1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sooner womens basketball thread 2014-15

Discussion in 'Sooner Basketball' started by badger, Oct 13, 2014.

1. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

While the first exhibition game is Nov. 5, there will be free public scrimmage on Thursday. Details here at SS.com. Perhaps you'll be able to pick our your favorite new player in-game as opposed to in the photos/videos I'm posting here :D

Onto another n00b Sooner...
    Gileysa Penzo
    [​IMG]
    The jersey-pull makes her look like another 7-foot center, but actually Gileysa (please don't ask me to pronounce it please please please) is a 5'9" guard from Puerto Rico, but played most recently in some Florida academy named Montverde... as I read that I get a strange Italian accent going in my head.

I think initially looking at her stats on SS.com's profile you might wonder wtf is going on... shooting guard? Really? But, as ouhoops.com thread points out (along with the correct pronunciation) she was on the FIBA team, so she must be awesome.

Plus, that 7.6 ppg stat was from 2011 FIBA, not against HS buffoons like me :p

Check this video at about 35 second mark... a missed three she runs in and gets an easy two. Definitely reminds me of stuff our recent guards have done like D-Rob and Vegas-burger:
    [youtube]MyKzbVFGUes[/youtube]

baj's seasonal projection: I have no idea if Peyton will be our starter at this position or if she's gotten beat out by this hotshot freshmen, but either way, I have reason to have hope that this year will be better than the last. Please please please

2. tycat947

tycat947 New Member

Badg, not sure if you're aware, but Gileysa blew out her knee a few weeks ago and will be a sideline warrior this year. Guess we gotta have someone!!!

3. badger

badger before reading that:
    [​IMG]
    badger after reading that:
    [​IMG]

dammitdammitdammitdammitdammitdammitdammit did any of those actually make it by the word filter?

4. badger

After being virtually embarrassed with not knowing team injury news, I have consulted the real Sooner basketball experts at ouhoops on any other team injury issues. Shaya has a screw in her toe and will be out about 3 weeks, but Vivi appears to be the only other injury bug at this point.

BUT, just to be safe, let's skip the usual n00b profile today (it's scrimmage Thursday after all) and jump right to this shocking, earth shattering news:

Geno's girls are No. 1 again.

For Valentine's Day, I should ask NP if I can go to the Feb. 21 UConn @ Tulsa game so I can mercilessly heckle them. Four years in basketball band means I have tons of practice. Alas, I will not have basketball band protection against heckling (it's not as acceptable for non-student grown ups, especially women) so I would probably get kicked out after a few mins. Joke's on them... if mommy gets kicked out nothing holding her daughter back from running onto the court. Bawwww, your entire starting lineup just tripped over a toddler and is now out for the season with torn ACLs.

As Stoops would say, UConn's schedule is filled up with "a bunch of toughies" with the AAC conference now omitting the Catholic 7, namely Domer, and having an eternity ban on meeting Tennessee in the regular season again. Sure, they're still meeting Notre Dame, but they're not meeting them home-and-home and again in the conference tourney.

Oh, and since I should probably at least give a glancing mention of OUr own team... we are unranked and I cannot remember the last time we started a season unranked. Pre-Stacey Dales probably.

Here's the other noteables:
    8 Baylor
    9 Texas
    17 West Virginia
    21 Oklahoma St

This season suddenly feels longer. Boomer?

5. badger

6. badger

I've had womens basketball threads derailed by post-postgame loss depression, pregnancy and more, but have yet to stop threads due to football mourning even before the season started... and don't intend to start now.

Thursday exhibition: OU 106; SE Okla 56
    [​IMG]
    Perhaps we just left our should-be starters in longer, or perhaps we just have really good depth at shooting, but I recall days during the heyday of Sherri Final Four/top ten in polls teams (early aughts) where scoring 100 was not a given, even against exhibition opponents or some team they imported from Sweeden. As such, do not take the "106" number lightly --- the century mark is difficult even if you're playing against the lowliest of competition and after Saturday's Owen Field debacle... GIMME SCORING SOONERS GIMME THREE BAJILLION SCORES MORE

Sooner statz:

Other Nicole is now only Nicole: After at least one season nyucking it up that there was Tall Nicole and Other Nicole, Kornet is now the team's leading scorer after one (exhibition, yes) game, with 18 points. 7 for 12 from the field; 4 of 8 from three. All in just 17 minutes.

Fill my eyes with double figures: Peyton Little (12 points); Kaylon Williams (15 points); Sharane Campbell-Olds (12 points); Gioya Carter (12); and LaNesia Williams (11 points).

