1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What did Imus say?

Discussion in 'The Catacombs' started by achiro, Apr 9, 2007.

1. tommieharris91

tommieharris91 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Apparently all of the student-athletes are skipping class.

2. RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Pretty much what it's all about...that, and Imus is a(no offense to our board member) JERK!

3. OklahomaTuba

OklahomaTuba SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I wonder if these same people outraged at Imus get mad when they listen to Rap?

Oh wait...

4. Mjcpr

Mjcpr SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Where's all the white women at?

5. FaninAma

FaninAma SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Hey Imus, just a little FYI. It's perfectly OK to insult any person who appears white including Jesus or whoever is sitting in the Oval Office. But never, ever, ever insult a person of color....unles you yourself are a person of color.

And if you are a person of color then feel free to insult anybody you damn well want to insult because, after all, you're oppressed and insulting people is just your way of speaking out against your oppression.

OUDoc likes this.
  6. jk the sooner fan

jk the sooner fan loved by all

god i hate it when fan and i agree on stuff.....

7. BlondeSoonerGirl

BlondeSoonerGirl Hillbilly Queen

There's a show on The Sundance Channel called 'Iconoclasts'. They take two famous people (artists, actors, musicians, etc.) and one 'covers' the other. They follow them around for a day and interview them...ask them their own questions from their own mind...and these two people are intentionally very opposite as to make it more interesting.

One had Dave Chappell covering Maya Angelou. It...was...awesome. A few weeks ago it came on and I was stuck on the couch in the same position until it was over.

Dave talked about how the N-word is used nowadays. He said that it's meaning has changed because it's come full-circle. What used to be a word used for degradation is now cool. It's cool now to be an N-word. Even for white kids. He was basically justifying them using it all the time to each other and it being okay.

So she looks at him and he goes 'you're about to tear me up, aren't you?...I'm very afraid of you right now'...

And she says...very calmly...and gently:

'If I have a brown bottle...with a skull and crossbones on it...I know that the contents are poison...they will kill me...and if I pour the contents into a beautiful crystal goblet...the contents...will still kill me...'.

I just thought that was awesome.

Carry on.

8. Howzit

Howzit Junice Groupie

Did she comment on the use of 'nappy-headed ho?'

crawfish likes this.
  9. Octavian

Octavian SoonerFans.com Elite Member

meh...you can bash anyone in virtually any way you want as long as you're not being a dbag about it

Part of the problem in this case is the forum in which the comments were made. It was a sports radio show where it seemed the host went out his way to meander away from the relevant subject matter and use racial and sexist slurs to describe student athletes.

It wasn't on a late night comedy show with Leno, Letterman, or Conan. It wasn't on HBO with Bill Maher. There are 4 white guys that don't shy away from making jokes about issues involving people who are black/white/fat/skinny/rich/poor/straight/gay or whatever else.

But they do it in a funny and intelligent way and they know their audience and forum. They don't just wake up on a Wednesday morning sports talk show and start hurling venomous remarks about kids they've never met and who haven't done anything to warrant criticism besides losing in a basketball game.

10. Hatfield

Hatfield SoonerFans.com Elite Member

she was actually the first person to speak at the press conf.

11. FaninAma

FaninAma SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Replace the Rutgers team with an all white team and we would have heard nary a peep from anybody regarding Imus' statement. It is disingenous to imply that there is any other reason Imus' stupidity is getting so much criticism other than he criticized the wrong color of players.

There is an entire segment of society and an entire cottage industry whose sole purpose is to look for and act offended at any action or statement that they deem offensive.

Al Sharpton is a charlatan of the worst order. After the Tawana Brawley disgrace he should have no right to ever criticize anybody in public again.

12. mdklatt

mdklatt SoonerFans.com Elite Member

If it was an all-white team he wouldn't have said it in the first place. And that is the point. You don't think anybody would have said anything if he'd called an all-white team "a bunch of white trash"? Horse****. All the usual suspects would be braying, "If he'd said that about a black team he'd have been fired already!"

