1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's more important - Soul Salvation or Soul Development?

Discussion in 'South Oval' started by Shakadoodoo, Jan 25, 2011.

1. OhU1

OhU1 New Member

I suggest we start by sifting through reality rather than starting with the nonsense and jumping to metaphysical explanations. The history of mankind shows we DO jump to accept "nonsense" to fill the void and have an answer.

By all means we should strive to "figure it all out." In my opinion science and skeptical inquiry is the better method of seeking out what is true. However science is lacking of easy and absolute answers and most people do not find psychological comfort and satisfaction in this. The above being said, philosophical discussion can be fun if nothing else.

2. jdsooner

jdsooner New Member

I think the salvation of the soul (person) and the development of the soul (person) go together. They cannot be separated.

saucysoonergal and soonerhubs like this.
  3. Shakadoodoo

Shakadoodoo New Member

I agree. I have a very scientific mind -

But using science to describe spirituality is just as much "nonsense" as anything else. Reality??? What the hell is that? The last thing I read stated that reality can be changed by observing it. Huh???? Without observation - 0 and 1 can be the same - but once something observes it, they act different.... What????? Seems like you are a very smart individual - explain that to me.... - Einstein asked before he died - if we never looked at the moon - does it exist..... That sounds like nonsense as well!

4. Leroy Lizard

Leroy Lizard SoonerFans.com Elite Member

They're talking in terms of quantum theory. In quantum theory, matter has a statistical distribution in terms of its position and motion (actually, momentum). Once you observe matter, you define its possible position so that its location is no longer statistically distributed about a point -- it's located at the point. But this affects the statistical distribution of its momentum as well through the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle.

IOW, there is no way to observe matter without affecting where it can be and how fast it can be going.

Unfortunately, people try to apply these principles to things they shouldn't.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  5. AlbqSooner

AlbqSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

My experience as a Christian is the only basis I can have for this answer.

Through AA, which I believe I was led to by God putting people in my life who finally let me see what a raging out of control drunk I was, I began a journey of spiritual development. Soul development, if you will. AA is not a religious program, but a program of spiritual development.

When I first went to AA I heard people talk about God and I did not want to hear it. I was never intellectual enough to be an atheist and I was really not an agnostic because, from my teachings as a youth, I believed that there is a God. For me personally it was of no matter because I figured that the way I had been living for many years of alcoholic drinking and thinking, if God was looking for me it was simply to fry my sorry arse.

Slowly, AA allowed me to develop a sense of spirituality and to no longer cringe at the mention of God. When I reached the point where God felt I was ready, he put someone in my life who encouraged me to return to Church and to accept Christ as my soul salvation.

I came to that point and accepted Christ as my savior and my Lord. According to the Bible, at that moment, I attained soul salvation. However, having come to know and accept God, I began to thirst for more knowledge of what being a Christian meant. I read more, listened more, prayed more, shared my experience with others more, and continue to do so.

Hence, it is my experience that only through soul development was I able to attain soul salvation. It is further my experience that having attained soul salvation I became more focused on attaining further soul development.

This does not answer the question of which is more important, but it should give you a few synaptic firings to assist you in attempting to write a paper describing the color red to a person blind from birth.

FirstandGoal, AlboSooner and Blue like this.
  6. Leroy Lizard

FIFY

7. Shakadoodoo

Shakadoodoo New Member

Thats good stuff right there! That inspires me!

8. A Sooner in Texas

A Sooner in Texas New Member

I think salvation in and of itself - with the sole (hahaha) intention of going to heaven - is pretty simple, but is that even going to get you into heaven (if you believe in it)? You can say you accept Christ and even be baptized, but all that is just show if you don't follow through with the actions and words of someone truly trying to emulate Christ.
    Soul salvation to me is rather empty without soul development. In fact, I don't know how you really can have the first without the second. Kinda like what AlbQSooner was saying.

9. Blue

Blue SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Most Christians believe once you accept Christ and receive the Holy Spirit, you really have no say in it. You will be sanctified over time by the Spirit.

It's been true in my life and I have a long ways to go.

Edit: But doing Gods will is a fruit of the spirit.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  10. Shakadoodoo

Shakadoodoo New Member

You are very smart - but I knew that - sometimes it is hard to read through the sarcasm without getting emotional. Tell me more - I could understand the way you explained that - I'm still lost but I'm thirsty for more. I have an insatiable lust for knowledge! I messed around and googeled more info and ran across "Zero: The Biography of a Dangerous Idea" by Charles Seife - wow - damn internet - to much information to digest - I'm going to pick that book up tomorrow!!!!

11. FirstandGoal

FirstandGoal New Member

^^^^^^^^^^ times infinity

When this thread was first posted, I had no time for a deep response as I was running late for work, but oddly enough I found myself thinking of this on my drive back home tonight and came up with some thoughts.

There are about as many paths to Christ as there are followers. Each of us has our own story, our own unique set of circumstances and our own bumpy roads that led us to the same point on the map. The reason I like to think of salvation in reference to a point on the map is because it is a convergence where everyone from any starting point can end up in the same point. However, this point is not necessarily the end of the journey.... its more of a place on a map where all points converge and then spread back out again as we live our lives.
    I like to think of the salvation point as the starting place, and then developing as a process. That's not to say that developing my soul didn't start from the time I was born though. Even though I was not always saved, I was still developing and turning into the person who eventually found salvation. Now that person continues to learn and develop and will do so until the day she dies. The thought that I am the best I can possibly be at this point in time is quite frankly a depressing thought because I know I can do better than this.

12. Leroy Lizard

Well, then you're ready for Lesson 2: Feynman path integrals. :D

In reality, you have to study advanced physics thoroughly to understand such stuff. Relatively speaking, I'm an amateur at it.

13. SoonerStud615

SoonerStud615 New Member

(I'm operating in the parameters of Christianity)
    Salvation is a process, through which soul developing occurs. The most common way of describing it is with three terms: Justification, Sanctification and Glorification.

Justification is the moment you are converted.
    Sanctification is the process by which one exhibits the fruits of the spirit and becomes more Christ-like, through the work of the Holy Spirit.
    Glorification is the ultimate perfecting on man in all ways at the time of Jesus' return.

Thus, Sanctification, which is generally the same as soul developing, occurs after conversion until the point of death in the life of a believer.

Blue likes this.
  14. AlbqSooner

AlbqSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I think this is what the Bible is saying when it talks in terms of 'faith without works'.

15. Ike

Ike party pooper

If you actually want to know more about quantum mechanics, go check out this book:

http://dogphysics.com/book_info.html
    [​IMG]

seriously. It's a good read for the quantum illiterate.

16. Aldebaran

Aldebaran New Member

I'm pretty sure that's the Keebler Elves.

17. soonerbrat

soonerbrat Not Exactly Right

it's the bottom of your foot.

18. JohnnyMack

JohnnyMack SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Really? There's something you don't know everything about? Who knew?