1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This is OU's best team since 1988...

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by Soonerus, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Soonerus

Soonerus SoonerFans.com Elite Member

...IMHO ...

2. SoonerPride

SoonerPride Collector Emeritus

They have the potential, certainly, to play in a great way.

At least Miami isn't on the schedule.

3. oudavid1

oudavid1 @DavidLeake

I hope you turn out correct. Natty!

4. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

That's a big 'ole statement rus...but I like it.

I think we've had some very talented teams since then, but this one may be the most talented overall.

5. Soonerus

Certainly...

6. SicEmBaylor

SicEmBaylor Baylor Ambassador

I just don't see it. Landry has always seemed pretty weak to me regardless of the records he's broken. I guess it's because he came in right after Sam Bradford.

Of course I always always thought (and still do) that Hybl was a great underrated QB while everyone else likes to pile on the poor guy so my opinions probably aren't too valid.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner likes this.
  7. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

I can actually get what you're saying (about Landry). The kid is amazing, and I saw that Kiper just moved him up to #4 on his draft board. But, he's just not a magnetic guy...personality maybe? You could be right, maybe just a function of following Sam.

8. Soonerus

9. VA Sooner

VA Sooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Remains to be seen... I was more convinced after the FSU game but maybe the Mizzou game was just a big letdown game and all 532 yards were a figment of my beer-induced imagination.

10. starclassic tama

starclassic tama New Member

i think it's because landry always seems good for about 2-3 bonehead throws per game. he has as much talent as anyone that has thrown a ball at OU, but he still throws those few balls a game that he absolutely should not have given his ability and experience...

11. oumartin

oumartin New Member

Talent wise 2003, 2004 teams were probably far more talented. as was 2008. Look at the draft picks.

As a team you can't say 88 was better than 2000's squad that went undefeated. This team might be in the top 4 or 5 of stoops best but thats it.

12. Soonerus

He has passed for more yardage than any QB in OU history, he will easily be a top draft pick, what does it take??? Geez...

13. Soonerus

I said it was my opinion, you are entitled to your's...I think we will all realize it soon enough...

14. OUNASH

OUNASH New Member

85, 86, 87 Sooners went 11-1 and the 88 team 9-3. I would say this team is on par with the 2004 team, if that. There is still alot of football to be played befgore making any comparisons. I hope we can say they rival the 2000 team if they win another National Championship.

15. SicEmBaylor

A national championship is what it takes. I want to see it happen, but it's hard for me to see Landry getting it done. I hope I'm wrong. I like the guy and I certainly like OU so I hope for the best with both.

Shawn Bell shattered every passing and TD record at Baylor and still only won 5 games. That's somewhat apples to oranges, but the point being that it really doesn't matter how many yards he throws for when it's the wins that count.

16. Soonerus

I am talking 87-88, Orange Bowl MNC game vs. Miami...

17. Soonerus

Shawn Bell(??) play much in the NFL ???

18. oumartin

oumartin New Member

rus is just drunk again

19. SicEmBaylor

As much as Landry has.

20. Soonerus

I will save this for a couple of years...