1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To The Kitchen

Discussion in 'South Oval' started by Oldnslo, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Oldnslo

Oldnslo Radioman

Dad’s Sausage and Pecan Dressing

1lb sausage meat (I use Lovera’s Hot Italian Sausage)
    ½ cup butter
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 cup chopped celery
    2 TBS chopped parsley
    1 tsp salt
    ¼ tsp white pepper
    ½ TBS Worcestershire sauce
    1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
    6 cups bread cubes
    20 oz chicken stock

1. While singing along with Christmas songs on Mix 96, find your favorite 6-quart Dutch oven or stock pot. Chop all that needs to be chopped, taking care to avoid chopping finger or other favorite/necessary appendage. Take the sausage out of its casing and sauté uncased sausage until golden. Do not drain. Remove sausage and add butter to sausage fat. Loudly curse as hot oil splatters on forearm. In hot buttery/sausage fat goodness, sauté onion, celery and parsley until the onion is clear/gold… about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Resolve to exercise a bit harder on the coming weekend as you contemplate the extra calories of the sausage/butter combination.

2. Add salt, pepper, Worcestershire, cooked sausage, pecans, and bread cubes to pot. Toss lightly as you add stock. (for what it’s worth, I add a can of stock for every package of bread cubes). If you have ingredients left over at this point, something has gone wrong. Curse again and add misplaced ingredient (It’s dressing, not rocket science. You can’t go too far wrong).

3. Boast wildly that this will be the Best Dressing Ever and invite curious children/spouses to taste.

4. Strut and Preen as a peacock as you accept congratulations on the Best Dressing Ever. Remind all present how lucky they are to have you in their life.

5. Dab tear from eye.

This stuff keeps pretty well in the refrigerator. You may choose to make it the day before in order to let all the flavors blend together.

soonerbrat likes this.
  2. Adrian

Adrian New Member

I hope you made enough for everybody here...

3. Okla-homey

Okla-homey SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Christmas songs?

Hanukkah begins at sundown on Wednesday, December 1. Shouldn't you be listening to tunes about clay spinning tops or something?;)

4. soonerbrat

soonerbrat Not Exactly Right

dreidelweiss?

5. Oldnslo

Oldnslo Radioman

It's a recipe thread, people!

Yeesh.

6. silverwheels

silverwheels SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Not really a holiday recipe, but just something I came up with a couple of weeks ago on a rainy day. It's a good winter/crappy weather soup.

Potato and Sweet Corn Chowder:
    Yield: about 6 individual servings

Thick-cut applewood-smoked bacon
    2 large Russet potatoes
    10 oz. frozen sweet corn niblets (don't have to be thawed)
    1 medium yellow onion
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    1.5 cups chicken broth or stock
    2 cups half and half
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    6 oz. gourmet garlic and herb cheese spread (like Boursin or Rondelé)
    TT truffle salt*
    TT wild porcini sea salt*
    TT cayenne pepper
    TT freshly ground black pepper
    TT smoked paprika

*If you can't find truffle salt or wild porcini sea salt (I got them at Williams-Sonoma some time ago, so they might not be there still) use regular kosher salt and finish each individual serving of soup with a drizzle of truffle oil. Or don't. It's better with that truffle flavor, though.

1. Lay out 6 strips of bacon on a cooling rack over a sheet pan and put in a cold oven, then turn it up to 375, or directly on parchment paper on a sheet pan. Cook until bacon is crisp, then set aside and reserve 2 tablespoons of the rendered fat.

2. While bacon is cooking, peel and dice potatoes into 1/2" cubes and keep submerged in cold water until ready to use to prevent browning.

3. Peel and dice onion into 1/8" cubes.

4. Pour the rendered bacon fat into a medium heavy sauce pot or stock pot and set heat to medium.

5. When medium heat is reached, cook onions until translucent and soft, then add garlic and continue cooking for an additional 3 minutes, or until onions just start to take on color.

6. Drain potatoes and add to the pot along with the corn niblets. Pour in stock/broth, half-and-half, and cream, and bring to a boil (will require turning up the heat).

7. Reduce heat to medium-low and add seasonings (tasting after every addition), then add the cheese spread, and stir until dissolved.

8. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender, but not mushy (take one out and pinch; it should resist at first but then crumble).

9. Serve garnished with crumbled bacon.

[​IMG]

7. usaosooner

usaosooner New Member

I want!

8. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

hehe. he said Dutch oven :D

9. SanJoaquinSooner

SanJoaquinSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Roasted Winter Vegetables

Carrots - 1 inch thick disks
    Brussel Sprouts - halved
    Red Potatoes - 1 inch thick slices
    sweet potatoes - 1 inch thick slices
    red onion - cut in eighths
    butternut squash - 1 inch cubes
    whole mushrooms
    dried oregano, rosemary, thyme, and basil.
    salt
    pepper
    olive oil

1/3 cup olive oil rubbed all over veggies on cookie sheet. rub in seasonings.

400 degrees for 30 to 35 min.

KC//CRIMSON likes this.
  10. Frozen Sooner

Frozen Sooner Soon to be Memphibian

Two lbs russet potatoes
    2tbsp salt
    3 cloves garlic
    2 tsp wasabi powder
    6 tbsp butter
    1 cup buttermilk

Peel and dice potatoes. Cover in cold water in a pot and bring to boil with salt. Simmer for 18 minutes.
    Press garlic and sautee in butter.
    Drain potatoes
    Combine everything. Mash the living **** out of it.

Serve. Enjoy.

11. yermom

yermom Stayatworkdad

mmm... wasabi...

12. Adrian

Adrian New Member

Nobody wants to hear about labor pains-they just want to see the baby...

13. waynepayne

waynepayne New Member

What is going on around here? I just thought you were someone who had terrible taste in music and was snarky about it and now the Holidays come around and poof - you're Bobby Effin Flay?!

I swear sometimes you think you know a person....

14. Adrian

Adrian New Member

Space Waffles

1 package caramel

Waffle batter

Liquid smoke

1/2 to 1 cup of butter

*Pour first three ingredients on waffle iron

*Close iron

*When waffle is done, peel it off the waffle iron

*Wrap waffle around full stick of butter

*Insert toothpick to close waffle around butter and enjoy

15. SanJoaquinSooner

SanJoaquinSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

For the turkey, I'm doing a version of what Bobby Flay did in his Thanksgiving Day throwdown - where you rub it with a herbed butter and cook at 450 initially and then turn in down to 350. I'll baste every 30 minutes instead of every 15 though.

KC//CRIMSON likes this.
  16. waynepayne

waynepayne New Member

you know he lost, right?

;)

17. Adrian

Adrian New Member

Doesn't matter. Win or lose, he's Bobby Flay...

18. silverwheels

silverwheels SoonerFans.com Elite Member

First of all, my taste in music > yours :p

And secondly, I am about 7 months away from getting a degree in the culinary arts, and Bobby Flay is a tool.

19. tommieharris91

tommieharris91 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

He's only a good cook because he adds bacon to everything. ;)

20. tommieharris91

tommieharris91 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Anyway, I don't have an actual recipe, but the secret ingredient for my family's dressing is oysters. You wouldn't think it fits, but it does.