1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trayvon Martin: Are Make My Day Laws a Good Idea?

Discussion in 'TrumpFest 2016' started by Midtowner, Mar 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlboSooner

AlboSooner New Member

Agree with this.

The race bait, and anti-gun rhetoric muddied the waters, in case that is clear in one aspect: Treyvon's death was not warranted.

As a gun owner I always pray I never ever ever have to use it on anybody. I don't think I would even use it if I was in danger. I would only use it to protect my family from violence. I am not going to kill someone over a wallet, or a car.

2. olevetonahill

olevetonahill Well-Known Member

Agreed Dave. Take out all the hate from both sides and lets look at this rationally

3. jumperstop

jumperstop New Member

A hate crime is not just a crime, it's a crime against someone else because of their race. I will say most media labeled hate crimes aren't actually hate crimes though. They are usually just a crime involving the death of a minority...

4. cleller

cleller SoonerFans.com Elite Member

5. Midtowner

Midtowner New Member

The law specifically does not require Zimmerman to retreat. If, as Zimmerman's story goes, he cornered Martin and then Martin attacked, basically, either Martin or Zimmerman would have been privileged at that time to use deadly force because it'd be reasonable to fear death or serious bodily harm.

That's kind of my main point. Any law which allows both folks involved in a conflict to use deadly force is a poorly written law. Hell.. unless Florida law specifically bans dueling, then two folks doing the whole pistols and ten paces at high noon thing would both be privileged to pull the trigger.

6. Sooner_Bob

Sooner_Bob SoonerFans.com Elite Member

We'll just have to agree to disagree . . . trying to stipulate a reason for a crime and labeling it worse due to a person's race isn't getting us anywhere.

Well, except further perpetuation of racial division around the country . . .

There are tons of folks around who make their living off of this division and would freak if we could all actually get along.

7. Sooner_Bob

Sooner_Bob SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I haven't read it so I guess it could.

8. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

i don't know how it's really worded, but the intent is that the crime is to send a message

like a white guy beating up a black guy that's trying to vote to discourage other blacks from voting, etc...

that part i can agree with. that's a bigger deal than just one person assaulting another.

if a white guy beats up a black guy and happens to use the N-word on him in the process, it's not really the same thing to me

again, i'm speaking as yermom, not as a lawyer here

TUSooner likes this.
  9. Tulsa_Fireman

Tulsa_Fireman SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Not me. KILL WHITEY

10. TUSooner

TUSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I think you are incorrect. If Z instigated by following M, he cannot 'stand his ground' but must withdraw or retreat, and the force against him must be fairly strong. (I forget the exact language.) Frozen Sooner quoted the Fla. self defense statute. It is different and more specific than the "stand your ground" statute .
    I agree with your general criticism of the "s y g " law, however. It tends to encourage Wild West shootouts, which already happen between dope dealers (but curiously not among alcohol merchants -- go figure).

11. soonercruiser

soonercruiser New Member

People like this, blabbing off there big mouths on something like this, without having all the facts are as guilty as any murderer. Watching the drive-by and LW media does not give you all the facts. No news source will have all the facts.
    The Scripture even says that destroying a person's reputation is as good as murder.
    Your opinion is just a valid as Jesse Jack-SON....and Al No-So-Sharpton.
    Valid? NOT!
    Let the facts become known, reviewed by a jury of his peers, then we will see.
    But, hopefully not see "justice" like we did with O.J. Simpson!
    :dispirited:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  12. soonercruiser

soonercruiser New Member

Please do not be so honest, as to post words that several other posters wish they could say!

13. soonercruiser

soonercruiser New Member

I think that you are wrong! (Just my opinion - no diff than yours)
    If Zimmerman was a recognized member of a neighborhood watch, recognized by the local police (possibly even trained by the police auxilary - like here in OKC), he does have authority to "follow" within the "Watch" area.
    We have no facts of what occurred after that. The only eye witness reports the kid on top pummeling Zimmerman.
    That I heard a 911 recording of.

14. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

I understand the protecting your Family but if you can't understand that you are a part of your Family and deserve to be protected....maybe you should sell the guns. I'd really rather see you think that statement through though so that your Family doesn't end up burying you because you hesitated when you knew you were in danger.

Honestly, if you have a gun and so does your attacker, make sure you play the game right.

15. hawaii 5-0

hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Why did the Sheriff and the Prosecuting Attorney quit?

5-0

16. LiveLaughLove

LiveLaughLove New Member

Politics. It happens all of the time that people are forced to quit/resign over political pressure from a perceived wrong.

17. hawaii 5-0

hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Thanks. I never heard.

5-0

18. LiveLaughLove

LiveLaughLove New Member

You're welcome. I thought not since you asked.

19. soonercruiser

soonercruiser New Member

I'd like to know more about this angle too.
    If I'm like most of the posters here, I would make some conjecture based on my bias.
    (Ah, what the heck!)
    But, it also smells like someone WAS PUTTING PRESSURE ON THEM TO ARREST THE GUY, just "for looks".
    And, maybe they refused, based on the interpretation of the state law, and the initial lack of evidence otherwise.
    Again....just conjecture, as I haven't seen much news on this.

20. Pricetag

Pricetag SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Flip flopper. If you're going to shout to the heavens how no one should talk without all the facts, then quit talking yourself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.