He said something stupid, his empolyer didn't like it, he's paying a price. What's the big deal? Or does the old bromide "'free speech' doesn't mean it's free from consquences" only apply to the Dixie Chicks?

13. Octavian

Octavian SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Replace Imus with a black commentator who called an all-white college girls team a "bunch of stringy haired whores" and I bet you'd get some raised eye brows. I bet he'd even get suspended for a couple weeks.

He didn't "criticize" them as basketball players. He attacked their person by calling all of them sluts (while not knowing any of them). He also referenced an age-old insult to blacks by disparaging the texture of their hair. Imus isn't stupid...he should have known better.

I don't disagree with that....but that fence swings both ways. American society can be a pretty touchy and reactionary group. But this is isn't one of those cases.

The guy went out of his way to attack a group of young girls on a sexual and racial basis....when the conversation was about basketball.

Should he be fired? That's up to his employer. I still think that people would be better served by exercising their power as consumers instead of demanding his censure. He has the right to say whatever he wants...people have the right to change the channel. But unfortunately that's not the way it works and Imus isn't stupid. He should've known better and he shouldn't be surprised by the response.

14. C&CDean

C&CDean Administrator

If the team was full of pasty-white trailer-trash looking skanks with bleached hair and black roots, Cruella Deville make-up, all smoking Lucky Strikes and looking every bit the stereotype of white trash I'd have no problem with him saying it.

It just so happens that the Rutgers team has a bunch of thug-looking black chicks. If you don't wanna be called a nappy-headed ho, don't go around looking/acting like one. Pretty simple concept I'm thinking.

15. SoonerStormchaser

SoonerStormchaser Emma's Daddy!

I'm so effing sick of all these Imus "victims"

This probably isn't gonna make me popular here, but here goes.

STFU!

The original "nappy headed ho's" held their press conference this morning and called for everything against Imus except reparations for slavery! So this guy called you guys a term that you all probably use on each other on a DAILY BASIS! Oh no, your self-esteems are shattered! You'll probably never walk again!

STFU!

Then we have the hotheads Jesse "Hymie Town" Jackson and the "Reverend" Al Sharpton. Someone remind me just what he's the frickin reverend of? Every time there's something regarding ANYTHING between a black person and a white person, they're there pulling out the gawdamn "racist" card. Hey guys...THE CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENT IS OVER!!! Just like there are some redneck morons down south who are still fighting the Civil War, there are still gonna be a few holdouts in the racism issue. So why the f**k are you treating all whites like we are closet KKK members every time you think a black man is persecuted? Your own people use the n-word 100 times more than whites do...why aren't you bringing that to light? Oh wait...it's cause you need an issue to yell and scream about. Hey guys, here's a thought...if the jail populations are 80% black because the city population is 80% black...it's not racism...IT'S DEMOGRAPHICS!

**** OFF DIP****!

Imus is a moron for saying what he said...but guess what? He has every right to say it. We have the first amendment for a reason. Fired? No! Suspended? No! Should he have apoligized and let it be? Yes!

But so long as we have those two morons who are doing a HUGE disservice to their own people...this kind of crap will continue.

...and that ****es me off!

16. Fugue

Fugue SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Re: I'm so effing sick of all these Imus "victims"

I'm still a little unclear on your position. :texan:

SoonerGirl06 and Flagstaffsooner like this.
  17. SicEmBaylor

SicEmBaylor Baylor Ambassador

I fully agree. We have a culture though that breeds victims. If I were in the position of these girls I'd probably have thought, "heh waht an asshole" and gone on with my life.

18. mdklatt

mdklatt SoonerFans.com Elite Member

So, I can say anything I want, and if my boss tries to discipline me I can claim First Amendment protection?

19. bri

bri America's Sweetheart

Ah, white male rage at its finest. :D

sas likes this.
  20. royalfan5

royalfan5 Superbia in Proelio

But if a chick would have said it about you, you would have done whatever she wanted and went to dinner with her and the guy who gets to **** her?

proud gonzo and Rhino like this.