1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What happens if . . .

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by Jacie, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Jacie

Jacie SoonerFans.com Elite Member

. . . tOSU wins?

Two things for sure, no Heisman for Baker and no CFP for OUr team.

I don't think there will be a lot of surprise among Sooner fans with this result since we all remember what happened last year.

And like last year, except for the CFP, Oklahoma can still win the conference and go to a New Year's Day bowl.

. . . if OU wins?

Certainly, we all want to win this one but how many, prior to the start of the season, actually believed OU had a snowball's chance in Hell? After watching a second tier B1G team amass over 400 yards through the air against Urban's secondary, many of us are thinking the combination of Mayfield/Murray is capable of derailing a team already penciled in as bama's opponent for the National Championship game. If Riley can do it, dial up a win in the hostile confines of The Shoe, the conversation gets a whole lot more interesting (which IMO, will be good for all of college football), Mayfield becomes the odds on favorite for said Heisman, football analysts add Oklahoma to their list of 4 playoff teams (replacing Florida State which dropped out after that loss to bama), who will also point out that the Buckeyes chances are not diminished in any way since they can still advance by winning their conference or do so even without winning the B1G.

Imagine the reaction of Sooner Nation if OUr first year coach wins this one! The prospect that he could lead the team to the National Championship game will be the storyline of the season. Remember how excited even non-Sooners were over OU during the 2000 season? My hopes are sky high, I think OU could do it.

Go Sooners!

2. mjhurani

mjhurani Member

i think it's way too early to determine what could happen if we Lose. how many games did Lamar Jackson lose last year but he still won the Heisman?
    how many teams the last 3 yrs of the CFP have made the four team field with at least 1 loss?

if we lose but it is competitive, then we can still make the CFP as long we win the B12 reg season and CCG

if you must lose in CFB, lose early. this has been clear for a century

3. Jacie

Some of my prediction was spot on, Mayfield's Heisman stock is up and everyone is talking about OU over tOSU.

Next up for the Sooners, the Tulane Green Wave while the Buckeyes take on unbeaten Army.

Interestingly enough the following weekend, Army will play Tulane so we will have an opportunity to see how OUr opponent fares versus theirs.

4. severs64

severs64 New Member

I don't know if anyone would have predicted that OU would not only win, but dominate on both sides of the ball. Despite losing Perine, Mixon and Westbrook, we look better on O than last year. Never would have thought that. And the defense? I'm sure part of it is going back to the 4-3, but the way we tackled and limited YAC was something we haven't seen in a long time. It was a refreshing change, that I hope we can sustain as we move to seeing Big 12 offenses.

Do you think Mayfield's Heisman hopes will be affected by him planting the flag at midfield at the end of the game? I hated to see that. After all, a big part of his apology for the incident in Arkansas was how bad he felt for embarrassing the university, and here now he's gone and done it again.

5. echo101

echo101 Member

What surprises me is that so many people are talking like bama fans and have already decided they are going to win it all.. Who says they won't get knocked off along the way? They aren't as invincible as so many want to believe.

6. Jacie

Some of us consider planting the flag a statement, not an embarrassment.

7. echo101

echo101 Member

I agree Jacie.. I enjoyed every second of it. Baker tried to make it out as a personal thing rather than involve the team or school but as a fan of college football for a few decades now I was loving it! Not saying tOsux has bad or arrogant fans but some of their posters are. They had that swag to them, they had no problem telling us who won last year's game so now it was our opportunity to stick it right back in them. Two can play that game.