Gabbi for the rebound: Led all Sooners with 10. The game's box score sucks so I really have no idea how each player's rebounds breakdown on offense and defense, so I'm basing this fun on the SS.com recap.

Sherri, what say you?

Next game: 7 p.m. Friday vs Washington. TV is Sooner Sports TV so they might actually show it on Fox Sports Oklahoma/Southwest/Insert Regional Channel Here. Seriously, I've seen OU womens games on all regional channels before, even those east/great lakes areas. Tee hee.

Boomer...

PS: Yes, Sharane Campbell now is married to her longtime boyfriend Terance Olds. I know nothing about the guy, but with them the best.

7. hawaii 5-0

hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Nice opening win vs. Washington. Great team effort. A deep team this year and no 'superstar' attitudes. Actually there never were on Sherri's teams.

5-0

8. badger

Sherri 400; OU-Wash 90-80
    [​IMG]
    I really have nothing bad to say about the Washington (Lady?) Huskies. When OU traveled up there for football a few years ago and bent Jake Locker's head around like a Pez dispenser (or an action figure, it was 180 degrees in some photos) those poor Husky fans were en route to an 0-12 season, but for some reason still showed up en masse and waved their hats for kickoffs and pretended like they were the team that could have been the 2000 National Champions*

*Trophy not included; you lost to Oregon, nyah nyah.

While not as big-time as Pokette's next foe (at #11 UNC on Tuesday, OUCH) the (Lady?) Huskies are legit Pac 12 competition and it's a good way to start the season. We're not ranked yet (No. 26 in AP poll released today) but we keep racking up wins they won't be able to ignore us forever.

Sooner statz:

Doubling up for double doubles: Sharane-Campbell-Olds-Is-Awesome and Kaylon "Kay Kay" Williams both got double double with 26 and and 23 and 10 respectively.

Assist to turnover plague: We spread it to UW! While we had an abysmal 15 to 17 assist-turnover ratio, UW had an utterly atrocious 10 to 20! Haha, it's contagious!

F***ing free throws: Maybe if I start cursing about it our curse will end on this? 19 for 37, compared to UW's 17 of 20. To quote Cartman, "**** ****ity **** **** ****."

1 for 10: That was our three-point shooting during the second half. It's a good thing U-Verse decided I wasn't subscribed to this channel, or things would have been thrown in my living room.

Sherri?

Why yes, it WAS Sherri's 400th win! Would you like to see everything SS.com did for Sherri? Here you go.

Next game: Lamar at home, 7 p.m. Tuesday. TV is once again FCSC so I don't get it, but check here to see if you do.

Booommmerrrrrr...

9. hawaii 5-0

hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

I'll be watchin' it.

5-0

10. badger

OU 100, Lamar 73
    [​IMG]
    During one of Billy Tubb's billy-on-commentary moments, he mentioned that when he coached Lamar that students would chant "we want tacos" as the team approached 100 points... it was a promotion or something. That was a few seasons ago, back when I could watch every game on Cox cable. NP switched us to U-Verse, so I didn't get to watch us beat Lamar, but w00t for us winning.

LaNesia Williams last off the bench: But first in team rebounding with 8. Also added 13 points, because when OU scored 100 everyone has to log a lot of points.

**** you, badger: After complaining last game about everything from assists/turnovers, threes and frees, OU responds with 35 percent (11 of 31) three shooting; 70 percent free throws (7 of 10) and an 28-to-15 assist to turnover ratio.

Sharane-Hyphenated-Name-Cuz-She's-Married-Now: Seems to have separated herself as the bona fide team leader this year only a few games in, yes. 16 points and 6 rebounds in 26 minutes.

Sherri?

Next game: 7 p.m. Friday hosting Bradley. TV is... FCSC. :mad::mad::mad:

Boooommmerrrrrrr

PS: Yes, I'm gonna fire up the basketball meltdown thread soon, just not sure when. Surely UConn women cried after Stanford beat them. I should know, they've beaten us way too many times over the years :mad:

11. badger

Y'know what I like about this part of the basketball season? This is the part where reality doesn't need to *quite* set in yet and the sky is the limit for your world beating team that is scoring 100+ and making all foes look inferior... and Baylor looks quite inferior right now from their basement view of the conference:
    [​IMG]

I do not believe that the 7 p.m. tonight game against Bradley televised by some channel I don't get on U-verse will cause reality to sink in... but for the time being, there are four Big 12 teams with a loss already and OU is not one of them.

Booooommmeerrrrr...

