1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Well dang it, I'll say it

Discussion in 'Sooner Basketball' started by BigTip, Mar 26, 2016.

1. nighttrain12

nighttrain12 Well-Known Member

I don't understand how we could be 2 1/2 point underdogs to Nova. Especially after they were also favored by 5 last December and then we went Tora! Tora! Tora! on them in Pearl Harbor and won by 23!

2. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I looked up how OU did in 2nd games this season since we played all the conference teams twice. In 7 or the 9 games, OU did worse the 2nd time around in terms of score. Either they won by fewer points or lost the second game. In the KU series, they lost both but I counted the first loss in 3OT worse than a regulation loss. In the other 2 games, they increased the margin of victory against OSU and WVU, but lost a 3rd game against WVU in the B12 tournament. Of course, conference games are different because the other team knows they will see you again and will put time into adjustments. Nova (and OU) would leave that OOC game last Dec. and not think much about it again as the odds are very low of a rematch.

I'm not saying Nova should be favored, but I certainly don't expect the blowout OU win like last time.

3. Boomer.....

Boomer..... .....Sooner!

It's a beautiful thing!

2 more games!

4. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

Much like the 2002 year, OU looked like a pretty good team in preseason, but didn't look a Final Four team until conference play.

What might give 2016 the edge over 2002 is the No. 1 ranking in January. If our January version shows up, national title. If our February version shows up... well, at least we had our January version up till the Final Four :p

5. hawaii 5-0

hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Watching 'Nova play in Hawaii I thought they were way overrated.

Watching them play this weekend I don't think that. They're a different, better team.

Right now, so is OU.

5-0

6. Rock Hard Corn Frog

Rock Hard Corn Frog New Member

I buy in at least some to the opinion that the team was worn down a little due to depth in February. They looked like anything but a tired team last weekend so I think the team is going to look much more like the January version.

That game with Nova in Hawaii it looked like the gym was about 100 degrees and Nova didn't handle it as well as OU. I fully expect Nova to give us all that we can handle this time around. That said, I think we are a tough match-up for them and we beat them again.

7. aurorasooner

aurorasooner Well-Known Member

Don't know if we were worn down in Feb or the other Big 12 teams just figured out how to play us by smothering Buddy. In the last 2 games we looked really really good at the beginnings of these games by passing over the top for stuffs to KL and RS. Then when the opponents seemed to slack off our guards a little, they made the outside shots. After reading some quotes from the opposing teams/coaches last week, they didn't know whether to *&^# or go blind. Our bigs need to bring it tough this WE/Monday and then they can rest next week. Playing last Sat and having a full week off before the next game surely will help.

Thinking that if our guards hit the outside shots from the beginning of the next 2 games to bring the defenders out, our bigs bring it with tough rebounding on both ends like they did in the last 2 (and don't miss bunnies), we'll win them or be in them with a chance at the buzzer. The next games are going to be tough especially NC (if they win) if we get by Nova.

Teams like OU don't get in this position very often. Hopefully LK/Staff will be able to adjust the game-plan on the fly, if things/game-plan aren't going well (better than the FB staff lately) and we'll get some revenge for that KU/Manning fiasco in the finals. BTW, I would've liked to get some revenge on KU this year, but I'm not shedding any tears that they're out of it either. Knowing KU is watching us win it all, will be enough for me.
    Just reaching the BB Final 4 is quite an achievement. But winning it all would put this team/individual players in the history books forever.
    Also, don't understand the point spread favoring Nova. But, I would think that after just destroying them in Hawaii, that would really pizz-off our BB players.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  8. BigTip

BigTip Well-Known Member

We just need the last two games team to show up. If that same make-everything-they-throw-up-working-it-like-they-did team shows up we'll be hanging a banner.

9. AaronCrelp

AaronCrelp Member

10. Michaeltug

Michaeltug Member

11. AaronCrelp

AaronCrelp Member

12. AaronCrelp

AaronCrelp Member

13. Michaeltug

Michaeltug Member

14. AaronCrelp

AaronCrelp Member