1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"SONICWATCH," official thread

Discussion in 'OKC Thunder Talk' started by badger, May 29, 2008.

1. Mixer!

Mixer! Well-Known Member

2. RedStripe

RedStripe New Member

Seattle PI: So you're saying there's a chance?

3. RedStripe

RedStripe New Member

sound off

4. Dio

Dio SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Rumors are starting to swirl about a settlement...

5. Partial Qualifier

Partial Qualifier SoonerFans.com Elite Member

6. Collier11

Collier11 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Trying not to get too excited but it is looking more and more like we will have a team next yr

7. Dio

Dio SoonerFans.com Elite Member

8. BigRedJed

BigRedJed Mmm... ...ribs.

It's done. Schultz was the holdup. Clay and Co. wouldn't settle until Mr. Starbucks dropped his suit, which he has now agreed to do. The negotiations began in earnest after the beatdown the city got in court.

I'm still not sure on the terms. There was talk of the same amount the Sonics offered several weeks ago (which was summarily turned down by Seattle), LESS the nearly $3 million the Sonics had to spend to defend this ridiculous suit. However, I think they may have relented on that, and in fact might be giving even a little more cash to offset more of the debt service on Key.

9. NormanPride

NormanPride SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Thanks for keeping the discussion going while NP and I are on vacation (It is wonderful, btw).

I just saw the news on the settlement. If I had to vBet with vCash on it, I'd say one more year in Seattle and an early opt out of the lease. Basically, a lame duck Seattle year, then coming to OKC a year early (or a year late, depending on how you look at it).

In any event, it makes me curious how the judge would rule in such a case without a settlement. Mr. Starbucks really needed to drop his suit, as it is apparent that his business is going south (not literally - Starbucks apparently is closing 600 stand-alones this year because more fast fooders, like Mickie D's, is embracing cheaper coffee, so that leaves Starbucks out).

In any event, I need to get back to vacation, but thanks again for keeping the discussion going. If only the good news came earlier (or later), I would have gotten little bells and whistles to celebrate the NBA coming to the state.

Ah well :) At least you know your Starbucks boycott worked wonders :D

10. BigRedJed

Uh... ...you're welcome?

And frankly, a settlement most likely means hoop in OKC this year. A lame-duck season does NOBODY any good, and only means more heartache and bad feelings for the next year in Seattle. Clean break. Also, Seattle is settling in part because they know it's their best chance of at some point bringing a team back to their city, and they'll need to get to work on that.

11. Big Red Ron

Big Red Ron SoonerFans.com Elite Member

75 mill seemes like a lot to play here next year.

Civicus_Sooner likes this.
  12. Collier11

Collier11 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Not a law expert but I would guess that it is over a long period of time and can be reduced if the NBA goes back to Seattle. Im sure Stern said you lost the trial and if you ever want a team again, settle this now

13. birddog

birddog SoonerFans.com Elite Member

i still don't see how schultz could build a java empire but not have the business sense to see what was coming when he sold the team.

****off dip****.

14. BigRedJed

He should have seen what was coming, considering at the time of the sale, he smilingly shared a news conference with the new owner who said, IN SAID NEWS CONFERENCE, "get something going on a new building or we're moving."

15. BigRedJed

Well, I had bad info on the Schultz suit. Still kicking. But they definitely don't think much of it, obviously.

16. RedStripe

RedStripe New Member

We did it our way babyyyyy!!!!

[​IMG]

17. illinisooner

illinisooner New Member

18. BigRedJed

888-618-HOOP to get on the list for ticket contact.

19. GrapevineSooner

GrapevineSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

For any lifelong Sonics fans, I feel bad for you.

But don't direct your blame at Clay Bennett. Direct it towards your idiotic city leaders that couldn't see the forest through the trees, never really worked with the Sonics to secure funding for a new arena, and when the writing was on the wall, tried a last ditch scorched Earth policy that failed miserably to the point that they accepted a buyout that doesn't even guarantee that they'll get another team.

20. reevie

reevie New Member

Here's David Stern's press release