1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The piling up on Sutton sickens me

Discussion in 'Sooner Basketball' started by picasso, Feb 16, 2006.

1. picasso

picasso SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I just visited the basketball forum on Hale's board. We've got some real classy jerkoff fans.
    I for one cannot stand Sean Sutton but have always respected Eddie and am hoping he can climb out of his addiction and health problems.
    Keep in mind I realize he's had a history of alcoholism but I've had the bad back thing before, so bad I slept on the floor for a month and was drugged up about 70% of the time.

2. Beef

Beef SoonerFans.com Elite Member

That explains some of the paintings. ;) :O

3. picasso

picasso SoonerFans.com Elite Member

heh.:D
    I agree we should be critical of his getting behind the wheel but my lord, some of these wankers are rejoicing in this story.:confused:

4. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

jkm the stolen pifwafwi SoonerFans.com Elite Member

so that's what the kids are calling it these days...

5. King Crimson

King Crimson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

i tend to agree pic.

we were all "second chance/forgiveness" kind of fans when Dusty was re-instated. can't have it both ways.

6. Rock Hard Corn Frog

Rock Hard Corn Frog New Member

"Hi, I'm here for the gang bang.....":D

7. critical_phil

critical_phil SoonerFans.com Elite Member

where is the line drawn for piling on?

can i make fun of courtney love? robert downey jr.? michael jackson?

does the person in question need to be of despicable character before i can pile on?

is a drunk with a homespun drawl better than a drunk from the big city?

i don't claim to know eddie sutton. i (and many other people) have called eddie a drunk for many years.....and when he's caught drinking and driving i'm supposed to show restraint? seeing that no one was killed or seriously injured, this is a comedy gold mine in my view.

i recognize that the labs etc. haven't come back on this, and alcohol may have been a minor player in the incident - but perception is perception. to many people, including myself, he was a drunk....and is a drunk. i've got very little tolerance for abusers of alcohol and drugs of any kind. he made someone else pay for his personal weaknesses, which is not excusable because he is viewed as a likeable fellow by some.

8. Beef

Beef SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I think there's also more forgiveness for 23 year old's making mistakes with drugs and alcohol than someone who's almost 70. Although this particular near 70 year old is under an amount of stress and scrutiny that I could never imagine. I just hope he conquers his demon's for his and his family's sake. Hammered grandparents can be a beating.

9. colleyvillesooner

colleyvillesooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Plus, I thought OSU was his second chance?

10. mdklatt

mdklatt SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I wasn't, so can I still bag on Sutton?

11. King Crimson

King Crimson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

to coach basketball, not to be a human being.

12. SeattleOUstudent

SeattleOUstudent You can stand on it

Just for clarification, this was his second chance.

13. CobraKai

CobraKai New Member

Except that Dusty was reinstated, which implies that he was disciplined. If Eddie was fired on the spot, went to rehab, stayed clean for a year, and then gotten reinstated....that would make it a more valid comparison.

What if the Dusty ordeal went down like this:

1. Dusty screws up in a drunken stupor and almost kills someone. Bear in mind that he has had other incidents as well, and this was his "second chance" already.
    2. Our AD comes out and fails to acknowledge any culpability, instead stating that "we hope Dusty's sore knuckles get to feeling better so he can rejoin the team."
    3. Dusty and our AD fail to call and apologize or even check up on the person Dusty put into the hospital.
    4. Dusty is allowed to take a medical leave of absense, on his own volition, until such time as he feels ready to rejoin the team.
    5. Stoops refuses to acknowledge anyone else as the starter until Dusty returns. All sacks that happen in his absense will be credited to Dusty's sack record.
    6. Dusty rejoins the team and is NEVER disciplined in any way.

In that case, I think I would be more prone to "pile on" about how the situation was handled. If Eddie is terminated immediately, completes rehab, and is later given a second chance, I will support him 100%. Otherwise I don't really see the comparison other than it is two guys that screwed up multiple times due to alcohol, one got punished, the other did not.

bigdsooner and RacerX like this.
  14. OKC-SLC

OKC-SLC SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Eddie Sutton CHOSE to get behind the wheel of his car under the influence of what would appear to be two different drugs. Is it sad that he has hit the bottle again, and that he has a bad back? Sure. But look at the illustration of how he was driving--what if your family were on that road, would you still be hosting the pity fest at your place?

But he put lives at risk. F*** him for doing so. I have no pity for that mistake. If Bob, our premier coach, did that, I'd say the exact same thing.

Flagstaffsooner likes this.
  15. JohnnyMack

JohnnyMack SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Mmm hmm. Choices. We all make them. We all have to deal with the consequences of those choices.

Dude has a long history of abusing alcohol and who knows how many times he's been behind the wheel tanked, seconds away from killing someone.

I buried a friend of mine when I was 19 who was killed by a drunk driver. I have about zero sympathy for anyone who does dumb selfish **** like what Eddie did.

Eddie knew better. I hope they throw the book at him.

16. sas

sas New Member

Are you new around here?

Fan sites were FOUNDED with "having it both ways" as a major ritual.

Their player is a thug......ours got caught up in a bad situation......

Their coach is a jerk.........ours is confident.........

and on.........

and on..........

17. sas

sas New Member

[​IMG]

offset the [​IMG]

18. CobraKai

CobraKai New Member

Bottom line for me...

There is a difference between having empathy for someone and supporting them. I feel sorry for Eddie and his family, but I see no need to support or defend his actions.

19. colleyvillesooner

colleyvillesooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

You're gonna be waiting a while. Like forever.

20. Pricetag

Pricetag SoonerFans.com Elite Member

This is just such a jacked up situation, with so many factors at play.

Like I've said before, DUI is a strange offense socially. There's no other crime that is so serious to/looked down upon by us, but is also committed so frequently by us. When a person gets a DUI, we love to brand them a terrible person. But the reality is that we know someone who has driven when they shouldn't have, or we have done it ourselves. They/we didn't get caught, though, so we're still decent people. I'm not saying that it's okay to get behind the wheel in these situations. I'm just saying we're pretty hypocritical about the way we treat the people who do--it all depends upon how well we know the person.

Then, we have the whole hero thing. We build up these public figures. We make them larger than life. We get so emotionally invested in our creations that when they prove fallible, we try to make excuses for them, and when we do, it's pretty embarrassing and pathetic to watch. I'm beginning to wonder if the whole "fall at GIA" even happened.

The only thing I can say about this is that the situation sucks. I hate that it happened. I wish it hadn't happened. I personally like Eddie Sutton. What has happened here does not make him a terrible person. But I don't feel sorry for him. He made his bed, and now he gets to lay in it. This is no tragedy--it could have been, mind you, but luckily it is not. If you're not sympathetic to Joe Sixpack who has a few too many at the local watering hole and gets a DUI, then there's no room for sympathy for Eddie, either.