1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tom Coburn is resigning; leaving office in December

Discussion in 'TrumpFest 2016' started by badger, Jan 17, 2014.

1. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

Link

Well, at least we get one more year of him. Give 'em hell, Dr. No :)

2. okie52

okie52 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Very sad to see it. He said it wasn't health but I've got to believe that is the problem. He was going to retire at the end of his term in january 2017. 2 senate seats up for election in 2014 for Oklahoma.

3. KantoSooner

KantoSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

And it will be extremely interesting to see who gets the nominations from either party. Pretty attractive to be a US Sen, hard for a career pol to turn down.

4. badger

I hope that Okla gets to vote on the replacement along with Inhofe's Senate seat during the main election. Hopefully by announcing it now, the state election board can call an election and we can just vote on both seats this cycle (with Coburn's seat electing just a partial term, just until it expires, of course)

I don't know who wants to be a senator in this state, but TW Shannon seems to be a rising Republican star similar to JC Watts in the 90s

5. KantoSooner

KantoSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

The thing for several like him (mullin, bridenstine, etc) is that they are not on top of massive machines, yet. If they go for the brass ring, they might fall, not have a post to return to and fade from view. That's why it'll be interesting. Fallin? Maybe, but the risk is there for her, as well; but she seems to have national ambtions.
    All mentioned so far are pretty 'small' for national office, however. No Bob Kerr in the pack. Intellectually more like a gaggle of Inhofes than a group of Coburns. (and understand, I liked Inhofe as a Tulsa mayor...it's just that Tulsa mayor was the limit of his abilities, bless his little heart.)

6. okie52

I wouldn't go so far as to say a pub would be guaranteed to win Coburn's spot...there are a few dems that might have a shot like Henry and Dan Boren...but even for them it would be a long shot.

I hope the pubs put up a good candidate. TW Shannon seems to be a popular choice. I would hope Lankford wouldn't run because he is too influenced by the baptists. Fallin wouldn't be my choice either but she would probably win in the general election...but I don't think she would be a lock on the primary.

7. badger

Well, that was fast

The challenge for the ambitious is that in order to run for either Senate spot, they'll have to resign whatever post they currently have. Will this pull someone out of "retirement" (JC Watts? Ernest Istook? Brad Henry? John Sullivan? Dan Boren? Jari Askins? Todd Hiatt? Drew Edmondson?) or pull someone out of their current office (Mary Fallin? TW Shannon? Scott Pruitt? Markwayne Mullin? Jim Bridenstine? Todd Lamb?)

8. FaninAma

FaninAma SoonerFans.com Elite Member

So you think the voters in Oklahoma have forgotten the lies Henry told to get elected such as he was pro-tort reform?

9. badger

I'm not saying they'll win, I'm just wondering who will run

10. okie52

Or endorsing Obama or saying the lottery would generate $300,000,000 a year in 2002? Yeah, probably forgotten by most but now the state is so overwhelmingly pub compared to 2002 that I don't think many dems would want to jump in....but at least there won't be an incumbent that they would be running against which should make it easier for a dem.

11. badger

I'm going to try to enter the election cycle with an open mind, realizing that I will be sick of push polls and endless ads by July's primary and hate both major party candidates by November. :(

12. rock on sooner

rock on sooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Y'all keep this issue up front so I can follow it. Don't hear much about
    OK politics here in IA. Kinda like Coburn, he said some sensible things.
    Hope he gets his health in order...good luck to him....

13. SanJoaquinSooner

SanJoaquinSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Hope there's a libertarian pub out there in okieland.

14. diverdog

diverdog New Member

I will be sad to see Dr. Coburn leave. He is one of the good ones.

15. okiegirl

okiegirl New Member

I respect him and I loved his "phone-call-town-hall-meetings" I also love his wasted spending in government books and articles. I however, did not like that he would vote against his constituents many times. He would post a book telling us what a waste our tax-dollars were spent on,then not ever really fix it or try to fix it, IMO. I hope that we get someone as good or better than Dr. Coburn, and by we, I mean all of America. I no longer live in Oklahoma, but I am still an Okie.

16. diverdog

diverdog New Member

okiegirl:

Coburn was good because he reached across the isle. The problem is there are not many people in DC who are willing to step on their colleagues toes or work with the other side. I believe Coburn tried to do what was right for the nation not just Oklahoma.

Delaware had a very good Senator named Bill Roth. He is mostly famous for the Roth IRA. But he also waged a one man war against waist....the $1000 toilet sets, $500 screw driver. He did a lot of good but it was not enough.

What we need are more men like Coburn and Roth. Guys who are worker bees that don't want to be in the spot light and try to get things done.