1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the pass/fumble/shovel/whatever play debacle

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by EatLeadCommie, Sep 23, 2012.

1. EatLeadCommie

EatLeadCommie New Member

On the fumble that was ruled an incomplete forward pass after replay, I have a few questions.

1- Who was the "pass" intended for, and
    2- Did he see the field the rest of the game?

I'm thinking it was Whaley and he didn't.

2. SoonerofAlabama

SoonerofAlabama Actual Poor Student

I think it was Finch.

3. Peeb

Peeb Active Member

His follow-thru fully supported the shovel theory. Gotta say it sells better if he DOESN'T go chasing it as if it were a fumble after it hits the ground, however.

I was surprised they overturned the call on the field, but it has support on slow-mo. Was glad for Landry he got the benefit of the doubt.

4. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I think it really was supposed to be a shovel or a shovel fake, but LJ executed it so poorly we were really lucky to have it ruled a pass via replay. I also think it was for Finch.

5. Pricetag

Pricetag SoonerFans.com Elite Member

It was a nifty play, but a bad call considering where we were on the field.

6. BoulderSooner79

A shovel pass is called down there exactly because it is safer than a lateral or even a handoff because the ball is dead if you screw up.

7. boomersooner28

boomersooner28 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

That looked like a high school play that a high school team was practicing for the first time.

8. MikeGundy'sPaperboy

MikeGundy'sPaperboy New Member

Fixed

XingTheRubicon likes this.
  9. jkm  the stolen pifwafwi

jkm the stolen pifwafwi SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Based on the reactions of the players after the play, the only person who didn't realize that Finch was going to get the ball was Roy Finch.

10. Turd_Ferguson

Turd_Ferguson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Concur.

11. EatLeadCommie

EatLeadCommie New Member

Did Finch see the field again after the play?

12. goingoneight

goingoneight I said Biiiiiiiitch--

That's called a "tap pass." West Virginia runs it 2-3 times a game with Tavon Austin. That was not a fumble. It was an incomplete pass and clearly Finch didn't know it was coming to him. The QB catches a shotgun snap and flips a quick pass to the man in motion. He then play-fakes the fullback dive to try and bring a few more defenders in.

13. cccasooner2

cccasooner2 New Member

Well yeah, it could have been.

[video=youtube;dXd45MOjdP8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXd45MOjdP8[/video]

14. soonerboy_odanorth

soonerboy_odanorth New Member

And people get all up in arms about why Finch isn't getting more opportunities. I think it was well answered last night.

But I hope, and pray, that some drooling scribe from the East Popcorn Picyune asks him why Finch didn't have more opportunities last night after his first quarter 10 yard burst.

It might be the red button that sends Stoops thermonuclear. Heh.

15. tulsaoilerfan

tulsaoilerfan Ready for Baseball Season

It was one mistake in what, the 4th quarter? Still doesn't explain why he didn't touch the ball after the first series of the game, does it?

16. BoulderSooner79

Maybe not. But it will probably explain why he won't touch the ball next game.

17. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

My take is that Finch is hanging on by a thread. He got his chance to play early, but there must have been something that kept him off the field before the pass/fumble. I don't know if he ever came back between his first touch and the pass/fumble, maybe he did and missed on something? I'm disappointed in Finch. He is an amazing talent, with the ability to change a game, but apparently he doesn't want to put in the work to be that guy for this team.

18. goingoneight

goingoneight I said Biiiiiiiitch--

Per Merv Johnson:
    Roy Finch isn't playing running back much for the same reason Taylor McNamara isn't getting many passes thrown his way. The staff isn't hating on them. They're just not getting it completely. We saw this for three years with Quentin Chaney. It doesn't matter how awesome he looks on one play if they don't feel like he can do it full time. You don't play a guy without confidence for the same reason you don't go for it on fourth down everytime. It's a gamble that will not work in your favor.

19. cyclonesooner

cyclonesooner New Member

What I can't believe is that everyone is railing on Finch here instead of the fact that it was a ridiculous, risky, moronic play call in poor filed position at a time in the game where things weren't going well at all. Sure, Finch is at fault if he bothched the assignment, but the risk of running that play was a terrible decision.

20. Breadburner

Breadburner Well-Known Member

Jones didn't even release it until finch was past him.....