1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Top 10 college football teams of all time.

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by soonerfan28, May 22, 2008.

1. soonerfan28

soonerfan28 New Member

I don't really know where to start. I haven't been around long enough to see a lot of college football, but I would have to say that the Oklahoma teams of te 50's with Billy Vessels (from my hometown) and some of the others who helped create the 47 game win streak should be there. Oklahoma in 74 and 75 and myabe in the late 80's when I started watching them even with those losses to Miami or maybe Nebraska in the mid 90's with Frazier running the option. Just thought I would ask for some opinions from people who have seen more then I have. I just found that the 56' OU team held 6 teams scoreless, so they were voted 8th by ESPN.

Last edited: May 22, 2008
    badger likes this.
  2. KantoSooner

KantoSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

You have raised the bar to impossible heights. No way to truly compare. On the other hand, assuming proper levels of liquid brain enhancement, this very question can, and has, provided fodder for entire weekends of entertainment. Nay, I've had entire friendships based on nothing more than this question.

And beer.

3. Mad Dog Madsen

Mad Dog Madsen New Member

2008 OKlahoma Sooners...

4. JLEW1818

JLEW1818 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

yes

5. BigHouseDon

BigHouseDon Member

As you might expect I'm a little biased so my first thought runs along the lines of any Michigan team from any year. ;) Reality however rears its ugly head, and tells me that most of the historically "big name" schools like ND, SUC, tOSU, BAMA, and OU to name a few, can claim a spot.

I believe the actual 1-10 order is impossible to decide impartially. Mostly due to biases for and against the contestants in this case. For instance I beleive the south beach U-M to be a historically dirty program. As a result of that I believe that any wins they get are tainted and should be forfeited. That however, is my own humble opinion. I have a good friend that thinks Hurricanes should rule the CFB world every year, and every other program is unworthy to be on the same field.

If I had time I'd pop a beer and settle in for some typing. Can't this time tho. If I don't make it back over here this weekend, then everyone have a good time. Enjoy the weekend.

BHD

6. Sco

Sco New Member

In no order, my initial thought is Oklahoma, USC, Notre Dame, Bama, Mich, OSU, Miami.... not too sure where I'd even go from there....

7. stoopified

stoopified SoonerFans.com Elite Member

If you go strictly by wins:
    Michigan-860
    ND-824
    UT-820
    Nebraska-817
    TOSU-798
    Penn State -790
    Alabama-787
    Oklahoma-776
    Tennessee-771
    USC-753

If you go by winning percentage:

Michigan - .743
    ND - .738
    TOSU - .714
    UT - .713
    OU - .712
    Alabama - .706
    USC - .7033
    Nebraska - .7031
    Tennesssee - .697
    Penn State - .687

Since the TOP 10 All-Time in Winning % and Wins includes the same teams,I think it can be concluded these are the best 10 PROGRAMS in history.

As far as individual teams ,and seasons?The 2000 OU team would have to rank up there given that they finshed 13-0 and beat ranked teams in UT,KSU(twice),Nebraska,FSU.

8. soonerfan28

soonerfan28 New Member

I meant teams like 2000 Oklahoma, 2004 USC, 1985 Oklahoma, etc.

badger likes this.
  9. 12

12 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

There have been so many great Oklahoma teams... I guess it's a matter of opinion, rather than fact. I sure enjoyed the '85 team and would likely rank them tops. So many All-Americans.

10. SteelClip49

SteelClip49 New Member

Based on National Title teams...

1. Nebraska 1995
    2. Miami 2001
    3. Texas 2005
    4. USC 2004
    5. Nebraska 1971
    6. USC 1972
    7. Oklahoma 1974
    8. Alabama 1979
    9. Florida State 1993
    10. Florida 1996

11. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

A real fix-er upper, you know? All National Title teams (no, BYU did NOT win in 1984) and *wink wink* I can see the future on the greatest team in football history :D

12. Scott D

Scott D SoonerFans.com Elite Member

ESPN already demanded that you call the 2004 USC team the greatest team of all time....in every sport. They decided that they would have beaten every Patriots Super Bowl team and the 85 Bears in consecutive weeks :rolleyes:

13. badger

And then, party at Reggie Bush's agent's house afterwards!:rolleyes:

14. Scott D

Scott D SoonerFans.com Elite Member

makin' it rain with Adam Jones after that ;)

15. soonerfan28

soonerfan28 New Member

500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

badger likes this.
  16. badger

Off to a good start, I see.
    [​IMG]
    If you stare at your red spek long enough, you might be able to see green spek pop out inbetween it.

Note: Green spek pops out in b/w if you're a dude... something to do with male colorblindness :D

17. OUmillenium

OUmillenium New Member

HA, good stuff

18. soonerfan28

soonerfan28 New Member

Thanks. I'll try that.

badger likes this.
  19. badger

I was joking. Glad you're here.

20. soonerfan28

soonerfan28 New Member

I know you were, but isn't that what this site is for. I think I read on here for like a year before I started putting my two cents in. I enjoy this site more then any other I've been on. I think there is a great group of intelligent peolpe on here and it's nice to know that before 2000 OU had a football team. Actually I started watching during the 85 season. I was 5 and my sister who is much older was dating a guy that is a huge OU fan and I was hooked. Haven't stopped watching since. They've been married for 22 years now and we're all still OU fans.

Last edited: May 23, 2008