1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sooner womens basketball thread

Discussion in 'Sooner Basketball' started by badger, Oct 11, 2012.

1. oudanny

oudanny New Member

Let it go Sic. Life's too short. You've been a good soldier.

SicEmBaylor likes this.
  2. Monster Zero

Monster Zero Member

IOW you can't take it yourself so you dish it out here.

I'm not sure that I'm above having a little fun at Mulkey's expense, but I'm pretty damned sure I've never posted any thing about Griner here or anywhere else. Nor to my recollection have I ever posted anything to you.

I'm sorry if you're pissed off about some of the stuff directed at them around here that's probably unfair, 'specially in Griner's case. (Mulkey's a big girl, she knows that some unfair bs comes with the job.) Problem is, if it ain't right for us around here, it ain't right for you neither.

A decent person wouldn't be taking that kind of stuff out on four young ladies, no matter where they go to school. It ain't funny, no matter which one of those young ladies' mom or dad you might be seeing it here. And it don't have any more class or decency here than the hsit you complain about that's directed at Griner. (Mulkey can take up for herself for all I care.)

Now I know you're gonna have something else to say to me so I'll let you have the last (predictably rude, classless, profane) word with me.

3. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

It seems to me that Vet and SicEm could take whatever they feel is right or wrong on this board and take it over to Vet's Board and discuss anything they want, however they want and be as rude or nasty about it is they want and nobody's feelings will be hurt over it.

Hell....it's a free Country.

SicEm could even open up a Skeletor Board with a V-Bulltin Site.

Funny thing is that Lid is gone. I'm not sure why you would bring him into this? Heck even most Non-Sooner Posters don't last long here. SicEm has lasted quite a while but I don't think he knows his place when it comes to OU vs Baylor.

4. C&CDean

C&CDean Administrator

Sicem,

In the kindest sense, eat dog****. Griners dick is bigger than mine, mulkey is a skank ho, and Baylor will always be just Baylor. No offense to chuck who loves the lady bears + 1 penis having freak.

Yes, blame only me for disparaging remarks about griner. Leave everyone else alone. I think they draw blood from her to make that super T testosterone **** you need to be taking.

Monster Zero likes this.
  5. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

I love Dean. He's the law here, in case you haven't heard. I'm just a little imposter modador.

The Big 12 has 7 teams in the NCAA womens tournament.

This is especially awesome since I think we have just one ranked team in the top 25... not that the top 25 matters, actually yes, it does in the womens game, where upsets are few and far between in these brackets. More on that later if I can survive the end of this season.

As per tradition when I am not hospitalized in March, I will now give a rundown of my fearless predictions on how each Big 12 team does. The predictions have been fairly accurate in the past, everything from OU's Final Four runs to Texas being repeatedly ousted in the first rounds, even when they played at home (yes, as funny then as it sounds today). But really, I'd rather be wrong and OU win it all, just once.

View the entire 64-team bracket (remember, this is WOMENS) here.

THAT TEAM (1-seed, OKC region)
    In accordance with my own request to not mention THAT TEAM by name the rest of this thread, I will from this day forward be referring to them as THAT TEAM in this thread. They are not infallible and in fact have already lost this year. That is why despite having arguably the best player in the history of the college womens game, she will end her career with only one national title. Well, that's one more than we have.

Prediction: Final Four loss to Satanford

ISU (5-seed, Spokane region)
    Iowa State got the unlucky draw of being in the same side of the bracket as 1-seed Satanford, but fortunately, they will not meet them until the Sweet 16 (assuming no slipup before then on that [email protected] tree's part). Iowa State is a solid program and a longtime nemesis of Sherri Coale's, much like Satanford. But, there's one nemesis that is clearly more talented.

Prediction: Sweet 16 (loss to Satanford)

OU (6-seed, OKC region)
    Don't get too excited -- the NCAA has typically given OU the best draw that it can only to have OU make badger cry. I am having flashbacks to our talented little scrappers of 2004, who if they won their first two games, would be playing for the Final Four in the next two rounds AT HOME. Not just Oklahoma City, AT HOME. So, what do we do? Lose to Satanford in the second round. Gaaaah. There are too many similarities to that year to ignore. It's going to sadly happen again and I really want to be wrong, even if our reward is having to face THAT TEAM yet again in the Sweet 16.

Prediction: Second round (loss to UCLA, who we previously lost to by 6 in Norman back in November)

Texas Tech (7-seed in Spokane region)
    They get to have the first two games at home. But, remembering how few turned out when we visited town during the closing game of the regular season (which determined who got the higher Big 12 tourney seed right behind THAT TEAM), will that even matter? No. Sorry, Tech.

