1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do we have to lose, give Thompson a chance at QB...

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by Soonerus, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Soonerus

Soonerus SoonerFans.com Elite Member

We know Bell and Knight are not the answer...

2. MyT Oklahoma

MyT Oklahoma New Member

Bell had an off day and is still learning.

TK has had off days too and is still learning.

But Bob should have made a change at QB in the second quarter when it was clear Bell was having an off day and for that I blame Bob.

85Sooner likes this.
  3. Soonerus

You are being very generous saying Bell had an "off game"...but I am not going to criticize him I would just like to see Thompson play some now...

4. SoonerMarkVA

SoonerMarkVA New Member

That's a pretty big fire to throw a guy into (assuming you wanted Thompson to come in in the 2nd). Maybe he would have done the job and been a hero, but I think odds are against it. I would, though, like to know why Ford and Rip ever came out of the game unless they were gassed. I freakin' loved that series with the steady dose of Millard and Ford for our first TD.

5. Okie35

Okie35 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Me too also when we ran outside it was working. This playcalling reminded me of the same playcalling against Kstate last year. Why do we do this?!

6. David Earl

David Earl Administrator

I've heard that Thompson is a shifty runner, but not as good overall in practice as Bell and Knight. I have no idea if that's true or not.

Giving Knight a shot today seemed reasonable, but right or wrong, Stoops doesn't make that kind of substitution very often.

7. Soonerjeepman

Soonerjeepman SoonerFans.com Elite Member

at some point we needed to give TK or Thompson a shot.

8. Okie35

Okie35 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Ford only 7 carries and he was averaging 5.7 yards
    Millard like 4.3 off 6 carries I think

Ummm... :grumpy:

Remember when we never got away from what was working... Adrian Peterson having 28 carries will probably be the most ever in the Stoops Era :(

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  9. Soonerus

I just do not believe this offense has much upside with Bell at QB, for all I know he is the best we have...

10. SOONER44EVER

SOONER44EVER SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Bob's ego won't let him admit to all the Sooner fans that was was wrong not once, but twice, about who the starting QB should be.

11. Piware

Piware Well-Known Member

Completely agree that the play calling and QB play was the worse I have seen in a long time but what the heck happened to the defense. Safeties sure seemed to be having to make a lot of plays and we couldn't stop a conga line at a nursing home.

12. Soonerus

D played pretty well in the second half...even scored...

13. cburgsooner

cburgsooner New Member

I am still waiting on the guys in here that was saying Bell was the best thing since sliced bread to come
    and tell us how well he played, showed all the leadership and sparked the team

14. SoonerMarkVA

SoonerMarkVA New Member

I'd say D played pretty well in the 3rd Q. They seemed to let most of the air out after that effin' punt return TD. It looked like Gray was pushing the pillsbury dough boy up the middle most of the day.

15. SOONER44EVER

SOONER44EVER SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Remember when they wanted Bell instead of Landry? LOL

16. bluedogok

bluedogok SoonerFans.com Elite Member

When you lose your best DL and LB before the game and then lose the best corner during the game, it hurts. The offense having a ton of 3 and outs hurts the defense. It seems that really no one has depth of quality defensive players except for Bama. I thought the defense improved during the second half until they just got work out because the OU offense couldn't stay on the field.

17. Rogue

Rogue Answers - 25 Cents

I'm still on Team Knight. I think he's our future. BB just doesn't have an arm and isn't very speedy.

18. Curly Bill

Curly Bill I'm a shootist

Have you seen something to indicate that TK has one?

He definitely is a shiftier runner than Bell, but he's shown so far to be an even worse thrower, and after watching Bell today that's saying a lot!

19. Curly Bill

Curly Bill I'm a shootist

I'm gonna be on team Cody Thomas!

20. Rogue

Rogue Answers - 25 Cents

Yeah, I've seen some practice clips where he nails some good throws. In fairness, Bell's best passes >15 yards have been dropped. All 2 of them. TK isn't just shiftier, he's fast. Bell is not. By the time BB takes his first step, TK is 10 yards downfield.

BB seems to be money on the timing throws where there isn't any decision making. Snap, step, and lob it into the corner of the end zone....he really seems to do that well. By the 2nd quarter I cringed every time he wound up. I really have more confidence in TK.

I admire BB's contributions, and especially the classy way he apparently handled not getting to start the season.