAA. Our best chance for a mini run is the last three games in conference.

3. King Crimson

King Crimson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

rankings don't mean much in college hoops. get that rpi under about 30 and we are good.

very good win today and plus one on the road in austin is a good one too.

hornbeak healthy and we might have a chance to be pretty good.

4. SoonerMarkVA

SoonerMarkVA New Member

If we'd beaten KU, yes for next poll. As it stands, it's going to take some more winning. We'll have plenty of chances to prove our mettle with our conference.

5. Soonerjeepman

Soonerjeepman SoonerFans.com Elite Member

agree....not this week. I think we actually might match up well with ksu...they don't have a lot of height, like us. Too bad they got hammered...they'll be hungry....Like someone said we may never....I'm thinking 11-7 conf....22-9 overall.

6. Eielson

Eielson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I'm actually leaning towards us cracking the top 25 this week. It's far from a sure thing, but I think it's doable in at least one of the polls. KSU got into the top 25 last week with 3 losses based off of a big win against OSU. I think we'll do the same this week. I doubt voters will let the KU loss deter them. I expect that they'll primarily look at the overall record and conference record. A 2-1 start in the Big XII speaks kindly for us.

7. Sooner95

Sooner95 Well-Known Member

After this win today, I like our chances as well. If we do not, it'll be by just a few votes.

8. shytnik

shytnik New Member

I'm still torn, but I think with a few losses above us we might just crack the top 25. I know it doesn't matter as much as the RPI, but it can't hurt either.

9. CowboyMRW

CowboyMRW Wrestling is OSU

KSU beating OSU definitely helped them crack into, but they were also on an 8 game win streak and beat Gonzaga in that stretch also.

Great win for OU today though. Congrats

10. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

Last time I predicted us breaking through, we didn't...then we lost to LaTech.

So, I'm not going to make any predictions. I do agree with King Crimson though, the RPI is what really matters, and we were at 21 (we'll see where that goes after this last week).

Iowa State was getting a lot of hype prior to this game (which I think they deserved), so that could help too.

11. King Crimson

King Crimson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

being in the top 25 gets you on TV and ESPN....high lights and such.

that had to be good for recruiting.

getting the OU name out there since the Blake "era".

as a year to year fan since Al Beal, the rankings mean much less than the NCAA tournament criteria. so, i'm kinda talking out both sides of my mouth...

12. Eielson

I don't think any of that would have mattered if OSU was ranked something like #22, though. I don't know how voters think, but I've always felt like big wins put you in the voters' minds, and then they take a closer look at your team to decide if you're worthy of the top 25. For KSU, despite a couple bad early losses, I'm sure the 8 game winning streak that included wins against Gonzaga and OSU played a role in getting them ranked. For OU, I think many voters will see that 2 of our 3 losses were competitive games against MSU and KU, and that we have the second best record in a loaded conference. Just a guess, though.

I think that our numbers by themselves should place us in the bottom of the top 25 (record, conference record, SOS, etc.) Unless we really botch things up (like we did against LT), our Big Monday game against OSU should be a top 25 showdown. I think we split again this week, and then win both the following week (16-4, 5-2). If we don't get into the top 25 by then, our only realistic shot would be at the end of the regular season.

13. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

We cracked it today, b!tches!

Link

Boomer Sooner, Boomer Sooner, Boomer Sooner, Boomer Sooner, Boomer Sooner, Boomer Sooner, Boomer Sooner... OKU! :D

14. SoonerorLater

SoonerorLater Well-Known Member

I'm surprised but pleasantly surprised. RPI looks good too.

15. Boomer.....

Boomer..... .....Sooner!

Still 29th in the Coaches poll, but I'll take it!

It's more than likely going to be short lived with road trips to Manhattan and Waco this week.

16. SoonerMarkVA

SoonerMarkVA New Member

Nice! Very surprised. Hope we aren't 1-week wonders.

17. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

See what happens when I DON'T predict a top 25 appearance (and Eielson does)?!

AP Rank: 25
    Coaches Rank: 29
    RPI: 15

18. Eielson

If one person had rated us one spot lower, we wouldn't have cracked the top 25. I'm going to ignore that and pretend like I'm a genius, though.

19. Soonerjeepman

Soonerjeepman SoonerFans.com Elite Member

well that was short lived...less than 2 days. Ah well...hopefully we can return the favor in a few weeks

20. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

no, we get to stay an entire week, which means that any games the rest of the week could potentially make voters forget that we lost last night, heh. Basketball > Football in this regard