Prediction: Second round loss to Cal

OSU (7-seed in Norfolk region)
    Congrats to the 2012 WNIT champions! Your reward? A second-round exit against Duke! Wait, that's too predictable. I'm going to go out on a limb and say...

Prediction: First round exit against DePaul

West Virginia (11-seed in Bridgeport region)
    Poor WVU. They join the Big 12 and we embarrass them in football. Then we embarrass them in their beloved mens basketball. Now they have to open the tournament against Elena Delle Donne of Delaware. Yes, that player they talked non-stop about last year. You know how this one ends...

Prediction: First round exit against Elena Delle Donne/Delaware

Kansas (12-seed in Norfolk region)
    Oh boy, an ex-Big 12 matchup against Colorado! Sure, let's shout "eff the traitors" just out of tradition.

Prediction: Upset of 5-seed Colorado in first round. Did I mention that game is in Boulder?

My predictions are fearless. I'll preview the OU game later this week maybe.

6. SicEmBaylor

SicEmBaylor Baylor Ambassador

I predict the good guys, BAYLOR!!!, will win their third national championship title.

I think OU, also the good guys just slightly less so, makes it at least to the second round.

7. Chuck Bao

Chuck Bao SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Planning on driving up to OKC because at least one of the Big XII schools and quite possibly both make it that far. If OU does, my family has pre-ordered the tix.

8. badger

We play 11:10 a.m. Saturday

There's not really much I can say about Central Michigan since I know very little about them. They are the Chippewas are went part of that infamous trifecta of "directional michigan" that was weekly lampooned by ESPN's Bottom 10 football poll a few years ago.

The winner of this game likely earns the right to lose to UCLA, the team we lost to at home back before Whitney Hand got retired via injury. :(

So, here's Coach Coale:

So, let's just pretend they're any opponent in the Big 12 not named THAT TEAM. Here's how we win against 8 out of the 9 other teams in the Big 12:

Hit lots of threes: We are capable of this, meaning we are capable of beating practically everybody out there. If this isn't working, we are going to need to go with set shots inside the arch, dribble driving to get to the free throw line and solid defense on the other end (usually involves taking charges and stealing the ball... both done by Ellen Burger first and foremost).

Make our damn free throws: Isn't this usually a mens basketball problem, not womens? Seriously, let's be stereotypical and make our free throws as well, if not better than our Sooner men. PLEASE!!!!! If we don't, we are going to have to make up the difference on defense by not giving the other team foul shots. That way, the foul line points will be equal-ish.

Minimize turnovers, but keep a faster tempo: We are going to lose the turnover battle. We are going to. We just need to realize that going in. But, that doesn't mean we are going to lose, because we won many games this season while still committing turnovers into the teens and 20s (don't think we hit the 30s, but could be mistaken). If we become too turnover happy, we just have to slow the game down to stop the bleeding.

Fast break points: Ellen Burger (it's a better nickname than Vegas! IT IS! Don't tell me it isn't! ELLEN BURGER! HA!) is best at this, especially after one of her ball thief acts. We have some other speedy players in there, but even the slower ones can help by passing the ball down court fast (NOT by heaving the ball over our players' heads, please).

How we lose:

Well, let's just look at other other Sherri Coale exoduses...

2011: Second round, St. John's: We shot well, 48% percent, but we had foul troubles (especially Morgan Hook) and missed some key shots down the stretch to lose by 4.

2010: **** Notre Dame.

2009: **** Stanford.

2008: **** Louisville.

You know, this was a bad idea to look back at those disappointing season ends because now I have a sad video of sad Whitney Hand sobbing after the St. John loss. Thanks a lot, video autoplay on NewsOK.com :mad:

So, let me just summarize what are tourney experience will be this postseason:

WE WILL WIN OR LOSE BASED ON HOW WELL AARYN "VEGAS" ELLEN BURGER PLAYS.

Sherri, do you agree?

The game is televised by ESPN2.

Boomer!

9. Salt City Sooner

Salt City Sooner New Member

FWIW, that's 11:10 Eastern.

10. hawaii 5-0

hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Zero dark thirty in Hawaii.

5-0

11. texaspokieokie

texaspokieokie New Member

it's whup around.

12. pphilfran

pphilfran SoonerFans.com Elite Member

IF you have Dirctv it is on 731

13. C&CDean

C&CDean Administrator

Girls won first game. Yay.

