1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The official Sunny Galloway must go thread

Discussion in 'Sooner Baseball, Softball, etc.' started by 1stTimeCaller, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1stTimeCaller

1stTimeCaller SoonerFans.com Elite Member

The official Sunny Golloway must go thread

Sunny needs to be fired. The BS yet brilliant coup he masterminded to get himself the job should be reason alone.

I'm not saying he had anything to do with Larry's departure but he is 100% responsible for the scholarship fiasco.

He tells a few kids 'Hey I'm going to give you a full scholly although you were at 25 or 50%, when this goes down I'll need to back it off a little but you you'll get more than you have now. The new coach comes in, sees that OU is over on schollys, goes back to Wichita State. Sunny gets the job, immediatly yanks his nephew's 100% scholly and trims back a few others. Voila!!! Sunny is the HC and OU is at the scholly limit.

He is not allowed on Seminole's campus, nor Connors State's to recruit. I wonder why? Perry Keith used to send tons of guys to ORU when Sunny was there.

Sunny, it's a small world. Karma's a bitch.

Sooner24 likes this.
  2. critical_phil

critical_phil SoonerFans.com Elite Member

somebody's full of p!ss and vinegar today..........

3. Ardmore_Sooner

Ardmore_Sooner New Member

4. Collier11

Collier11 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Wow!!! Ou fans can never be happy about anything...The guy is the reason that we even made the big 12 tourney last year, and as much as I loved cochell he kind of dug his own grave. Give the guy a chance, he was a hell of a coach at ORU

5. 1stTimeCaller

This guy is the reason we were over the NCAA scholarship limit and Stephenson quit creating a nice PR fiasco. ORU refuses to schedule OU anymore because of Sunny. The best two JuCos in the state will not allow him on their campus'.

Oh well, his last few years at ORU he had bought into the Larry Cochell School of Baseball that believes kids from California are better players than kids from Oklahoma, so the JuCos banning Sunny shouldn't matter to OU recruiting.

6. Dio

Dio SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I think it's Chuck Long's fault, myself.

7. BoomerJack

BoomerJack New Member

So Galloway can't set foot on Seminoe and Connors JC campus' because he told some kids they would get more scholarship percentages than he was able to deliver. And this, in turn, scared off the Wichita State coach from taking the HC job at OU.

It must not have been much of a fiasco since Galloway is still employed by the athletic department. I think if it were serious enough, Joe C. would have run him off and/or the Big XII and NCAA would be crawling all over the department looking to put the program on probation, etc.

If, in fact, Seminole and Connors have banned Galloway, it's unfortunate and hopefully that situation can be corrected sooner rather than later.

8. 1stTimeCaller

I'll walk you through this.
    Cochell gets fired.
    None of the other guys from the NC team endorse Sunny for the job. Sunny being a member of the NC staff should have been a shoo in but nobody wanted him for the job.
    Sunny tells a few kids already on scholly at OU, 'Hey I'm going to up your scholly, it will put us over the limit and after this comes out I'll back it down to get us under but you will end up with more than you have now.' He gives his nephew a 100% scholly. His nephew is a right fielder.
    Gene Stephens gets hired, sees how many schollys OU has given out. Quits.
    Sunny gets the job. His plan worked.
    Sunny yanks his nephew's scholarship. All 100% of it. Backs down the % for the few guys that he had bumped up to get OU at the NCAA limit thereby avoiding any NCAA infractions.

How many right fielders in the NCAA have 100% scholarships? 0.

If you don't believe me go back and see why the WSU coach left after one day on the job and then see if OU has any scholarship problems with the NCAA when the season starts.

The JuCo coaches have been lied to and stabbed in the back too many times by Sunny. They have seen his promises to their kids not happen too many times.

9. okienole3

okienole3 New Member

He was a hell of a PE Teacher at Whittier Middle School when I was in the 7th grade.

10. Collier11

Collier11 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

college baseball players dont get full schollys regardless unless it is a-rod reincarnated. If golloway wins we will all love him and if he doesnt then this will all come up again so lets just give the guy a chance

11. 1stTimeCaller

fair enough. but some pitchers do get 100% scholarships.

