1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We haven't given up 300 passing in a game yet

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by NormanPride, Oct 19, 2011.

1. NormanPride

NormanPride SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Not bad!

Kinne (Tulsa) - 271
    Manuel (FSU) - 85
    Trickett (FSU) - 134
    Franklin (Mizzou) - 291
    Wenning (Ball St.) - 84
    Page (Ball St.) - 11
    Ash (fexas) - 107
    McCoy (fexas) - 116
    Webb (Kansas) - 108

Tech averages 372 a game, which is right behind us at 373. Can we keep them below 300? If we do, I bet we win handily. Nevada is the only team to have done it, holding Doege to 222.

Holy crap, looking at it, we average about 100 yards per passer, other than a couple outliers... Wow.

2. thecrimsoncrusader

thecrimsoncrusader New Member

And Franklin's passing yards were largely a product of his mobility that the Sooners only have to deal with one more time in RG3. Any of the remaining QBs on the schedule like Tannehill as an example have good straight line speed, but aren't concerns from a mobility standpoint in the pocket.

3. Mad Dog Madsen

Mad Dog Madsen New Member

Alabama/LSU thread in 3... 2... :beaten:

4. NormanPride

This isn't about other teams. This is about our ability to get effective pressure and for the secondary to perform at a high level consistently. We play a ton of teams with great passing games, and we're just now getting to the meat of the offensive schedule. The D performed very well against two top-30 offenses in Mizzou (shut down after the first 10 minutes) and FSU. We play a top 10 offense on Saturday and it will be our first real test.

5. pphilfran

pphilfran SoonerFans.com Elite Member

The Sooners have done a great job using smoke and mirrors to get the maximum out of the d line...

We don't have a stud tackle so BV has used up to 4 ends at a time to get pressure...lots of different looks and a bunch of players that can be used interchangeably....

The amount of pressure we have generated greatly exceeds what I expected coming into the season...

A whole bunch of people were complaining about moving RL to DE...a great move by the coaching staff...

6. NormanPride

Agreed. And we don't have a stud at DT, but we have a bunch of guys that are good. Walker is on the verge of becoming a serious threat at DT as well.

7. Mad Dog Madsen

Mad Dog Madsen New Member

I'm still holdin out for J-Mac. He's had problems with injuries but I think he's really starting to come along.

8. Breadburner

Breadburner Well-Known Member

I think we have a couple of studs on the D-line.........

9. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I suspect the streak will end Saturday, but as KSU demonstrated, TT can be forced into costly errors. Shark time?

10. The Maestro

The Maestro SoonerFans.com Elite Member

If we are up 28 or more at half, he may end up with over 300 due to seeing a lot of reserves late and TT will never take their foot off the gas. Would love to see it happen, though. That is why I differentiate this team from some others...I believe in this defense.

11. AlboSooner

AlboSooner New Member

fire mike stoops

XingTheRubicon likes this.
  12. Landthief 1972

Landthief 1972 New Member

Is TT still running a spread with a seemingly 10-yard gap between tackles, or did they tighten up the line? If they play with big gaps, I wonder if Venerables is considering playing the 4 DE formation a lot to shoot the gaps faster and more frequently.

13. SoonerNomad

SoonerNomad New Member

How experienced is Tech's offensive line? OU will be sending people from all angles on Saturday and their line's ability to handle the different blitzes will be the key to how successful their offense will be.

14. TMcGee86

TMcGee86 Well-Known Member

cause we sharks!

15. primetime43

primetime43 New Member

Whats up with J-Mac and Mcgee? Are they ever going to live up to the hype?

16. For the most part, it's the same offense will a few formations that run a little tighter..

In the past, BV has gone with the 3 down lineman look..we'll see