14. badger

OU 78, Chippewomen 73

I hope tourney wins never get old, even if we're consensus No. 1 going up against consensus No. 64. Central Michigan brought a nice-sized fan contingent (they were apparently very close to home at tOSU) but we just wouldn't stop making shots. So, it's onto a rematch with UCLA. Oh boy...

Key statz:
    "Double Double" has a Double Double: Hooray for Joanna earning her (probably) more desired nickname (than "Four/Five Foul McFarland"). She had 18 pts and 17 rebounds. Stat line says she had only one block, but I swear she had more. She was everywhere out there yesterday.

Ellen Burger leads scoring: 22 pts, 7 rebounds. Can we negotiate a few more years of eligibility for our awesome junior pretty please, NCAA?

Nicole, oh dear: My patience or her eligibility. Which will run out first? The junior tall girl played 30 minutes, but only recorded 6 pts, 3 rebounds and a block. NP commented that being tall doesn't make you good at basketball. I snapped back that she'd probably be worse if she was short like me. Alas, she is running out of time to become the player we all hoped she'd be when we signed her 6'6" self outta Milwaukee. :(

24 turnovers: Can we go for 30 against UCLA? Seriously, I've given up on this stat. It's a miracle if we keep it under 20 on any given game against any form of respectable opponent (sorry Sherri, your alma mater doesn't count).

They had a girl on Central Michigan with 36 pts: Well, at least we kept the other Chippewomen under 12 each?

I'm gonna end it here because baby baj really wants to play with the computer.

NEXT GAME: 6:15 p.m. Monday vs UCLA on ESPN2.

15. badger

UCLA preview:
    Being with some OU sport support group like band (and likely cheer, Ruf/Neks, Soonermen and the others) means you have stories on a lot of teams out there. Such is the case with UCLA...

The year was 2005. We were in the middle of the Rhett Bomar/Paul Thompson reloaded-not-rebuilding travesty that failed. We had already been upset at home by TCU, we barely beat Tulsa and now we were going to lose at UCLA in the Rose Bowl. Well, at least they flew us pep banders out there (about 100 of us) and promised us steak on the flight back.

Pregame: Our bus driver was blaring her horn at a bunch of slutty bleach blond haired UCLA girls who are trying to land trophy husbands with MRS degrees or something... even though our bus is clearly trying to pass through this road, they are constantly crossing in front of us, with no signs of anyone stopping to let us through. Finally a police officer takes mercy on us after about 5 minutes of no movement. We proceed to take a wrong turn and get stuck surrounded by pedestrians. Gah.

Halftime: Oh god, they have an Aggie yell leader (Guy: "Who does America want us to be?" Crowd: "THE BRUINS!" No joke that's verbatim). And since their school is not yet in session, their halftime performance is not a marching band... it's a frisbee-catching dog.

Postgame: The trashiest of the trash fans remind us that we lost all the way to our bus. Our band director, who had been for years coaching us on dealing with this trash, finally got to put his instruction into practice:

Bruin fan: **** the Sooners! **** the Sooners!

The director attempts to shake his hand and congratulate him on his team's win. He had previously coached us into believing that this will stop trash in its tracks, because it's hard to continue mocking a classy fan.

Bruin fan: (even louder) **** OU! **** THE SOONERS!

Epilogue: They lied. We didn't get steak on the postgame flight.

So, it pains me to know that we are going to lose to this big collective of Pac 12 trash know to its equally trashy Cali rivals as "OOO-CLAH" or something. They have one of the most talented female players to come out of the Tulsa area (Alyssia Brewer) who originally was at Tennessee before transfer. She is likely going to be the one to beat us.

But really, much like it was single trashy fans that I remember, I don't write it off as "every fanbsae has trash, I'm sure that they're good as a whole," because that's not the truth. THIS ENTIRE UCLA COLLECTIVELY IS TRASH.

Proof from this weekend!

And I want to beat them.

If you want a real preview, check SS.com here. Otherwise, just know that the tipoff is 6:15 p.m. tonight on ESPN2.

Boomer!

Blue likes this.
  16. soonercastor

soonercastor New Member

She's making 3s rain!

17. Ruf/Nek7

Ruf/Nek7 New Member

And yet again, Sherri Coale's team is over-achieving in the tourney. This is seriously the only OU sports team that does more than what is expected in the post season. (Excluding gymnastics)

Blue likes this.
  18. Blue

Blue SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Amen to that. Great shooting performance. for a bunch of girls...;)

19. badger

I love being wrong :D more fun to recap tomorrow...

20. tycat947

tycat947 New Member

MEEEEEEEEEEEEE TOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

:congratulatory: