1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So the thread about Gresham was locked.

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by TopDawg, Sep 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harry Beanbag

Harry Beanbag SoonerFans.com Elite Member

There's probably some yahoo that went to high school with Gonzalez that still talks about what a lazy wuss he is because he doesn't block like Orlando Pace. Nevermind he's arguably the greatest receiving TE in NFL history.

Some people just like to get their jollies by ridiculing other people, probably just out of jealousy. Maybe it makes them feel like a bigger man or helps them get over their own shortcomings in life by pointing out other's perceived faults. Admitting they were wrong would only make them feel smaller inside.

JohnnyMack likes this.
  2. Scott D

Scott D SoonerFans.com Elite Member

psst... Tony Gonzales still sucks as a blocker ;)

3. JohnnyMack

JohnnyMack SoonerFans.com Elite Member

He's better than he was, negative Nancy*.

*My use of the phrase negative Nancy was not a personal attack. It was an effort at levity and I already apologize for making that comment.

Harry Beanbag likes this.
  4. Scott D

Scott D SoonerFans.com Elite Member

that usage only applies if I was truly being negative and not being facetious about the entire matter. I really don't care how well Tony Gonzales blocks unless it involves him missing blocks against Oakland :D

now a serious reply would have brought up the age old argument that there are blocking tight ends and receiving tight ends, and the best you can hope for is for them to become a little better than adequate at the aspect that is considered a weakpoint in their game.

5. 1stTimeCaller

1stTimeCaller SoonerFans.com Elite Member

that other Gresham thread is full of comedy gold.

6. 1stTimeCaller

Regarding the game in which Crimson Helmet graded Gresham's performance:

Did Gresham give up any sacks?

Could some of the blocks that CH graded as 'missed' have been chips blocks?

How many times did his man tackle to ball carrier?

When he made blocks was he blocking the correct man?

7. TopDawg

TopDawg SoonerFans.com Elite Member

You guys are getting better at this. Way to go!

I'm thrilled with Gresham's receiving so far. His blocking performance against Tulsa was apparently very good and he even warranted a "look at this block" replay against Colorado.

Good on him (or Wilson) for lighting a fire and working on that. I hope he continues to improve. While it's true that some TEs can get along just fine on receiving, you'd sure hate to see someone with the potential to be the next Keith Jackson settle on being just a really big receiver.

8. jk the sooner fan

jk the sooner fan loved by all

perhaps JG's performance in Ardmore is more a reflection of the coaching he got there huh?

9. 1stTimeCaller

Yet smart-assed comments keep showing up in your posts!!!

Hooray for instigation!

usmc-sooner and Harry Beanbag like this.
  10. jk the sooner fan

i thought we agreed on condescending?

usmc-sooner likes this.
  11. 1stTimeCaller

I didn't know how to spell that word.

12. usmc-sooner

usmc-sooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I hope they can work the suck out of him, before he leaves for the NFL and bukoo big bucks :rolleyes:
    maybe we should consult the Crimson Helmet and Top Dawg to work out his flaws :D :D :D :D :D

13. TopDawg

Welcome back!

14. TopDawg

heh...I just thought it was funny that some people who admittedly overreacted to an attack on Gresham are now mocking people who overreact to personal attacks.

15. TopDawg

I didn't mean to imply that if he didn't reach the Keith Jackson level that meant that he sucked. And I'll leave it to Coach Wilson and the staff to continue working on his blocking. If Crimson Helmet wants to stay involved, so be it.

16. usmc-sooner

usmc-sooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

So you don't like it when someone is critical of you being critical of a player.

17. TopDawg

No, I don't have a problem with that. For starters, I wasn't being critical of Gresham...at least, no more so than Coach Wilson was. If people want to be critical of me for what I've said about Gresham's abilities, that's fine with me.

But that's not what's happening here. What's happening here is that people who admittedly overreacted to player criticism are now mocking me (I presume) for, or accusing me of, overreacting to their personal attacks. And I really don't have a problem with that either. They're welcome to their opinion that I've overreacted as well. I just wanted to point out the irony.

18. jk the sooner fan

i hadnt realized i ever left

i think your quick rush to defend crimson helmets comments are probably what have you lumped together with him

19. TopDawg

Sorry. I wasn't trying to imply that you'd been baned...just that you were all over this thread in the beginning and then disappeared.

Oh yeah...I can totally see why I've been lumped together with CH. And although I think that his general premise may have some legs (because even Coach Wilson said that Gresham has a history of playing soft), I tried to go out of my way to say that this thread was not about CH being justified in his opinion of Gresham and more about about personal attacks getting in the way of football discussion.

20. jk the sooner fan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.