1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official Yankees ...

Discussion in 'General Sports Forum' started by OUthunder, May 5, 2005.

1. OUthunder

OUthunder Angry Bird

Whatever happened to Paul O'Neil. Is he commentating at all.

I loved the way he played.

Salt City Sooner likes this.
  2. Salt City Sooner

Salt City Sooner New Member

He fills in periodically on YES. He was easily my favorite player on those late 90's teams. NOBODY out competed him. Dude just shut up, did his job & did it well. A few times I found my self actually begging teams to run on that cannon he had just for the heck of it. It was hilarious to see that "no freakin' WAY did he just make that throw" look on some of those poor saps faces....:D

GDC and OUthunder like this.
  3. OUthunder

OUthunder Angry Bird

Paulie was also my favorite player of the 90's. I loved how he played, his intensity, and like you said above, just shut up and played ball. Opposing teams fans called him a whiner, in reality he was just intense.

Brosius was another guy I really admired. Just played.

Salt City Sooner and GDC like this.
  4. GDC

GDC New Member

What?

OUthunder likes this.
  5. Salt City Sooner

& in other news, Cano finished 2nd to Street in the Rookie of the Year balloting. Much as it irks me to give credit to a horn, I'd have to say they got it right.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2216645

Most definitely. Throw Mike Stanley (even though he later went to Boston), Chili Davis, Mike Stanton, Jimmy Key ( I still say Coney screwed him out of the Cy Young in '94, but considering that DC came over to the good guys, I'll forgive him, lol), & one of my biggest regrets as a Yankee fan, Andy Pettitte.

Oh, & BTW, I am NOT making the next post in this thread, no matter how big the news is.....:D

Last edited: Nov 8, 2005
    OUthunder likes this.
  6. Scott D

Scott D SoonerFans.com Elite Member

you hatin' on Ben Ogilvie?

7. GDC

GDC New Member

Far from it, but that's the first I've heard of that.

8. Scott D

It's not likely, I just wanted take the opportunity to throw a quality name out there like Ben Ogilvie :)

9. GDC

GDC New Member

Wasn't he part of those awesome Brewer teams with guys like Cecil Cooper from way back?

10. OUthunder

OUthunder Angry Bird

Does anyone still remember whe the Yanks had Cecil Fielder on the roster?

Good times.

Veritas and GDC like this.
  11. Scott D

yeah he was the LF with Cecil Cooper, Robin Yount, Rollie Fingers, and a young injury prone Paul Molitor.

Veritas likes this.
  12. GDC

GDC New Member

If those teams had had any pitching they would have been unstoppable.

OUthunder and Veritas like this.
  13. Scott D

no argument here...they should have beaten the Cardinals in 82. How can you let Darrell Porter beat you ;)

GDC likes this.
  14. Salt City Sooner

Oglivie tied Reggie for the A.L. home run crown in '80 with 41, easily his best overall year. As for their pitching in their W.S. year, they had a nice 1-2 punch with Vuckovich, who won the Cy Young that year, & Caldwell. They also got Don Sutton from Houston late that year. McClure & Haas weren't stellar by any means, but for 4 & 5 guys, they were serviceable. Make no mistake though, it was Harvey's Wallbangers that got them as far as they went.

Me & the wife went up to Royals stadium that year to see the Yanks & CF hit a BOMB. One of the longest HR's I've ever seen in that place.

15. GDC

GDC New Member

I see where the best pitcher in the AL, Rivera, was jobbed on the Cy Young. :mad:

OUthunder likes this.
  16. Salt City Sooner

I'd have minded it a LOT less, had it been Santana who did the jobbing. Except for wins (& most of that can be attributed to run support), Santana was better in virtually EVERYTHING.

Wins: Colon 21, Santana 16

Losses: Colon 8, Santana 7

ERA: Colon 3.48, Santana 2.87

Both were in 33 games, all starts

Innings pitched: Colon 222 2/3, Santana 231 2/3

Complete games: Colon 2, Santana 3

Hits allowed: Colon 215 Santana 180

Walks: Colon 43, Santana 45

Strikeouts: Colon 157, Santana 238

HR allowed: Colon 26, Santana 22

Exactly WHO had the better year?

Oh, & I'd still give it to Rivera. :D