12. badger

OU 104, Bradley 55
    [​IMG]
    Well girls, I'm glad you got to watch the game at least. FCSC issues notwithstanding, we upped our 100-point game streak to two and beat some team that I think made the men's tournament at some point or some other random claim to fame. Make your own silly jokes, but our women are headed to the Virgin Islands next for a tournament where some tougher competition is expected.

Sooner statz:

Stacey Dales: She nearly helped us dethrone almighty UConn and I was happy to witness such a feat as a freshman in college. Even though she's had her issues with ESPN and hyphenated names since those glory days, it's good to see OU honoring her for her OU accomplishments. I think she also had a 4.0 GPA. Go Stacey!

F***ing free throws: 9 of 16 is nothing to brag about unless it's your three pointers made/attempted. Maybe we should start jump shooting them like that Wisconsin guy did last season?

Threethreethree3333treetrestrees: We improved our three from first to second half, about 36 percent up to 45 percent, making 9 of 22 overall.

Sharing the minutes: Only two players logged 20+ minutes and the most got 12+. Only exception was Whitney Ritchie with 6.

Sherri?

Next game: 7:15 p.m. Thursday Paradise Jam Tournament vs South Florida, with games vs Kentucky and Illinois on Friday and Saturday. No TV or radio mentioned so I promise to limit FCSC griping for at least a week.

Booomerrrrr...

13. badger

Nevermind.
    [​IMG]
    Anyone thinking that one down season would be all OU needed to return to Final Four and Big 12 championship talk might as well listen to Mack Brown's whorncrap after the 5-7 season.

Well, at least there's overtime...

Thursday: OU 68, South Florida 83
    Friday: OU 88, Kentucky 90 (OT)
    Saturday: OU 78, Illinois 76 (OT)

OU will be playing Sundays only the next few weeks, so please don't confuse me with a fairweather badger if I'm not giving updates ;)

Boomer Sooner anyways!

14. badger

OU 68, pUNT 39
    [​IMG]
    I really have no idea which Sooner team will show up game to game, but perhaps the bigger question is which opponent are we facing and in this case, on Sunday, we traveled just south of our border to our perennial non-conference football cupcake. As the Nice (not Mean) Green are now 0-6, it appears we have found ourselves a womens basketball cupcake as well.

Sooner statz:
    40-16: That was the halftime score, so it could have been worse but it appeared that we tapped the brakes... or this...

31 turnovers: ****ity **** **** ****!!!!!! But the usual cause for cursing...

13 of 18: For free throws. That's not terrible, but not great I guess... not as bad as...

2 of 10: Second-half three point shooting. Haha, I bet it was painful to watch. 3 of 13 in first half. Uggggh.

There are no postgame quotes on SS.com so I'll just google for a Sherri Coale quote...

HAHA! And quite timely! Texas is now ranked ahead of Baylor in this week's AP poll, where OU got a measly 3 votes. That's what we get for losing twice in the Virgin Islands tournament. Ah well.

Next game: 4 p.m. Sunday at Arky Little Rock. I don't think anyone's bothering to televise this.

Boomerrrrrrrrr

15. Soonerjeepman

Soonerjeepman SoonerFans.com Elite Member

caught the last 10 minutes maybe, yes...Sherri expressions told it all...lol. It's good to frustrated with a 30 point lead.

Now, ku might be for real......haven't really looked but they just knocked off #10.

16. badger

KU has seemed to make a passable effort in recent years to try to make their womens bball team less mediocre, but not so much that they're willing to go out and hire a big name highly paid coach like UT tried a few years ago :p

KU is another reminder what happens to your college program if adidas gets ahold of your uniforms. Ugly womens basketball uniforms!

17. tycat947

tycat947 New Member

Bonnie was pretty highly paid when KU brought her in and took her a long while to produce any results, which seem to be sporadic. She's been there 10 years and any where else would probably have been fired for the high salary and low results. She might make it now though.

18. Soonerjeepman

Soonerjeepman SoonerFans.com Elite Member

the ONLY think ku cares about is men's bball...the rest can go in the toilet for all they care...or so it seems.
    Although their baseball field is pretty nice.

19. badger

They've been dumping a lot of money in football failures lately. That to me suggests that they want better non-MBB sports, they just don't know how to get there.

As tycat mentioned, they did about the same thing for WBB, but weren't as mediocre as football in that regard, so no firing after 2 seasons a la Charlie Weis/Turner Gill.

20. tycat947

tycat947 New Member

The AD's at KU should be fired for hiring Weis/Gill! I can't think of any two worse coaches!