1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walmart protests

Discussion in 'TrumpFest 2016' started by kevpks, Nov 24, 2012.

1. kevpks

kevpks New Member

I know how most of the posters on the right feel about the Walmart protests, but what are your thoughts on the argument that the government is subsidizing Walmart. If Walmart keeps its wages (and more importantly hours) low for its employees and those employees qualify for food and housing assistance from the government, is Walmart in effect wasting our tax dollars to increase their profits? These aren't moochers we're talking about but working Americans. Granted many of them probably should have studied harder in school or worked to get more marketable skills. I agree that individuals are responsible for making a better life for themselves. However, these people are working. Many would love to be full time. Are there solutions to this problem? Is it a problem?

http://money.cnn.com/2012/11/23/news/companies/walmart-protests/

2. LiveLaughLove

LiveLaughLove New Member

So our current administration makes rules that punish a company (drive up expenses) for having full time employees. The company responds by saying ok, not very many full time employees then. And somehow that is the government subsidizing the company? Completely liberal logic.

You phrased it completely as if WalMart is simply gifted it's profits by the kindness of the government. The government giveth, the government taketh away.

I see WalMart as a company that can decide how it wants to operate within the confines of governmental interferences. People can then decide if they choose to work for them under those conditions. WalMart isn't being "subsidized". Our government chose to "subsidize" these people when it created this monstrosity. And we as a people said "cool".

WalMart has two ways it can go. 1. Keep their prices for goods as low as possible, which means curbing costs. or 2. Raise prices on the goods and keep the employees at full time and pay the extra costs through price increases.

WalMart and no other smart company is just going to take additional losses in the shorts just because Obama wants these mandates.

I read somewhere that the average family saves a little over $2000/ year because of the existence of WalMart. And that's even if they don't step foot in one. WalMart forces other companies to keep their prices lower also. If you actually use WalMart you save closer to $3000/year.

If they raise their prices, those families will be forced to pay more also. None of this happens in a vacuum.

That's my right wing take on it.

3. kevpks

kevpks New Member

Walmart was doing this long before Obama. It's not a response to any of his policies.

Walmart is just the most prominent example but I would think that if someone making minimum wage can qualify for food stamps, it's time to raise minimum wage. Why should taxpayers foot the bill for a company's workforce?

4. LiveLaughLove

LiveLaughLove New Member

Yes I agree, what should minimum wage be? What amount would be fair and reasonable?

I've been wanting to have this discussion for a while now.

5. SoonerorLater

SoonerorLater Well-Known Member

Wal-Mart does this for one reason. They can get away with it. Like any large corporation their fiduciary duty is to maximize shareholder value. As a matter of fact if they didn't put shareholder interest first they would be setting themselves up for legal action.

The proper response in my opinion is to eliminate government subsidies. Without them Wal Mart would not be able to function in the manner they do. The government acts as an enabler for Wal Mart. Without government largess employees would out of necessity have to seek work elsewhere. Eventually Wal Mart would have to increase wages to retain employees. Even so there is a pretty low wage ceiling for unskilled retail workers. It was this way even before Wal Mart. Years ago the people that were retail clerks didn't make much money either. For the most part retail has always been part-time and second income type of jobs.

As for raising the minimum wage, it never works. It will result in more people losing their jobs and not increase the standard of living across the board. The minimum wage should be abolished and let the market dictate the value of any given job.

6. Sooner5030

Sooner5030 Well-Known Member

This "problem" was created by intervention in the first place. Without SNAP & TANF maybe the market price for labor would be different. However, the Statists will use this to justify more intervention.

I've watched this feedback loop for the last 30 years.

7. pphilfran

pphilfran SoonerFans.com Elite Member

JC Penney does the same thing....

8. Midtowner

Midtowner New Member

You go around calling people names all of the time and you don't know the difference between its and it's. Pathetic.

At any rate, yes, this is government subsidization. Wally World even has classes for its employees to teach them how to apply for government benefits. Wal Mart is able to underpay (and keep) its employees because those employees are able to experience an acceptable lifestyle with taxpayer subsidization.

We need to punish large employers which have excessive numbers of part time employees.

CostCo somehow manages to stay competitive and treat their employees fairly at the same time.

9. SoonerorLater

SoonerorLater Well-Known Member

"We need to punish large employers which have excessive numbers of part time employees"

I'll give you an A+ for temerity but no we don't. If enough people like yourself feel strongly enough then shop exclusively at Costco.

10. Midtowner

Midtowner New Member

Temerity?? Are the WalMart goons gonna come after me? I just don't like it when the laws basically require employers to eff over their employees and the taxpayers at the same time. Many on here seem to think that's 'merica though.

They haven't located in OKC or I would. FWIW, I haven't darkened the door of a Wal Mart in years. That said, we need to either adjust minimum wage to a point where the government doesn't subsidize cheap *** employers or place some sort of limitations on part time employee %'s or both. Likely both.

The notion that employers like Wally World would cut back on employees if this was to happen is absurd. If they could cut employees right now, they would.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  11. JohnnyMack

JohnnyMack SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Isn't Costco one of a handful of retailers who won't move into OK due to our archaic, Jesus freak laws regarding alcohol?

12. JohnnyMack

JohnnyMack SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Isn't Costco one of a handful of retailers who won't move into OK due to our archaic, Jesus freak laws regarding alcohol?

13. Midtowner

Midtowner New Member

I'd imagine that puts us lower on their list of places to expand to. You always go where you can make a buck more than the other place.

I'm conflicted about that one. On the one hand, it's a strange exception liquor stores get which doesn't really result in better safety, a better product or anything beneficial for the consumer. On the other hand, there are lots of folks who count themselves as members of the middle class due to our protectionist archaic liquor laws.

I really don't chart my quality of life over what sort of megachains locate in my town though.

14. Turd_Ferguson

Turd_Ferguson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

All you whine bag mother ****er's bitch'n about Wally World...If you don't like it, don't shop at it. If you're pissed about there wages, don't ****'n go to work for them...****'n whine bag mother ****ers.

Also, JM...It doesn't surprise me you'd bring Christianity into this discussion...you ****'n whine bag moosl'm...

Curly Bill likes this.
  15. Midtowner

Midtowner New Member

And it's folks like you who keep WallyWorld in business. No regard for your fellow man so long as you can get your anal lube 50-cents cheaper than you could at the corner store.

16. Turd_Ferguson

Turd_Ferguson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

No regard for my fellow man??? I live in a relatively small town...I buy almost exclusively from mom and pops. When I do got to Wally World it's because I'm saving money on bulk buys. I'm not a ****'n liberal that thinks they need government to save people from themselves. If someone wants to shop/work there...then by all means, get after it.

Curly Bill likes this.
  17. Midtowner

Midtowner New Member

And by saving money on those "bulk buys," you are supporting a company which purposefully underpays its workers in order to be competitive. Why not restructure the market to make it in companies' best interests to do right by their workers?

18. Tulsa_Fireman

Tulsa_Fireman SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Wal-mart killed five hookers.

19. RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Walmart has the lowest prices on goods across the board. Therefore people buy from them. That's the important thing about them. One should not hate them for being #1 Their employees work there because they voluntarily do so.

20. Curly Bill

Curly Bill I'm a shootist

I'm only more likely to shop at Walmart now.