1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sooners in the Draft

Discussion in 'Sooner Baseball, Softball, etc.' started by Collier11, Jun 6, 2013.

1. BlackwellSooner

BlackwellSooner New Member

Is there a rule that states that someone like Cody gets drafted but chooses to attend OU, that he is not eligible for a given amount of time? In other words, if he is drafted this year and declines the offer, would he be eligible for the draft after his freshman or sophomore year?

2. Collier11

Collier11 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

If he goes to OU he has to play 3 years I believe

3. BlackwellSooner

BlackwellSooner New Member

That was kind of what I was thinking... thanks for the reply.

4. Salt City Sooner

Salt City Sooner New Member

Would that still apply though, since he'll be on a football 'ship?

5. colston15

colston15 New Member

Talking to a couple of people and reading some things in a few different places, I think the kid from Jenks that was drafted in the 7th round will be a really tough sign for the White Sox.

That can't really go much above slot and the kid really loves OU and doesn't need the money.

And I was only partly right about the pitcher from Colorado. As I said this morning, I'd heard teams were scared away a bit because he was such a hard commit to OU, but I thought he'd still sign because he'd go in the top 10 rounds.

Now that hasn't happened I think there's a real chance he ends up in Norman. That would be HUGE. He's got lots of potential.

The high school catcher from Cali (Nottingham) reminds me a lot of Hunter Lockwood from a couple years back. He's got a lot of power for a high school kid and is an all-around phenomenal athlete. Arizona and some other west coast schools offered him for football.

He went in the 6th round because as I mentioned he has power, but also because he's a really good defensive catcher. He projects really well. No info on his early intentions, but man would it be nice to get him here.

Interesting to note that Sheldon Neuse, infielder/pitcher from Fort Worth hasn't been drafted yet. Everything I've heard and read had him as a top 20 prospect in the Texas high school ranks.

6. Collier11

Collier11 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Yes, doesn't matter what ship you are on, in MLB you can either go out of HS or you have to play 3. If that isn't the exact rule someone feel free to correct me

7. BoomerJack

BoomerJack New Member

"The high school catcher from Cali (Nottingham) reminds me a lot of Hunter Lockwood from a couple years back. He's got a lot of power for a high school kid and is an all-around phenomenal athlete."

I hope he's not like Lockwood in the sense that he plays only one year then transfers to a J.C. because he didn't want to compete for the starting job. I also hope he doesn't strike out so much like Lockwood did in conference games.

8. TumbleweedDoom

TumbleweedDoom New Member

OU pitcher Billy Waltrip goes in the 12th round.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  9. TumbleweedDoom

OU Juco signee Travis Remillard goes in the 13th round. He's a pitcher out of NEO.

10. TumbleweedDoom

OU JUCO signee Chase Simpson goes in the 21st round. He's a pitcher out of Seminole State.

11. TumbleweedDoom

OU pitcher Ethan Carnes goes in the 21st round.

12. TumbleweedDoom

OU pitcher Jake Fisher goes in 22nd round.

13. TumbleweedDoom

OU signee Alec Hansen, tall pitcher out of Loveland, Colo., was taken in the 25th round.

14. trwxxa

trwxxa New Member

Thomas selected by the Yankees in round 30.

15. TumbleweedDoom

Sheldon Neuse, an OU signee out of high school, goes in the 38th round.

16. colston15

colston15 New Member

Just FYI, Hansen has already said he'll be going to school. So that's good for us.

17. hvhurricane

hvhurricane New Member

He was the one guy who we really needed to step up this year and he just didn't get it done. I am sure he will sign.

Also, the rule is that you have to play three years or turn 21 before the draft. Some kids turn 21 after their soph year.

18. colston15

colston15 New Member

Billy's problems are all mental. 100%.

It's not unheard of, but it's pretty crazy that a guy that didn't even really pitch the last two months of the season went so high in the draft. Oh to be left handed with a 90 mph fastball.

19. soonertravis

soonertravis New Member

This is correct. One can be a draft eligible Sophomore.

I read that every 7th round pick signed last year. It has to be tough to turn down money in hand and minor league coaching/development. I hope we are surprised and we get one or two of these kids into school who were picked in the top 10 rounds, but it will be hard. People picked after Round 10 can sign for only up to $100,000 or the excess counts against the team's bonus pool money. They are more likely to come back or come to school.

A lot depends on a kid's desire. College isn't for some people. Some kids want to attend college for the experience. Others don't want to deal with the rigors of school while also playing 50-60 baseball games.

Another avenue some of these kids have is to go to JUCO. That way they stay draft eligible every year. It has happened before where an OU signee doesn't sign with the team who drafted him but elects to go to JUCO instead. We really won't know much until the deadline passes in July and the kids enroll in August.

20. colston15

colston15 New Member

No surprise, but Oberste has signed.