12. BoomerJack

BoomerJack New Member

1stTime Caller: Thank for the more detailed theory but it's a little much for me to get my head completely around it today.

My understanding of the "over-selling" of scholly's is due to the the possibililties of current and prospective players signing pro contracts in June and therefore not being able to play the following spring. It was explained as such during the aftermath of the Stephens hiring/resignation situation. It wasn't the first time it has happened in Norman and problably happens to most if not all programs around the country. And if the NCAA has a problem with how many scholly's the OU baseball team is taking up, it seems to me they would have said something by now. The season starts on Feb. 3, less than two weeks from now.

The 100% ship given to a right-fielder. I don't know for sure but I think you are referencing Kody Kaiser, a freshman on last years team. Yeah, a full ride is a lot to give one kid but from the info on the soonersports website about Mr. Kaiser, it appears that he's a pretty good ballplayer. When did Kaiser get this full ride? When Cochell was HC or after he was fired and Kaiser was already playing for him?

As for the Seminole and Connors States coaches being fed up with Golloways' treachery, did this just occur over the last two and a half years or is it a carry over from Golloway's stint at ORU? Regardless, it is unfortunate if true and hopefully fences can be mended.

13. stoopified

stoopified SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Over signing is the norm in college baseball and Sunny did nothing wrong.Gene is a coward and was looking for an excuse to go back to Wussy State.All that matters is that you mett scholly limits by start of spring ( which we did.This is OLD news and was covered back when Galloway was hired.

14. 1stTimeCaller

being deceitful and coniving wasn't covered. Sunny not being allowed on the top 2 baseball JuCos in the midwest was not covered. The how's and why's were not covered.

giving right fielders 100% schollys is not the norm. yanking their 100% scholly is not the norm. bumping up a few players % to purposefully go over the NCAA limit is not the norm.

15. BoomerJack

BoomerJack New Member

1stTime, tell us the whys and hows Golloway isn't allowed at Seminole and Connors?

16. 1stTimeCaller

I'm not 100% sure why he's not allowed on Seminole's campus but he's not allowed on Connors' campus because Perry is tired of seeing Sunny lie to his kids. Not treating them right once they were at ORU and now OU. Being a back-stabbing jerk basically.

17. BoomerJack

BoomerJack New Member

Thanks 1stTime. That clears it up a bit. It appears that it wasn't for anything Golloway has done since back at OU. Mostly during his time at ORU. I might note that soonersports.com shows that there hasn't been a transfer from Connors on the OU baseball team spring roster since 2004. That kid was senior that year.

There are presently three transfers from Seminole on the current spring roster. One of whom is Jimmy Rollins, classified as a Junior and whose name does not appear on the 2005 spring roster. From this, it appears that whatever transgression Golloway committed was done since Rollins signed with the Sooners sometime last fall.

And like I said before, hopefully fences can be mended with these JUCO programs in time. Perhaps with the addition of the new assistant from Grayson Co. CC this will happen sooner than later.

As to the over-selling of scholly's, etc. I still believe that this happens quite often for reasons noted. I find it hard to believe that the WSU panicked about the situation that was the result of Machiavellian acts by Golloway. I think he, Stephens, realized he would miss the program he worked so hard to build at WSU. And until Golloway screws it up on the field or with the NCAA, I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt.

18. Ardmore_Sooner

So you know him personally to be a jerk and know all this information first hand. I have had the oppurtunity to talk to Coach Golloway and he is a very respectful christian man. I agree with BoomerJack, if it had been that big of a problem he wouldn't be the coach right now. Is Sampson going to be fired because of the whole phone call to recruits debacle? No. Then why would something that hasn't even made a headline get rid of Golloway?

19. 1stTimeCaller

did you play for Sunny? do you know him personally? Do you know his in-laws?

20. Ardmore_Sooner

I dunno do you know him personally, do you know all your allegations to be true? I asked for a link for some background info and never got any, and until I read something your word is nothing more than poppycock.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.